sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2023 10:54 am  #1

MASH, Cheers, Frasier Writer Recalls His Time In Top 40 Radio

His name is Ken Levine and if you've watched any of those shows (and a host of others) listed in the subject line, you've probably seen his name. (This talented man is also a baseball play-by-play guy.) He was on air in a number of markets, including Chicago and L.A., where he went under the moniker "Beaver Cleaver." Needless to say, with that background, he's a pretty witty guy.

So even if you've never heard his airchecks, you can appreciate he has great stories of his time in Top 40 radio. He outlined a few of them in a recent interview, and here's one of my favourites. It happened when his P.D. put him on the overnight graveyard shift, which he desperately did not want to work. He asked to be fired but when that didn't happen, he decided to expedite his exit. 

"So he stopped by the record store to buy a special album to play.

“Radio stations were getting hip and playing album cuts more and more, so this idea was perfect.” The album he purchased to play in its entirety? “Fiddler on the Roof,” he said. “In Yiddish … I was fired before ‘Anatevka’ finished playing.”

Ken Levine, formerly radio’s Beaver Cleaver, tells stories from an incredible career

March 27, 2023 11:00 am  #2

Re: MASH, Cheers, Frasier Writer Recalls His Time In Top 40 Radio

I got an "Oops that page can't be found" when I logged into the link.

March 27, 2023 11:25 am  #3

Re: MASH, Cheers, Frasier Writer Recalls His Time In Top 40 Radio