sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2021 3:19 pm  #1

Ra-ra-ra-RATINGS!

Here is the latest and the greatest for Toronto radio, Summer 2021.
Sorry, didn't work...but trust me they did come out...

Someone more savvy will need to post..but hey, I am still pretty cool..

Last edited by paterson1 (September 9, 2021 5:59 pm)

September 9, 2021 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Ra-ra-ra-RATINGS!

Wow, Q107 is ahead of Boom and CHFI...wild...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 9, 2021 4:06 pm  #3

This is it [url=https://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/Toronto%20CMA%20(May%2031,%202021%20-August%2023,%202021).pdf].pdf style.[/url]

Remember this is 12+, not broken down by demos. Still, sad to see a spill station - CING-FM - beating the still anemic TSN 1050. Equally sad to me is the 1.5 for GNR640. In all the years, they've been doing talk, I don't think they've ever gone above a 2. They deserve better IMHO.

Last edited by RadioActive (September 9, 2021 4:10 pm)

September 9, 2021 4:13 pm  #4

David Bray breaks it down by demo.

September 9, 2021 5:49 pm  #5

Total speculation here and likely completely impossible. But given years of futility in the talk format, is it possible 640 could one day go all news - as was the original intent back in 1993? It's generally accepted that Rogers beat the station to the punch and left them with nowhere to run, as Martha & The Vandellas might note, when they switched to non-stop news first. 

As it stands, CFRB competes with CFMJ. CHUM-FM, Virgin 99.9 and others - with various differences - basically compete with each other.

But 680 News (soon to be CityNews) has no real direct competition to its all-news wheel, based on the old WINS-AM format in NYC. Could we ever see the day when Corus might consider going against them with the original plan for the place? It's an expensive idea, as the station continues to spin its wheels. Having more than one all-newser has been done in other cities - including New York and L.A. Could Toronto support two all-news formats?

From June 1993:

Still, 680 News wasn't exactly a hit right off the bat. I love the question about how anyone could compete against CFRB, the news leader. That was long before Bell began dismantling it. My how times have changed...

September 9, 2021 6:12 pm  #6

Thank you RA and torontostan, for doing what I couldn't.  Certainly a different perspective when you look at the 25-54 numbers which is what the agencies want to see.  AM 740 always looks dreadful in this demo, shouldn't be a surprise since this is not who they are programming to.  So CHUMFM does quite well in this group.  I guess any speculation of a format change for them can be laid to rest.  Surprising how much they beat CHFI women 25-54. 

Does anyone have any numbers on morning shows?  It is always interesting to see how the mornings stack up, if those figures or shares are available.  

September 9, 2021 6:23 pm  #7

I wonder if Ottawa/Gatineau will ever be considered for PPM ratings by numeris.  They are about 1.4 million people for the region and should be considered a major market.  Along with Montreal, Ottawa a very interesting market with some great radio.   

September 9, 2021 6:33 pm  #8

Anyone have any information about specific dayparts (ie morning and afternoon drives)?

September 9, 2021 7:39 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Thank you RA and torontostan, for doing what I couldn't.  Certainly a different perspective when you look at the 25-54 numbers which is what the agencies want to see.  AM 740 always looks dreadful in this demo, shouldn't be a surprise since this is not who they are programming to.  So CHUMFM does quite well in this group.  I guess any speculation of a format change for them can be laid to rest.  Surprising how much they beat CHFI women 25-54. 

No problem! My money is still on a CFNY flip..... if they had any courage they'd go country and let Q hold mainstream rock on their own. 

September 9, 2021 8:23 pm  #10

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

No problem! My money is still on a CFNY flip..... if they had any courage they'd go country and let Q hold mainstream rock on their own. 

Yes I agree, NY is still going nowhere and they would have the country audience to themselves.  It would also allow Q, if they wanted, more freedom to mix in a little current or more recent rock into the format. Q must be pleased however, they have really been doing well, and BOOM just chugs along with great ratings. 

Can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else but it is interesting that JACK FM with a similar format as BOOM didn't have anywhere near the success in Toronto.  Then it was pointed out that JACK didn't have announcers most of the time.   In fact when they first went on air, they had no announcers but just promos and ID's.  BOOM has always had good live talent with personality and that makes a big difference. 

September 9, 2021 10:30 pm  #11

I post this same message every time the ratings come out. I think GNR640 has a huge audience outside of the Toronto ratings area. With their signal strength , they are heard far to the north and east. As a regular listener while driving all day, I can verify a good number of calls taken by the various hosts are from outside the GTA. I would think the suits are well aware of this . I can't forsee a format change any time soon. 

September 9, 2021 11:11 pm  #12

I hope you're right. I think their programming has vastly improved since they incorporated Global into their branding. God knows they have a better newsroom than 1010, after Bell decimated it. 

However, I'm not entirely sure if those in Corus management care that people in, say, Orillia are listening. They're trying to sell to Toronto and GTA advertisers with local businesses. If the ratings show those messages aren't getting through to the ears they want to reach, that's not good and I worry it's not sustainable. If they can't deliver their CPM, then it becomes a serious problem. 

But as noted, I like what they're doing overall and find my dial frequently switched to 640 as a result.  Glad to hear you're a fan, too. (although not a Fan - they're at 590!)

September 9, 2021 11:22 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

From June 1993:

AM 640 sounds like it would have been a good news wheel. No idea what would have happened to 680 if 
"The News Beat of Toronto" were to launch on 640 before 680 went all news...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 9, 2021 11:47 pm  #14

680 woulda gone all-news a week later and destroyed 640.   As for 640 going all-news now... Why?!  It's an expensive format that'll never pay off in the 2020s. 

September 10, 2021 12:56 am  #15

torontostan wrote:

Sorted A25-54......

Station                        A25-54           W25-54          M25-54
104.5 CHUM-FM        12.9                19.3                    6
Boom 97.3                  10                    8.6                   11.5
Q107                           9.3                   7.4                  11.3
98.1 CHFI-FM             8.6                  10.5                  6.5
CBC Radio One          8.4                   8.2                   8.6
680 News                    7.2                   6.5                   7.9
KISS 92.5                    5.9                   6.3                   5.5
Virgin Radio 99.9         5.7                   6.1                   5.3
Z103.5                         4.5                   3.8                    5.3
Classical 96.3 FM       3.8                    3.4                   4.4
102.1 The Edge          3.2                    2.9                   3.6
Flow 93.5                    2.9                    2.9                   2.8
Sportsnet 590             2.4                       1                    3.8
Indie 88.1                      2                     1.5                   2.5
CBC Radio Two          1.7                    1.6                   1.8
News Talk 1010          1.5                    0.9                   2.2
95.3 Energy Radio      1.1                   0.5                    1.6
Jazz FM 91                 0.9                   0.8                    0.9
Jewel 88.5                  0.8                   0.8                    0.9
G98.7                          0.8                   1.3                   0.3
GNR 640                     0.6                   0.7                   0.5
TSN                             0.6                   0.2                     1
AM 740/96.7 FM        0.2                     0.2                   0.2

Didn't someone here talk about Chum FM's dismal ratings recently and that a rebrand was needed?  I guess that was complete nonsense.

September 10, 2021 12:59 am  #16

paterson1 wrote:

torontostan wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yes I agree, NY is still going nowhere and they would have the country audience to themselves.  It would also allow Q, if they wanted, more freedom to mix in a little current or more recent rock into the format. Q must be pleased however, they have really been doing well, and BOOM just chugs along with great ratings. 

Can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else but it is interesting that JACK FM with a similar format as BOOM didn't have anywhere near the success in Toronto.  Then it was pointed out that JACK didn't have announcers most of the time.   In fact when they first went on air, they had no announcers but just promos and ID's.  BOOM has always had good live talent with personality and that makes a big difference. 

Boom's music is also hand picked and scheduled; every single song.

September 10, 2021 10:26 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

I hope you're right. I think their programming has vastly improved since they incorporated Global into their branding. God knows they have a better newsroom than 1010, after Bell decimated it. 

However, I'm not entirely sure if those in Corus management care that people in, say, Orillia are listening. They're trying to sell to Toronto and GTA advertisers with local businesses. If the ratings show those messages aren't getting through to the ears they want to reach, that's not good and I worry it's not sustainable. If they can't deliver their CPM, then it becomes a serious problem. 

But as noted, I like what they're doing overall and find my dial frequently switched to 640 as a result.  Glad to hear you're a fan, too. (although not a Fan - they're at 590!)

I am going to monitor, out of curiosity over the next week, how many spots are GTA orientated and how many are national and will post the results on this thread. I have several friends here in the south Georgian Bay area that are 640 listeners also. Oakley has a following up here, as did Stafford. I presume Brady will by now too. There is one auto repair business I tow into frequently that has 640 on all day, the boss's choice. When he leaves , the other tech will put on the Orillia country FM, as soon as the boss is back, it goes back on 640. 

September 10, 2021 5:25 pm  #18

mic'em wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I am going to monitor, out of curiosity over the next week, how many spots are GTA orientated and how many are national and will post the results on this thread. I have several friends here in the south Georgian Bay area that are 640 listeners also. Oakley has a following up here, as did Stafford. I presume Brady will by now too. There is one auto repair business I tow into frequently that has 640 on all day, the boss's choice. When he leaves , the other tech will put on the Orillia country FM, as soon as the boss is back, it goes back on 640. 

One of the biggest advertisers for years on 640 has been Monaghan Lumber who serve cottage country in the Kawarthas, so they must have a good signal in that area.  640's  signal is also clear in Barrie and north. 

September 10, 2021 5:31 pm  #19

One look at Corus outside Toronto will give you the clue on their plans.   Corus dropped their news wheels in London and Hamilton during Morning and afternoon drives and cut their news rooms back..     That should really show you they have zero plans to go all news.    All traffic perhaps.   but very doubtful you will see a major investment into building a newsroom so they can pull off a full time news station on a AM station at this point.    Most markets in the USA the size of Toronto, only have 1 all news, and the rest are talk and news talk.    The shocker still to me is the full gut job of 1010's newsroom. It's really changed their product, and really pulled them down. 

September 10, 2021 5:55 pm  #20

Z103 has a good lead for what is an Orangeville station.   Something has to be done with 102.1 its a waste of a signal at this point.   Q107 is confused in its playlist.   Chum is winning because even I want to hear more upbeat pop stuff in the summer.

September 10, 2021 10:00 pm  #21

markow202 wrote:

Z103 has a good lead for what is an Orangeville station.   Something has to be done with 102.1 its a waste of a signal at this point.   Q107 is confused in its playlist.   Chum is winning because even I want to hear more upbeat pop stuff in the summer.

Q had tremendous success in last summer's book too. The format lends itself well to the summer vibe. 
Anyone who listens even here and there to both Q and BOOM will find both have quite predictable and repetitive playlists which seems to support the theory many programmers hold that smaller playlists translate into bigger ratings. However, neither station has a direct format competitor in the market. Now in Buffalo, 97 ROCK features a wider playlist and frequently drops in deeper cuts and other cuts seldom played on commercial radio yet has been a consistent ratings winner there for decades. I'd like to see a station programmed with that kind of approach go head to head with either BOOM or Q and see what happens.