sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2021 9:18 am  #1

Does Any Other Market Do This With A Major Team Like The Leafs?

There's no doubt that the Leafs playoff run would be a decent draw for any radio station that carries the games. Saturday's match will air on 680 News, while the Fan is contractually obligated to run the Jays. That means that, even during the most important contests of the year, the Leafs could be airing on three separate radio stations, depending on the day. 

I realize this is part of the odd co-ownership of the team but I can't think of another pro sports outlet or market where the major franchise could be spread out over three radio stations - in this case, TSN1050, The Fan590 or 680 News. Even two would be unusual. But this scenario is just weird.

Does any other pro sports team in any other market do this? I can't think of another NHL, MLB, NBA or NFL team that has this kind of schizophrenic scheduling. Is there one?

May 28, 2021 10:30 am  #2

Re: Does Any Other Market Do This With A Major Team Like The Leafs?

Probably no other Professional sports franchise has the same "unique" ownership situation as the Toronto teams. No broadcast conflicts then.

May 28, 2021 11:33 am  #3

The only examples I can think of involve 2 stations, I can't think of any involving 3.

May 28, 2021 3:02 pm  #4

Same "unique" ownership situation that can have 2 radio stations producing separate broadcasts of game 7s.

In some cities the NFL rightsholder will run the game on ALL or almost all their stations in that market, but it's at least consistent. 

May 28, 2021 9:31 pm  #5

On the broader topic of praising failure? Many do if the money's good.