sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2020 11:20 am  #1

TVO Gets Channel Change & Power Reduction Despite Interference Fears

TVO has received permission to change its new channel over its Chatham repeater, switching from 28 to 34. (They currently occupy channel 59, but with the repack, have to move.)

They argued it would allow them to reuse their existing tower and save money. It would also be accompanied by a power reduction from 2,250 watts to just 1,000. 

You wouldn't think this would cause much of an issue, but the CRTC received a number of interventions against the move. Why? Turns out OTA viewers are worried about interference for WKBD Detroit, which is also receivable in the Canadian city and also uses channel 34. It's the CW affiliate in Motown, so it's a popular choice. 

While the CRTC acknowledges the interference issue, they claim the reduction in power will help prevent it. 

I'm not sure I entirely understand this. Won't a station on channel 34 shut out a longer distance outlet on the same frequency? Even with reduced power, how can they not interfere with each other in the local area - not that the Commission really cares that much about Canadians being able to get an out-of-market-and-country U.S. station. Does this mean viewers in Chatham who get it now will lose the Detroit entity for good once the switch takes place? I'd be very unhappy about this, too, if I lived there. 

CICA-TV Decision

April 18, 2020 7:44 am  #2

Re: TVO Gets Channel Change & Power Reduction Despite Interference Fears

I don't know southwestern Ontario that well. However, this is what I have been able to decipher. TVO's Chatham area transmitter appears to be about 10-15 miles east of the city. I would imagine 1000 watts would cover the area well. WKBD's transmitter is located in Southfield 953' with an output of 285kw. I am guessing maybe 60 miles away. Would a good antenna with a rotor be able to null TVO enough to bring in WKBD? Personally, I rarely watch the CW but WKBD has four sub-channels Comet, Charge, Circle and one currently not in use.

April 18, 2020 7:47 am  #3

Slight correction RA. They were on channel 32 [originally ch. 59]. Now they are temporally on 28 which was suppose to be their new home. To stay on 28, they found they would have to change the antenna [again] on the CBC tower.
Now they are moving to 34 but with a 1000 watts, I wonder why bother.
But you are correct. They will interfere with WKBD in the local area.

April 19, 2020 7:12 pm  #4

Turns out Chatham isn't the only place that's experiencing technical issues with all the changes. (I wonder how many complaints they'd get if it were the Canadian channels and not the U.S. ones that were suddenly disappearing from their local screens?)

TV frequency change leaves some Windsorites without favourite channels

April 19, 2020 8:47 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Turns out Chatham isn't the only place that's experiencing technical issues with all the changes. (I wonder how many complaints they'd get if it were the Canadian channels and not the U.S. ones that were suddenly disappearing from their local screens?)

TV frequency change leaves some Windsorites without favourite channels

Well 12 complaints a week about not receiving, or poor OTA reception of US signals isn't exactly a huge number either. Over 4 weeks, 48?  I thought it would have been much higher, and more immediate.

Maybe some of the OTA folks will need to actually spend some money, and buy a new digital antenna!  Or just get cable!!    

Why would Canadian stations suddenly disappear from their local screens in Canada?  And why would anyone wonder about this when it won't happen?  

By the way, many viewers would be upset if they couldn't see their local news anymore, on their local channels.  Also advertisers would not be happy either.  So to answer the hypothetical question, lots of viewers and certainly local advertisers would complain don't you think?  And likely a lot more than 48.