sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2023 1:12 pm  #1

Layoffs: The Right Way and The Wrong Way

Technically, this topic doesn't really belong in a media related site. Although, the way Bell and Rogers deal with this subject, a successful argument could be made. Several examples of the wrong method would include Elon Musk's boneheaded idea to eliminate half of Twitter's employees via e-mail. Then you have mortgage company Better.Com CEO Vishal Garg who decided it would be great to eliminate 900 of his employees via a Zoom meeting. However, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella had a better idea. Earlier this month, Microsoft announced it would layoff 10,000 of its employees by the end of Q3. That is about 5 % of its workforce which is not a big deal in terms of the overall size of the company. It is a big deal if you are one of the 10,000 who later this year will no longer have a regular pay cheque. This is the plan Nadella will implement for the unlucky employees. #1. All employees will receive 60 days notice of their layoff. #2. All employees will receive "Above Average Market" Severance Pay. #3 All employees will receive continued health care coverage for 6 months. #4. All employees will have continued vesting of Stock Awards for 6 months. #5. Career Transition Services will be made available for those who require it. In the short term, it appears this CEO is doing what he can to assist his soon to be ex-employees. Good on him.

January 20, 2023 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Layoffs: The Right Way and The Wrong Way

Just to bring this back to broadcasting, I well remember the story of the end of CISS-FM as a county station. As legend has it, Rogers had just bought the place, put the station on autopilot, invited all the staffers to a restaurant for a "meal on us," and then when employees got back to their home base, they found themselves locked out of the building and their possessions sitting in boxes in the lobby. 

They'd all been fired in their absence and management didn't have the cojones to confront them personally. That was cowardice like I have never seen, but it did not surprise me. I have to say I found the story hard to believe it was so outrageous, and I hoped it was apocryphal. I mean no company could be that miserable, right? 

But then I came across this story from RPM Magazine from Feb. 15, 1999. It wasn't just the employees who were out to lunch that day. It was their horrible (former) employer as well. 

January 20, 2023 5:49 pm  #3

I had forgotten about that Rogers stunt.  I was happy Country was gone. That was I had to endure every day at my then place of employment.

January 21, 2023 10:47 am  #4

I’m certain that Rogers tries to find new and demoralizing ways to lay off staff, (as they pull in billions). Back in 2010 while working at City News, we were invited to one of four “production meetings” the following day. Many of us invitees had figured it out but there were some who actually thought it was production related. When the bad news was delivered at least 3 people burst out crying, it was very uncomfortable. As I was leaving, I bumped into Mark Dailey, he asked me what was going on and I told him. He wrote his number on the back of his business card and told me to call if I needed to talk. It was the last time I was to see Dailey and I still have his card in my wallet.

Last edited by Shorty Wave (January 21, 2023 10:52 am)

January 21, 2023 11:56 am  #5

On the topic of Country Radio.....I worked in Country Radio for years and know how loyal  those who support the genre are. Some of these Toronto FM outlets almost have " hashmarks" in the ratings...why not give it a shot.?  Check the numbers in nearby Buffalo. WYRK  Country does very well there .

Last edited by fyshtalk (January 21, 2023 12:01 pm)