sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2020 12:27 pm  #1

How Will Hosts Feel About This? Are Cameras Coming To GNR 640 Studios?

They're often popular with listeners. Not always so much with talent. Kelly Cutrara revealed on Thursday that "cameras are coming" to the station's studios on Corus Quay and that fans will soon be able to watch what's happening while the show is on the air. It didn't sound like she was kidding - she stated it more as a matter of fact. 

If that's true, I'm not sure how many will tune in (the curiosity factor is great at the beginning but wanes pretty quickly in my experience.) I believe ZoomerRadio has a webcam that cuts away between songs, so the only thing you see is what's going on during the actual on-air segments. What the talent does while the tune is playing isn't seen. 

That obviously won't be possible at a talk station, so it will be worth a look to see how they handle it. 

I can tell you that, a long time ago, we used to have a wide shot of our TV newsroom online - and even allowed users to pan around the entire place. It didn't last long. Many people complained they were freaked out by knowing they were being watched while they were eating at their desks, having a bad hair day, blowing their nose or were caught in a sometimes animated conversation (read: argument) with a colleague, and it wasn't always pretty. 

It lasted a few months and then was quietly removed. 

So good luck to the on air types at 640 when this thing goes in. There's an old expression that says 'Children should be seen and not heard.' I'm thinking the 'kids' who work at Corus will soon wish they could be heard and not seen.  

February 20, 2020 2:08 pm  #2

Re: How Will Hosts Feel About This? Are Cameras Coming To GNR 640 Studios?

Smother the web page with advertising and there might be some extra business logic?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 20, 2020 3:52 pm  #3

This isn't a new thing...   NT1010, and 680 have had these in operation for a while now.   I would say 640 is late to the concept.    Some are not live, but used in pre-recorded items, but they are there.     It's part of the evolution of radio, into a multi-media world.   The station/brand is only the driver.    The delivery vehicle can be many things including the traditional transmitter, website, app, stream service etc..  

Last edited by radiokid (February 20, 2020 3:54 pm)

February 20, 2020 4:08 pm  #4

You're right. But in most cases, it's been my experience that the talent comes to absolutely hate the intrusion. And in some cases, it gets taken out when too many employees complain versus how many people are actually using it.

I think the Zoomer idea is a pretty good compromise - you get to see the jock in action when they're on air (i.e. performing in public) but when there's a spot break or a song playing, the video switches to an album cover or an ID slide. 

As noted, that can't really happen with a talk format, and if you think it's bad when someone from management stares in your direction for too long, imagine what it's like when total strangers do it - and you can't even be sure how many there are. 

I'm not against the great things the web can bring but is this really a necessity? I'm betting the people who decide this is a good idea and a wonderful promotable are never in front of that unblinking eye for hours on end. Just because you can do something technically doesn't mean you have to. Frankly, it kind of gives me the creeps. I'm glad my station took ours out.  

February 20, 2020 5:41 pm  #5

It'll certainly be useful for people listening from their cars.

Is this another cheap way to use tech instead of using it to do something tangibly meaningful in terms of actual content?

February 20, 2020 7:25 pm  #6

Saul wrote:

It'll certainly be useful for people listening from their cars.

February 20, 2020 7:39 pm  #7

Mobile camera, follow Mike outside for a smoke, get the real lowdown!!

February 20, 2020 9:38 pm  #8

There are no live cameras in the 1010 studios

February 21, 2020 10:47 am  #9

BeatleTeunis wrote:

There are no live cameras in the 1010 studios

There were for a while. I remember tuning in like once just to see Jerry Agar standing not sitting. I think it was when they were still at 2 St. Clair Street West.

February 22, 2020 2:16 pm  #10

6079 Smith W wrote:

There were for a while. I remember tuning in like once just to see Jerry Agar standing not sitting. I think it was when they were still at 2 St. Clair Street West.

Yes. And the live camera concept followed them to the new location (299 Queen St W) for a while too. I remember tuning in to the video feed to check out the new studio after many of the hosts on-air talking about the freshness of the new studio, equipment, etc.  It would also cut-away to the newsreaders' booth.

I always assumed they dropped it because the hosts were a bit creeped out by it, or they didn't want to expose how much of, say, weekend programming was re-rolls (the camera would show an empty studio - later on some shows they just put a static logo on during the re-rolls), pre-taped, or guests/panellists via ISDN or otherwise remote and ruin a bit of the "magic"/illusion. I wonder with 640 doing this if 1010 will attempt to "compete" and consider bringing it back.

Last edited by AspectRatio (February 22, 2020 2:17 pm)

February 22, 2020 3:37 pm  #11

I'll admit to tuning into a webcam just to see what "so and so" on the air looks like.  That's about it.

It's radio.  There shouldn't be anything to "see".

February 24, 2020 5:20 pm  #12

NT1010 still has all of its Sony HD remote cameras in the main studio. The studio is also lit by smaller TV lights .

February 24, 2020 9:25 pm  #13

They're coming! Greg Brady made references on 640 Monday night to the cameras being installed but that they're not working yet. (He says they look like The Daleks from Doctor Who for those who watch that show.) Apparently, they've changed the mics and repositioned some things around the studio so they can get the best angles. Still no word on when they'll be turned on.  

February 26, 2020 10:45 am  #14

They are in, unlike NT1010 which are general wide shots. The 640 ones have the wide shot but also one for each microphone position. The Dalek is right in your face.

February 26, 2020 11:11 am  #15

Stinand wrote:

They are in, unlike NT1010 which are general wide shots. The 640 ones have the wide shot but also one for each microphone position. The Dalek is right in your face.

Do you happen to know when they're going to be turned on? Is this going to be used for listener access or is it some sort of tie-in with Global, so they can do live radio hits on air during TV newscasts? I'm very curious about why they've decided to do this. 

February 26, 2020 3:19 pm  #16

I have no idea, but internally looked all hooked up. Preview monitors working. Tried to upload pics but somehow I can't .

Last edited by Stinand (February 26, 2020 3:23 pm)

February 27, 2020 1:11 am  #17

Nifty idea GNRam640: radio and lights! cameras! visuals! Now if they can just get a text board in there, they'll be able to really reach their listeners. The email thing is so 2001.

I hope Mike, Supriya, and everyone else is ready for the "y'know you don't look like how you sound" comments.🤨

February 27, 2020 1:12 am  #18

There goes the T-shirts and the ripped jeans!