sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2023 3:07 pm  #1

News Readers

There is a woman on 1010 and I'm going to slaughter the spelling of her name - Meernya Trowgherleech.  Please correct me. However, she was reading about a youth who had succumbed to his injuries and she said "he subsequently died from his injuries" but she pronounced it sub-SEE-qwent-ly. Almost spit water out of my nose. 

February 10, 2023 3:15 pm  #2

Re: News Readers

As 1010 doesn't have a newsroom anymore and uses TV people to do radio news... I don't think quality with radio news is the focus right now.

Cheap only works with experienced oversite and coaching if you expect a level of quality.   I doubt time is spend on such things.  

February 10, 2023 3:54 pm  #3

I often talk to some radio friends about the almost unbelievable decline in the on-air quality of the once Mighty 1010 and how we all lament its passing. A place that used to boast of writers and announcers like Gordon Sinclair, Bob Hesketh ("The Way I See It,") Peter Dickens and of course the magnificent Jack Dennett has now shrunk itself into almost non-existence. 

They no longer have radio reporters - all their clips and stories come from either interviews done on the air by non-news people during talk shows or from CTV News. The problem with the latter is that CTV News only airs three times a day, so there's not much chance to get any updated reports from someone in the field who's actually there. 

They need to wait until noon or 6 PM to get new tape, but in case they haven't heard, news doesn't wait for your on-air deadlines. Why they don't use more audio from CP24 is baffling. I'm not surprised that Dave Agar demanded his name and the plaque dedicated to him when he retired be taken off the newsroom door when Bell did that mass firing that decimated the place a few years ago. After all, who wants to have the honour of representing a now empty room?

If you want to hear how it should be done, check out this Jack Dennett news/commentary from 1972 on the Munich Massacre at the Olympics, or this one on the end of the war in Vietnam. As they often say, they don't make them like that anymore. And we're all the poorer for it. 

February 10, 2023 7:01 pm  #4

So, an accent?

February 10, 2023 10:07 pm  #5

Mirna Trogrlic  Anchor/ Multi-Platform Writer at CTV News Toronto

Last edited by Fitz (February 10, 2023 10:08 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 10, 2023 10:12 pm  #6

Fitz wrote:

Mirna Trogrlic  Anchor/ Multi-Platform Writer at CTV News Toronto

Welp, I retract my comment. 

February 14, 2023 7:00 am  #7

The last authoritative and dependable radio news presenters I trusted were Dzintars Cers and Donna Tranquada. Nicole Martin (CBC) has that potential but with the modern demand of multiple percieved realities old fashioned qualities like trust are obsolete today.

February 14, 2023 8:15 am  #8

Mirna was one of my distant co-workers (same employer, different location) a few years back... likely chatted with her the odd time during our weekend slots.

I agree with 67GR on Cers (thank you for the spelling!) and Tranquada, having heard them on CBC Radio when my dad would have it on in the background all day. Looking back, before I got into the industry in 2000, there were still some excellent newsies on southern Ontario radio, and not just on CBC. Dick Smyth was definitely one of them, as was his CFTR co-worker Evelyn Macko... and closer to home in the Kawarthas, the late Don Blakely on Lindsay's CKLY.

March 2, 2023 2:11 pm  #9

Looks like she's taken another position as Assignment Editor at CP24. Posted 2 weeks ago on her socials.  I found listening to her difficult as she always sounded like she couldn't breathe and she was constantly stumbling over words with more than two or three syllables.  But good for her for finding something more up her alley.

Last edited by DaCosta (March 2, 2023 2:12 pm)