sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2021 10:14 am  #1

SOWNY members embrace Euro FOOTBALL (SOCCER)

A poll conducted over the past fifteen (15) hours by the Cash polling organization reveals that an incredible one-third of SOWNY visitors are into Euro Cup football (soccer).    This is terrific news for operators of patio/bars in Toronto's Little Italy, Little Spain and Little Great Britain where the Toronto Maple Leaves recent collapse left them in financial jeopardy.     Who knew that football (soccer) is this popular in the GTA?

June 30, 2021 10:31 am  #2

Re: SOWNY members embrace Euro FOOTBALL (SOCCER)

Is it possible that the majority of the Euro 2020 viewers are transplanted European Canadian citizens? I honestly don't think Canadian born citizens will show any interest in soccer until Canada qualifies for a World Cup. Canada still holds the World Cup record as the only country never to score a goal in the group stage. That happened back in 1986. Yes, I know Toronto FC has a local loyal following. I doubt most of the soccer enthusiasts outside of North America would consider the MLS a professional league.

June 30, 2021 10:38 am  #3

Well, as a Canadian born citizen, I watch as many games as I can in the Euro and the World cup..

Last edited by pinto (June 30, 2021 10:38 am)

June 30, 2021 10:52 am  #4

Love watching championship soccer. I listened to part of the England-Germany game on SiriusXM, switching back and forth with the radio call of Wimbledon tennis. Now if only we can get curling on the radio.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (June 30, 2021 10:57 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 30, 2021 11:11 am  #5

Pinto, Maybo. Dale: Enlighten me. What is it about soccer you enjoy so much? Granted, I don't understand the finer details and strategies of the game. and never will. I suppose I would have more interest if there was a pool with prize money involved where you picked winners in each round. I generally know which countries are powerhouses and which ones are minnows. Overall, I just find the "Beautiful" game a snoozefest.  I will stick to my NHL, NFL and CFL.

June 30, 2021 11:35 am  #6

The beauty of football 'never understood the term 'soccer' - American-made term to differentiate it from American football which only uses the foot for maybe 20% of the play' - is that it's cheaper to play that most other sports (a bunch of people, an open area, and a ball) uses the same rules across the globe (unlike other sports), has relatively basic rules of play (unlike baseball, NFL football, NHL hockey or cricket) and panders to the very core of pride, nationalism and patriotism...more so than any other sport globally...the numbers don't lie...it's by far the world's most popular sport...

June 30, 2021 12:02 pm  #7

mace wrote:

Pinto, Maybo. Dale: Enlighten me. What is it about soccer you enjoy so much? Granted, I don't understand the finer details and strategies of the game. and never will. I suppose I would have more interest if there was a pool with prize money involved where you picked winners in each round. I generally know which countries are powerhouses and which ones are minnows. Overall, I just find the "Beautiful" game a snoozefest.  I will stick to my NHL, NFL and CFL.

I used to find it boring, but then I watched the entire championship at a local bar in 2014. I began enjoying it and began watching more. It kind of grew on me I guess. One thing I find entertaining is the announcers - how they mix play-by-play with their own personal opinion and humour in those rich British accents. Spendid.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 30, 2021 12:16 pm  #8

Johnny B wrote:

The beauty of football 'never understood the term 'soccer' - American-made term to differentiate it from American football which only uses the foot for maybe 20% of the play' - is that it's cheaper to play that most other sports (a bunch of people, an open area, and a ball) uses the same rules across the globe (unlike other sports), has relatively basic rules of play (unlike baseball, NFL football, NHL hockey or cricket) and panders to the very core of pride, nationalism and patriotism...more so than any other sport globally...the numbers don't lie...it's by far the world's most popular sport...

I found a site called chartsbin.com that listed the most popular sports around the world by country. I had incorrectly assumed that soccer was the number one sport everywhere except North America. Soccer still leads by a wide margin with 57 countries. Basketball-14. Ice Hockey/Tennis/Wrestling-6. Water Sports/Cricket-5. Baseball/Boxing-3. In Australia, soccer is a distant 3rd behind the unique Aussie Rules game and Rugby.

July 3, 2021 11:15 pm  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

geo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I heard a bunch of hooting and hollering while watering the garden. I figured it had something to do with soccer.

Bear in mind that the law requires you to restrict that "garden" to just four plants

Ne pas de worry, I don't partake in the Devil's lettuce.

No true grilled cheese would (Devil's or not)!

Last edited by Media Observer (July 3, 2021 11:16 pm)

July 11, 2021 8:22 am  #10

So, @ 3:00 today it all comes down to Guinness or Vermouth?

July 11, 2021 9:53 am  #11

Guinness isn't English!! LOL

July 11, 2021 2:50 pm  #12

Friends of mine who watch soccer, tell me Italy should win this easily. 2-0 is the score I hear.

July 15, 2021 6:28 pm  #13

Sunday's UEFA Euro soccer final drew about 3.9 million viewers on CTV and TSN.  Really strong ratings and this doesn't include anything from TVA who ran the final in Quebec.  But hockey still rules.  The Stanley Cup final had about 4.1 million viewers on Sportsnet/CBC.  When you add in the ratings from Quebec at 2.4 million the total zooms up to about 6.5 million across the country.  

July 16, 2021 7:59 am  #14

Meanwhile in Britain, the match averaged an audience of 29.85M where it was televised by the BBC and ITV. The audience peaked at 30.95M during the penalty kicks. It was the largest viewing audience in England since Princess Diana's 1997 funeral. South of the border, ESPN had an average of  6.49M viewers for the final.