sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2022 7:11 pm  #1

Questions re your outdoor music system...

If you're happy with your outdoor music system, please share some information about the components you use.

In my situation, I'll be able to keep the receiver out of the weather, with speakers inside and out.

Is it controllable with a smartphone. If yes, by Bluetooth or by wifi?

And, how large is the yard and how many speakers do you use?

April 10, 2022 7:46 pm  #2

Re: Questions re your outdoor music system...

Sonos systems are really the best if you want multi-room indoor/outdoor listening.

They work over Wifi, which eliminates the synchronization issues of Bluetooth as well as all the problems wired systems present.

These outdoor speakers sound amazing - They're passive and require wiring to a Sonos amp.

I personally just go for theirportable speaker, which we place in the pergola only when needed - our backyard time is all centered around the BBQ/Pool, so it provides more than adequate coverage.

April 10, 2022 9:41 pm  #3

Yamaha stereo unit inside with ifi zen Bluetooth adaptor to a set of Bose 251 wall mounted and Bose Freespace 51 landscape speakers.  Immersive sound thruout.

April 11, 2022 7:48 am  #4

Sonos Roam - inexpensive, can stand a bit of rain and long battery life (rechargeable).  If you want stereo, buy two.  Full control from iphone, ipad, android, laptops, etc.  Supports dozens of streaming services, podcast, tune-in, etc.

April 11, 2022 4:16 pm  #5

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information.

To further clarify my situation, my backyard layout is 1.25 acres...no I don't intend to try to cover it all.  I have a primary-patio right behind the house, and a secondary-patio beside my large shop that is 150 feet from the house. I want an outdoor speaker in both areas, and want them to be controllable from my smartphone while sitting at either patio.

I do have an underground conduit from house to shop, currently carrying a CAT5e Ethernet cable which gives the shop-patio wired Internet. Plugged into that ethernet connection at the shop, I have a wifi booster that provides wifi to the secondary patio, while the house router provides wifi to the primary patio.

Assuming that I purchase two Sonos Move portable speakers (bluetooth and wifi), one would get wifi from the shop wifi booster while the other would get wifi from the house router. Given that both speakers must be on the same wifi network as the smartphone, will the wifi booster (in the shop) count as being on the same network? It is simply boosting the house's wifi.

(NOTE: I hope my attempt at being clear in the description of my situation hasn't made my question incoherent.)

Again, thanks for the info, so far.

April 18, 2022 10:11 am  #6

Dial Twister wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information.

To further clarify my situation, my backyard layout is 1.25 acres...no I don't intend to try to cover it all.  I have a primary-patio right behind the house, and a secondary-patio beside my large shop that is 150 feet from the house. I want an outdoor speaker in both areas, and want them to be controllable from my smartphone while sitting at either patio.

I do have an underground conduit from house to shop, currently carrying a CAT5e Ethernet cable which gives the shop-patio wired Internet. Plugged into that ethernet connection at the shop, I have a wifi booster that provides wifi to the secondary patio, while the house router provides wifi to the primary patio.

Assuming that I purchase two Sonos Move portable speakers (bluetooth and wifi), one would get wifi from the shop wifi booster while the other would get wifi from the house router. Given that both speakers must be on the same wifi network as the smartphone, will the wifi booster (in the shop) count as being on the same network? It is simply boosting the house's wifi.

(NOTE: I hope my attempt at being clear in the description of my situation hasn't made my question incoherent.)

Again, thanks for the info, so far.

This is not the forum to be honest of posting this stuff however, as for the wifi its been awhile since I had a booster, but when using the booster do you actually have to (on your phone) switch to a different wifi ?  For example at the house the wifi is called "Home" and then at the booster area its called "home 2" ?  Im not sure but it might create a problem or not with that type of connection.  

April 18, 2022 10:59 am  #7

markow202 wrote:

This is not the forum to be honest of posting this stuff however...

I don't have a problem with you guys talking about this stuff here. It's sort of music-radio-broadcast related in a six degrees of separation kind of way and if someone's not interested, they can always skip the thread. I would never put something like this in my backyard, but I've been interested in reading about it anyway. So please feel free to carry on!

April 21, 2022 2:57 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

Sonos systems are really the best if you want multi-room indoor/outdoor listening.

They work over Wifi, which eliminates the synchronization issues of Bluetooth as well as all the problems wired systems present.

These outdoor speakers sound amazing - They're passive and require wiring to a Sonos amp.

I personally just go for theirportable speaker, which we place in the pergola only when needed - our backyard time is all centered around the BBQ/Pool, so it provides more than adequate coverage.

Thanks, RadioAaron. I purchased two Sonos Move portables and, well, WOW! These are some amazing speakers. Deep base and crystal-clear sound. On wifi, they work as a stereo pair, if desired. And, they also work on bluetooth, but only one at a time. The bluetooth feature will be great for away from home.

There's a bit of a learning curve with configuring and accessing all the features, but they are truly EXACTLY what I was looking for.

To get the outdoor coverage I wanted, I purchased two wifi-extender MESH devices. We have a long patio across the back of a ranch-style bungalow. I placed one extender at each end of the house (inside) and can use the MOVE stereo pair outside with ease. I tested them at 60 feet apart (left - right) and they performed better than I could have imagined. Further, I can walk as far back in our 1.25 acre lot as I want and still hear amazing sound, without distortion.

I walk around the yard with my Android phone in my pocket, controlling the Universe through the SONOS App. ;-)

So, again, thanks RadioAaron. I am in your debt.

April 21, 2022 3:02 pm  #9

markow202 wrote:

[...as for the wifi its been awhile since I had a booster, but when using the booster do you actually have to (on your phone) switch to a different wifi ?  For example at the house the wifi is called "Home" and then at the booster area its called "home 2" ?  Im not sure but it might create a problem or not with that type of connection.  

I had two wifi extenders prior to buying the MESH extenders. You are correct. With the previous extenders, and with all brands of non-MESH extenders, the SSID name of each device is different so, for example, you couldn't run a stereo pair in wifi (and of course not with bluetooth).

A great thing about the MESH-extenders is that they adopt the same SSID name as the router, so they fool devices into thinking they are all connected directly to the router.

April 21, 2022 3:11 pm  #10

Permit me another post. The SONOS App works only when connected through wifi, but offers a wide variety of choices for radio stations around the world though apps, like iHeart, that you may have installed on your device (phone, tablet, etc.). It also will play music files already loaded on your device.

In Bluetooth, the SONOS app doesn't work (requires wifi), but anything you can play on your device will work on bluetooth. Internet radio stations, locally-installed music, etc.

April 21, 2022 3:20 pm  #11

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Thanks, RadioAaron. I purchased two Sonos Move portables and, well, WOW! These are some amazing speakers. Deep base and crystal-clear sound. On wifi, they work as a stereo pair, if desired. And, they also work on bluetooth, but only one at a time. The bluetooth feature will be great for away from home.

There's a bit of a learning curve with configuring and accessing all the features, but they are truly EXACTLY what I was looking for.

To get the outdoor coverage I wanted, I purchased two wifi-extender MESH devices. We have a long patio across the back of a ranch-style bungalow. I placed one extender at each end of the house (inside) and can use the MOVE stereo pair outside with ease. I tested them at 60 feet apart (left - right) and they performed better than I could have imagined. Further, I can walk as far back in our 1.25 acre lot as I want and still hear amazing sound, without distortion.

I walk around the yard with my Android phone in my pocket, controlling the Universe through the SONOS App. ;-)

So, again, thanks RadioAaron. I am in your debt.

Amazing! Glad that worked out.