sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2019 5:41 pm  #1

CKNT

The lovely Jodi Decker and old man Bruce Marshall show is no longer listed on the CKNT show.

The whole station seems to be in upheaval lately. 

I know Bullard been ill but his cohost hasn't been on. Marshall has not been on in 2 weeks. Today no Decker but instead some podcast from November called the wine ladies

February 6, 2019 5:55 pm  #2

Re: CKNT

I wonder if they are running out of money?

I did tune in Saturday morning and heard a round table discussion among today's youth (Peel Region) talk about mental health (given the Bhell Let's Talk Day event earlier that week)...and I thought it was refreshing to listen too.

Now, maybe, today, due to the weather, the hosts couldn't make it in. 

Just a thought!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 7, 2019 2:08 pm  #3

Wine ladies again on CKNT instead of Decker and Marshall. 

February 7, 2019 7:50 pm  #4

Richards twitter said they were upgrading equipment yesterday and would not be on air. They were on today and it sounded much better than their previous set up.

Bullards's cohost got canned (hated him anyways) and I understand they are looking for a new cohost to work with Jodie, Marshall gone too I guess. Until then, I can only assume there will not be any 2pm show.

I also heard through the grapevine that these hosts aren't being paid to be on air. More so volunteering their time, which makes a lot of sense being a new station with no real financial backing

February 8, 2019 11:36 am  #5

Waves wrote:

Bullard's cohost got canned (hated him anyways) and I understand they are looking for a new cohost to work with Jodie, Marshall gone too I guess. Until then, I can only assume there will not be any 2pm show.

I just heard them say they expect Bullard could be back as soon as Monday. 

February 8, 2019 11:39 am  #6

Let's hope so.  The station has been floundering the past week.

February 8, 2019 2:16 pm  #7

No way.  Bullard is low class.

February 9, 2019 3:30 pm  #8

They deleted it but someone who worked at CKNT just tweeted out the whole place is in shambles management wise. There's a legal battle and a lot of employees got let go. I'm curious as to who is gone.

February 9, 2019 4:12 pm  #9

Does this surprise anyone?

It was rocky from the get-go...

February 11, 2019 12:54 am  #10

Good people let go last Friday - no word that it was last day until AFTER they all went to air.  Saw it coming though.  Staff employed under Peter Whitaker were not paid on time - at times leaving Mon-Fri staff unpaid for up to a month at a time.  Illegal?!!!  Not a single partial owner of station (many) would take responsibility to pay staff - leaving people to not be able to pay bills/mortgage/put food ontable.  These were people who worked hard under VERY toxic situation- were even locked OUT of Port Credit studio two times when bills/rent not paid.  Then end of DEC inept Whitaker in desperation and no $ took on business partner who is also owner of buiding the station was in.  Building owner pulled out of station last Tues-forcing staff to work out of one of the other co--owners studio in Etobicoke - NOT even in Peel.  Assuming there is no cash left to build another studio in Peel REgion. Whitaker lied and lied to staff about paying them on time in full regularly. Suspect past in his SHADY business dealings.  Any employer who leaves staff unpaid, lies to thier face and does not honor financial committments is a fraud/con artist IMHOP.  Because so many people had part ownership of station they all past the buck around leaving staff scared SUPER stressed.  Those still on station website all paid/brought in by Etobicoke owner.  They still have their jobs and were paid on time and treated fairly.  Those under Whitaker who took the abuse and came in everyday all fired with no notice.  They do not even KNOW if they will be paid for past two weeks of work.  Whitaker refusing to pay and building owner refusing to pay.  Third owner who still operating station.says not thier responsibilty.  Everyone let go who should recieve paychecks this Friday do not know if they will be paid this Friday.  Imagine the stress and being used like that!  Mike Richards (who is great) will continue it seems - but his show is self contained with own sales team. I could go on.  Thought someone should know who were the victims in all this.  Particularly loved Norm Murray on radio - great guy, very professional and great at his job.   Sad to see him (and the others go) - they put everything they had into station and all left with nothing.  Very sad to witness what they went through and will go through if not paid.  Bad inept crooked management ran Sauga in gutter in six months flat. Terrible feelings all around.

February 11, 2019 12:56 am  #11

Also - station equipment not being updated last Tuesday or Wednesday.  Staff locked out of Port Credit (2nd time)

February 11, 2019 1:03 am  #12

Didn't the former CHSC 1220 get in hot water for broadcasting from a remote studio too?

February 11, 2019 5:28 am  #13

February 11, 2019 8:59 am  #14

voiceoverexpress wrote:

... Staff employed under Peter Whitaker were not paid on time - at times leaving Mon-Fri staff unpaid for up to a month at a time.   

... Then end of DEC inept Whitaker in desperation and no $ took on business partner who is also owner of building the station was in.  

... Whitaker refusing to pay and building owner refusing to pay.  .

Is this the same Peter Whitaker who owns, created, runs "Haze FM" - Mississauga on-line internet "station" ?

https://www.mississauga.com/news-story/4240651-haze-fm-s-peter-whitaker-port-credit-media-mogul-in-the-making/

Last edited by Glen Warren (February 11, 2019 9:00 am)

February 11, 2019 9:07 am  #15

I'm sure their listener is going to be upset .

February 11, 2019 9:27 am  #16

Stinand wrote:

I'm sure their listener is going to be upset .

February 11, 2019 10:14 am  #17

I tuned into this trainwreck of a station Monday morning and was stunned to hear their top of the hour news was apparently being read over a phone line!

I have no idea where the newscaster was or why he wasn't on a proper mic, but it was definitely coming over what sounded like POTS. So I'm assuming he's offsite somewhere and there's no line to wherever they're doing regular programming from. 

Bizarre and sad.  

February 11, 2019 10:41 am  #18

Frye Festival all over again. Someone needs to make a documentary about this station.

February 11, 2019 12:31 pm  #19

Legendary Station!  

February 11, 2019 1:30 pm  #20

It's a dang shame; They were destined for greatness.  

February 11, 2019 5:44 pm  #21

So are they going to be off air soon?

February 11, 2019 5:47 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

I just heard them say they expect Bullard could be back as soon as Monday. 

Not only is he not back, but the substitute hosts (who are terrible by the way) have commented that they'll be around for at least this week and possibly in the weeks to come. So much for one of their highest profile dayparts. 

February 11, 2019 6:25 pm  #23

http://i67.tinypic.com/rscwtx.jpg

February 11, 2019 8:36 pm  #24

Its sad this board talks about CKNT. Nothing to see here. She's a 4 out of 10 and won't be a 10 until 4.

February 11, 2019 9:52 pm  #25

Because CKNT is a radio station and this is a radio-TV forum. We're all obviously interested enough to follow and comment on this thread.

February 11, 2019 10:11 pm  #26

WilliamT wrote:

Its sad this board talks about CKNT. Nothing to see here. She's a 4 out of 10 and won't be a 10 until 4.

As Saul said,  BECAUSE CKNT is such a trainwreck is exactly why we're so glued to the situation.

February 11, 2019 11:38 pm  #27

Bullard and his show are no longer listed on the website and Bullard had changed his Twitter bio to remove the reference to Sauga 960.

February 12, 2019 12:16 am  #28

WilliamT wrote:

The Jazz FM story is the most irrelevant ongoing nonsense that is covered here. 

February 12, 2019 6:03 am  #29

Cash! Jazz FM may be irrelevant to you but not to others...let's just post and not judge and if you do judge, just ignore the post.

But, it is sad to see that a long standing station like Jazz FM which does a lot to help local musicians and the arts, is really going through some major turmoil...

If people take time to post, please I ask you, it is not irrelevant to them or they wouldn't post.

February 12, 2019 9:29 am  #30

Another reason why CJRT-FM "matters" to some of us who read these posts, is that it was one of the first FM stations in Canada, having signed on 70 years ago, in 1949.  It was an experimental licence then, broadcasting Ryerson student's programs, and apparently the 2nd FM station in Canada.   

In 1964 the station became professionally staffed and extended its programming to 7 am to midnight seven days a week.

If anyone can think back to 1964, most of the handful of Toronto FM stations were simulcasting AMs (i.e. CFRB-FM) and CJRT went "professional"  only a year after CHUM-FM signed on (1963)  as a classical music station.

CJRT-FM, has had a very long run as a successful community supported radio station.  There aren't many community supported stations in N. America that fall into that category.   That underscores the tragedy of the operational mess that has occurred over there.  That's why some of us, don't want the station to fail.  Whether you love or despise jazz, CJRT is a big story....

Last edited by tvguy (February 12, 2019 9:31 am)