sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2021 1:22 pm  #1

Bell Media Should Hire This Person Right Away Before Someone Else Does

Jody Wilson-Raybould, the one person who emerged from the SNC-Lavalin scandal with a shred of integrity, has announced she won't be seeking another term in office when the next election is called. That leaves her a free agent, who hasn't yet determined what she may have in mind for the future. 

If I were in the upper offices of Bell Media's radio properties, I'd be on the phone to her to offer her a position as a pundit for the iHeart Canada stations. They already have Tom Mulcair, the former NDP leader and ex-Ont. PC leader Tim Hudak as political commentators, along with several others who never held office but have worked for various political people from all parties. Adding an independent like JWR, as she's known, to the mix, would only bolster their often stated dictum that "NewsTalk 1010 has the best staff of experts" in the business. 

I've heard Wilson-Raybould interviewed, and as a lawyer, she's very glib and very articulate. Plus, she knows the inside workings of the government better than most, having been right in the middle of it - as well as on the outside, when she was turfed from the Liberals. She would likely be a great repeat guest and by signing her to an exclusive agreement (beyond the upcoming tour for her book release in October,) it would be another coup for the network. 

She hasn't said exactly what her plans are, but it would not surprise me if she turns up as an expert on a TV or radio network somewhere. 

July 8, 2021 1:41 pm  #2

Re: Bell Media Should Hire This Person Right Away Before Someone Else Does

You mean the same Jody Wilson-Raybould who refused to leave her ministerial office suite even though she was no longer a cabinet minister and no longer entitled to the space.

Not a fan ..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-ministerial-office-1.5394079

Last edited by g121 (July 8, 2021 1:41 pm)

July 8, 2021 2:39 pm  #3

Yeah, she could be petty. But she also knows where the bodies are buried and while she's limited in what she can say about her time with that party, I've seen her interviewed and she always has something worth hearing.

I find that you don't have to agree with someone politically to find them interesting. I had no time at all for Tom Mulcair when he was head of the NDP, but his insights as a political pundit are almost always informative. He knows how the system works and he's able to explain it in an easy manner that makes whatever's going on in Ottawa a lot more relatable.

I think JWR could do the same. Plus she's Indigenous, and those issues are going to be on the front burner for a while to come. 

July 8, 2021 4:22 pm  #4

I think Jody Wilson-Raybould would make a good pundit.  And she may come across differently than people expect.

One person I really like on CTV/Newstalk 1010 is Tom Mulclair. He does an excellent job dissecting politics in Ottawa.  Also, I find him very fair.  He compliments and criticizes all parties and has various times praised Erin O'Toole and the conservatives for their position on different issues.  He has even on occasion stuck up for Doug Ford and the premier's handling of the pandemic.  Wasn't expecting this from Tom, so it was a pleasant surprise to see a commentator very balanced in the positions he takes. So Jody, if she decides to get into the broadcasting game, could make for an interesting addition for someone.

July 8, 2021 5:01 pm  #5

Jody Wilson-Raybould and integrity go together like a mixed drink of Jack Daniels and milk...she'll be plastered all over the CBC or CTV news channel panels soon enough and will be writing op-eds for the highest bidder....

July 8, 2021 6:02 pm  #6

I'd rather NOT see news outlets(CBC, CTV or Global on the TV side; any number of newspaper chains or magazines in print)paying former politicians no matter the party to become gasbag pundits to bloviate about the latest political happenings. Better that the money be spent to get reporters. JMO.

July 8, 2021 8:22 pm  #7

Johnny B wrote:

Jody Wilson-Raybould and integrity go together like a mixed drink of Jack Daniels and milk...she'll be plastered all over the CBC or CTV news channel panels soon enough and will be writing op-eds for the highest bidder....

Who works for the lowest bidder? Would anyone on this forum turn down a job from CFTO to go work for Rogers community cable?

July 9, 2021 5:42 am  #8

Does anyone know if any of the pundits that appear on round tables or otherwise  give their take on any given topic actually get paid for their time? CFRB seems to have more in house staff on the round tables than in years past. I would think their being on a round table would be just an expected duty they have to do as part of their job.