sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2016 12:32 pm  #1

Goodbye old CHUM

From Warren Cosford's list:

"The Iconic home of 1050 CHUM AM and CHUM FM on Yonge Street went under the wrecking ball today. I feel like a friend has passed away. I have a profound sense of sadness. At the same time I remember and celebrate the great memories that building holds for many Radio Veterans. Although I did not personally work in the Old CHUM Building, I was in the building on more than 1 occasion. Having been a Program Director for a former CHUM Group station in Alberta I still felt a connection to the "Mother-ship" on Yonge Street. Some of the very best radio personalities graced CHUM's Airwaves over the years. Back in the day, every young jock I worked with relished the thought of making it on Warren Cosford's CHUM Talent pool demo every month. Looking and hoping for that Big Break at CHUM! Dave Michaels"

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 29, 2016 12:32 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 29, 2016 1:40 pm  #2

Re: Goodbye old CHUM

Seven or eight years ago, when the final open house happened just before CHUM vacated (Craig Smith was still running this playpen) it was pretty much agreed that the site would become luxury condos or hybrid retail + condos and there was speculation that the developer would be required to retain 1331 Yonge's front façade (incorporate it into a modern building).    Then the sign went and thoughts of that disappeared.    

​Do they appear to be demolishing everything except the front, Yonge St. wall?     Would make for an interesting marketing program.    Sign here folks.    We have the Roger, Rick & Marilyn suite for $2 million.    Or the Mike Cleaver bachelor pad for a very affordable $600,000.      And don't forget to check out the recreation areas & the Al Boliska wet bar

September 29, 2016 2:22 pm  #3

Re: Goodbye old CHUM

grilled.cheese wrote:

I remember when I first started working there in the mid 80's.  It was a golden age of days gone by. 

With an attitude like that you'll be lucky to see the property manager's broom closet has been named after you