sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2021 3:03 pm  #1

Catching up with Ripkin

I enjoyed a 90 minute chat with Rick Loewen a.k.a. Ripkin about his two years on the air in Toronto at Mojo Radio. We discuss the Mojo format and lineup, how he got the gig, and why he was fired.

https://www.torontomike.com/2021/07/ripkin-on-mojo-radio-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-883/

July 13, 2021 9:43 am  #2

Re: Catching up with Ripkin

Rick will always be more of a brother to me than a friend...they don't get anymore solid than him...I love him...

Couple of clarifying points -
It was Iain Grant not Stewart Myers that gave us the Corus company credit card when we racked up $400 at that Toronto pub on me and Ripkin!'s first date in 2001....when we found out both our favourite drinks were Labatts 50 and rye whiskey it was all over from that point
Rick won't name names, nor will I, but in a large market radio station like MOJO/640 was/is the jealousy and back stabbing are rampant - Rick's show was different and he never went into the unnecessary and lame topics that other shows did just because they thought they had to...
he's right, we had cart blanche from a creative side and we took advantage of that...we appreciated that greatly despite the fact that Corus management were soulless assholes
I did spend 14 hours in a jail cell in Baltimore after trying to scalp my ticket to Cal Ripken's last game to an undercover cop for $800 US - Rick spent hours at the station trying to get me out - we just made the plane home to Toronto the next morning

July 13, 2021 3:21 pm  #3

Joe Zenobio gave Rene Roth and I the company card and the instruciton to 'use it' when we went to Vancouver to work out a deal with Focus on the Family.  We maxe'd it 3 times over 4 days and had to call to have it 're-authorized' and that wasn't including the hotel rooms which were contra. 

Sales people know how to live

Johnny B wrote:

Rick will always be more of a brother to me than a friend...they don't get anymore solid than him...I love him...

Couple of clarifying points -
It was Iain Grant not Stewart Myers that gave us the Corus company credit card when we racked up $400 at that Toronto pub on me and Ripkin!'s first date in 2001....when we found out both our favourite drinks were Labatts 50 and rye whiskey it was all over from that point
Rick won't name names, nor will I, but in a large market radio station like MOJO/640 was/is the jealousy and back stabbing are rampant - Rick's show was different and he never went into the unnecessary and lame topics that other shows did just because they thought they had to...
he's right, we had cart blanche from a creative side and we took advantage of that...we appreciated that greatly despite the fact that Corus management were soulless assholes
I did spend 14 hours in a jail cell in Baltimore after trying to scalp my ticket to Cal Ripken's last game to an undercover cop for $800 US - Rick spent hours at the station trying to get me out - we just made the plane home to Toronto the next morning

Last edited by ig (July 13, 2021 3:21 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 13, 2021 6:41 pm  #4

ig wrote:

to work out a deal with Focus on the Family.

MOJO Radio and Focus on the Family - a match made in heaven!