sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2022 7:03 pm  #1

CHEX Peterborough News

For some reason CHEX has no local newscast at 6 p.m. They are simulcasting Global Toronto. Any clues out there as to what's going on? Alan Carter welcomed Peterborough viewers to the newscast.

November 23, 2022 7:34 pm  #2

Re: CHEX Peterborough News

When I worked at CBC Ottawa, it happened a couple of times when Toronto had to take the Ottawa news and vice versa.  It's usually because of a major meltdown by automation software.

November 24, 2022 1:25 am  #3

There was a lot of dead air in commercial breaks. Local ads eventually ran, but ran late, so news segments from Toronto were cut. I remember years ago when CBLT would sometimes air CBMT news. Might have been during a worker strike or something. Hopefully CHEX will be back tomorrow (I forgot to check .at 11pm).

November 24, 2022 5:09 am  #4

It might be a violation of their broadcast licence to refrain from providing local Peterborough news on CHEX.
(I did say might...did not say "is") 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 24, 2022 5:26 am  #5

Does anyone know if CIII-27 Peterborough is still on the air? Since I moved to Port Hope on Sept. 1, I have not received a single Canadian station. I am in a very bad location and face north against another building. Not good. I have had some good DX a couple of times. On bad days, if I get anything at all, it's usually Buffalo and Batavia. I sometimes get Rochester. If I would have been lucky enough to get a unit on the south side of the building, I'd be so happy. But I was not that lucky. Imagine that...not one single Canadian station since September 1!!!

November 24, 2022 7:37 am  #6

Yes Bill 27 is still on air but is scheduled to go off at some point

November 24, 2022 11:52 am  #7

CTV Barrie was a total disaster last night at 6pm. I felt sorry for the poor guy who stood live on  air for about 45 seconds before abruptly starting his report, then stood there again thinking a clip was airing while someone in the background could be heard " I cued him, I don't know why he can't hear me " .  

November 24, 2022 12:59 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

It might be a violation of their broadcast licence to refrain from providing local Peterborough news on CHEX.

Most stations over-perform on their weekly requirements for this very reason. Same reason radio stations have internal Cancon goals that are slightly higher than their licensed amount.

November 24, 2022 1:04 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Most stations over-perform on their weekly requirements for this very reason. Same reason radio stations have internal Cancon goals that are slightly higher than their licensed amount.

Being a Toronto repeater is not over performing. It's failure to deliver.
There is an obligation to honour the local portion of their licence.

November 24, 2022 1:21 pm  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Local news requirements are measured in hours per week. Most stations provide more hours than required (over-performing) in case there are technical or other difficulties that cause a reduction in that week's hours.

November 24, 2022 1:29 pm  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Local news requirements are measured in hours per week. Most stations provide more hours than required (over-performing) in case there are technical or other difficulties that cause a reduction in that week's hours.

Translated to very simple English, what recently happened better be just a simple error and nothing more.

November 24, 2022 1:33 pm  #12

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Translated to very simple English, what recently happened better be just a simple error and nothing more.

I've never seen anyone work so hard to not make a point.

November 24, 2022 1:43 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

The point is, Peterborough ain't Toronto.

November 24, 2022 5:19 pm  #14

mic'em wrote:

CTV Barrie was a total disaster last night at 6pm. I felt sorry for the poor guy who stood live on  air for about 45 seconds before abruptly starting his report, then stood there again thinking a clip was airing while someone in the background could be heard " I cued him, I don't know why he can't hear me " .  

Same for CTV London during this week Reta Ismail had an issue with her teleprompter to scroll for the next story and last week CTV London had issues with their microphones not working properly and graphic cards not matching the story they are talking about.

November 24, 2022 5:23 pm  #15

Bill Dulmage wrote:

For some reason CHEX has no local newscast at 6 p.m. They are simulcasting Global Toronto. Any clues out there as to what's going on? Alan Carter welcomed Peterborough viewers to the newscast.

I guess CHEX was short staffed or they had issues for their equipment? Not sure but this reminds me of when CHWI-DT in Windsor always simulcasted the CFPL news on the weekends.

November 24, 2022 6:03 pm  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

The point is, Peterborough ain't Toronto.

Insightful as always, sir.

November 24, 2022 7:11 pm  #17

Looks like CHEX is back tonight. Probably just a technical meltdown last night.

CHEX's 5-day a week morning show will probably more than offset 1 absent 6 PM newscast because of a major technical issue. 

November 24, 2022 7:11 pm  #18

CHEX News is on tonight and they mentioned yesterday's problem. It was described as very serious technical issues.