sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2016 10:52 pm  #1

The Map That Lets You Listen to the Radio Everywhere

I'm not entirely sure what to make of "Radio Garden," a new interactive map launched on Monday that lets you tune in radio stations around the world in real time. But it sure was fun to play with and I love the fake "static" that comes on as you tune in a new station. 

According to The Atlantic magazine:

"Radio Garden allows you to travel not just through space, but through time—or at least time zones. So when it’s 5:08 a.m. in Nome, Alaska, and the local radio station is playing “Mercy Came Running,”—a song by the Christian trio Phillips, Craig and Dean—it’s also 5:08 p.m. in Moscow, where Haddaway’s 1993 hit “What Is Love” is on the radio.

At the same time—as in literally at the same time—you might find Bruno Mars’s “Grenade” playing in Rome, where it’s 3:08 p.m., and Billy Idol’s “Dancing With Myself” playing in Honolulu, where it’s 4:08 a.m, and The Talking Heads’s “Wild Wild Life” playing in Buenos Aires , where it’s 11:08 a.m. (That’s in addition to all the songs in languages other than English playing everywhere from Ghana to Egypt to Mexico.)"

For some bizarre reason, every time I go to the main page, it lands me on CINA, the Indian language station on the X-Band out of Mississauga. You can see where it takes you here. 

December 13, 2016 12:11 am  #2

Re: The Map That Lets You Listen to the Radio Everywhere

Sort of a fun exercise. Did not find anything interesting in North America but it was a cursory listen and I am sure there's some. Also not sure why North Carolina came up when I thought I was in The Western USA. Also I tired on two computers and it worked fine on the older one but could not connect on the newer one which I tried just now. Not sure if perhaps the system is down.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 13, 2016 8:01 am  #3

Does it matter if I have ad blocker on? 
All I'm getting is "fake" static at this time, with a world swirling around on my screen and nothing to click on or anything.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 13, 2016 8:50 am  #4

Mine works fine & automatically lands on 640 Toronto (John Moore & Jerry Agar will be stewing when they learn about this)

December 13, 2016 8:55 am  #5

St. Thomas shows on screen as "Saint Thomas"

570 news shows as "Kitchener" (not Berlin)

it's 3:22 a.m. in Waialua Hawaii where Oldies 101 sounds like they borrowed their 45s from CJOY Guelph

Last edited by geo (December 13, 2016 9:21 am)

December 13, 2016 9:26 am  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Does it matter if I have ad blocker on? 

No, I have ad blocker with 5 filters turned on and can access the site appropriately.

December 13, 2016 8:36 pm  #7

Working fine for me. Maybe I still have an older Google Chrome. (?)
Working great in Firefox. (with no ad blocker)
It gave me G98.7. Clearly a pure random choosing.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 13, 2016 9:12 pm  #8

"I Heart Radio"? I heart failure.