sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2023 8:39 am  #1

Article On The Decline Of AM Radio Is More Like A Profile Of WCBS N.Y.

It's ostensibly a story on the precarious state of AM radio, as more cars makers say they will delete it from future models. But it turns into almost a feature on WCBS-AM in New York and for that, and some of the photos, it's worth a look. 

AM News Radio, your go-to in a crisis, could itself be in trouble

April 26, 2023 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Article On The Decline Of AM Radio Is More Like A Profile Of WCBS N.Y.

Is the SOWNY forum working properly? Is not for me.

April 26, 2023 12:40 pm  #3

There appear to be some infrequent outages and connectivity problems, along with a slower than usual response. I think the problem lies with Boardhost and it comes and goes. 

If you experience this issue, a great way to check on whether it's just you or everyone, is at this site:

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/. 

You simply enter the address that's giving you trouble and it will attempt to reach it, letting you know if it's down for everyone. This is an intermittent problem that happens occasionally with Boardhost, although I'm not sure why. It's beyond my control and even I can't get in at times. Your best bet is to come back in a few minutes and try again. 

The good news is it usually does not last long, so thanks for your patience!

April 26, 2023 1:43 pm  #4

By the way, when SOWNY isn't going through, I usually check Lorne's great Oldies Board, also a Boardhost site, to see if his is available. In most cases, they're both down at the same time. 

April 26, 2023 3:26 pm  #5

It works now. I sent Boardhost an email about this issue and have yet to hear back.

April 26, 2023 3:55 pm  #6

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

It works now. I sent Boardhost an email about this issue and have yet to hear back.

Yes, these outages, while relatively rare, are almost always temporary - maybe about an hour or so off and on. Good luck getting a reply from Boardhost - I've written them on other issues over the past few years and have never received a single reply. 

They used to be very good at getting back to people, especially those of us like yours truly who pay the company every six months or so to keep the site ad free. Now, they've gone - you should pardon the expression given our subject matter - radio silent.