sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2021 10:46 am  #1

Rogers Changes U.S. Network Availability

I often read the MyRogers community support section. There is often interesting and useful advice from some very knowledgeable people. Rogers made an announcement that effective July 7,2021 ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS will only be available as part of a Theme Pack for "NEW" Ignite tv customers, but will remain available to existing customers. I believe the package is $3. So when existing customer's contracts expire, I suppose they will be offered this theme pack as well. I wonder if this is just a Rogers thing or if Bell, Cogeco etc. are having similar thoughts. I still have legacy cable until March 2022, so I am fine... for now.

July 13, 2021 10:53 am  #2

Re: Rogers Changes U.S. Network Availability

No lack of ways to gouge customers, is there?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 13, 2021 10:55 am  #3

I thought the five main US networks were required carry for Canadian cable companies. How can these now be offered on what sounds to be an 'optional' package?

July 13, 2021 11:10 am  #4

I think they have to be available... but available on mandatory skinny basic they do not need to be.   I'm no lawyer here... but to my understanding, this is why they are able to drop them from lineups on the basic levels. 

Last edited by radiokid (July 13, 2021 11:11 am)

July 13, 2021 11:53 am  #5

Cable cos were free to compose their "skinny" basic packages back in 2016 - from a list of channels which were pre-determined by the CRTC, and could include so-called 4+1 U.S. networks in "skinny basic".  Very few people signed up for "skinny basic" @ $25 per month plus tax.   I suspect that Rogers provided US 4+1 in Skinny Basic.

But  most people (I believe it was over 80% of existing subs) remained with the big packages - which they were entitled to have and 4+1 and some U.S. superstations were included in those packages..   Some cable cos, did not offer US 4+1 in skinny basic, in order to keep high take up of their more expensive packages.  Can't blame the CRTC on this one.   Just rogers trying to figure out a way to increase revenue from their "skinny basic" subs I suppose.  I would assume they will have a reasonable take-up rate for the $3 per month, so effectively they will have raised the Skinny Basic revenue from $25.00 per month to $28.00 per month, without breaking any rules.

July 13, 2021 11:54 am  #6

I believe that the American "4 + 1" still have to be available on skinny basic. The loophole may be the fact that Rogers Ignite is an IP based service. As long as the conventional digital cable service is still available and they offer "skinny basic" on that, they have an out.
The $25 skinny basic rate excludes any equipment.  They charge for the digital box, but in fact the could be carrying the mandatory channels as unencrypted 256 QAM signals and they would be receivable on any digital receiver via the cable mode.

July 13, 2021 12:41 pm  #7

Skywave wrote:

I believe that the American "4 + 1" still have to be available on skinny basic. The loophole may be the fact that Rogers Ignite is an IP based service. As long as the conventional digital cable service is still available and they offer "skinny basic" on that, they have an out.
The $25 skinny basic rate excludes any equipment.  They charge for the digital box, but in fact the could be carrying the mandatory channels as unencrypted 256 QAM signals and they would be receivable on any digital receiver via the cable mode.

IP vs regular fall under the same rules according to the CRTC.    The way I took the skinny basic (which is the only package the CRTC cares about) I remember the wording being "could be" vs "must be" included.    I think it's ok to not force people to take channels that are not required.   

The reason skinny never took off in a huge number was the price point for extras.     Adding 10 channels extra costs more than a package deal, especially if the channels are bell owned as they are way over priced on their own... Makes zero sense.   So instead of going with skinny, the customer cancels cable completely.    Seems against trying to keep customers. 

July 13, 2021 12:52 pm  #8

Rogers cable is now Legacy cable, and it is grandfathered. If you move it will not be offered to you at your new home. Only Ignite TV. Also, if you cancel cable (regardless of reason) you will not get Rogers cable back.
Only Ignite TV is available through Rogers now.

Long story short, Ignite TV still gets to fall through the cracks for simply not being cable.
$3 extra for American channels? I think I'll hold onto my Legacy cable thank-you very much!

FYI, $3 is the current charge for time shift American channels with Legacy cable.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 13, 2021 1:11 pm  #9

Yay antenna!

July 13, 2021 2:36 pm  #10

pinto wrote:

Yay antenna!

YAY IPTV!!! No antenna needed, just pay for internet and the cost of IPTV. Cheaper than cable. 

July 13, 2021 3:22 pm  #11

Quite a story!!!  When cable began in Canada the US stations were the drawing card.  Now, Rogers is nickel and diming the consumer.  I found this out yesterday as I began researching for my next contract.  This could steer a lot of people elsewhere.

July 13, 2021 6:58 pm  #12

BDU's (Broadcast Distribution Undertakings) do not have to offer US 4 +1 on the basic plan. 

They only need to offer the following:

• Local and regional TV stations
  • Channels with mandatory distribution
  • Community and provincial legislature channels (where available)
  • Provincial/territorial educational channels

July 13, 2021 7:32 pm  #13

Thanks Torontostan..   That's exactly how I remember it..    

As for your IPTV is WAY cheaper... MOST are not legal especially the ones who offer their 300 amazing channels for 10 bucks.      Most like Vmedia/Teksavvy/Start/Comwave can offer lower prices than the big guys, but tend to land skinny basic around 25 bucks which is reasonable for cost to provide service and make a profit.  

Antenna is always free and legal.   I know loads who have dropped cable for antenna and are very happy, and use legal streaming for the rest.   #1 complaint is cost and price to get what they want.  Broadcasters and Cable companies should listen to those statements.

I will survive as will many not getting NBC/CBS/FOX etc  when most shows are on Canadian networks anyhow.    Things like PBS will be missed perhaps, as the programming is not shared always. 

July 13, 2021 9:11 pm  #14

The true impact of cutting the cable: no more random mindless channel surfing, finding a movie you love and totally ditching whatever chores you were going to tackle to veg an afternoon or evening away...

I love my Netflix/Amazon Prime but it's just not the same.

July 13, 2021 9:18 pm  #15

A bit U.S. oriented, but still interesting. 

Watch live TV from your computer without paying for cable

July 13, 2021 11:08 pm  #16

radiokid wrote:

Thanks Torontostan..   

As for your IPTV is WAY cheaper... MOST are not legal especially the ones who offer their 300 amazing channels for 10 bucks.      

The $5 & $10 IPTV suffer a lot of Buffering issues and limit very much how many channels you get (mostly American) and often refrain from including Premium channels. 
I would steer clear of those. 
The better deal is to say yes to a 5 connection IPTV service priced at around $16-$20 USD monthly. 

Streaming IPTV is not illegal.
It's the IPTV providers that may be breaking the law.  
Therefore, being an IPTV customer is not illegal. 
However, being a reseller is, along with some IPTV providers out there.  
Never pay for a full year of service as anyone can be shut down any time.
6 months is risky. 3 months advance payment is best for price and value. (but still risky)
Month to month secures that a shut down hopefully happens near the end of a month so you're not out much money.
I am still a Rogers customer. I just use IPTV to get rid of the SIM SUB when I see fit...something that shouldn't be in my home in the first place.  

*month or 30 day period

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 14, 2021 12:41 am)

July 14, 2021 2:24 am  #17

This will be small potatoes if Bill C-10 is approved. There is so much wrong with this bill - not to mention that the consumer (you and I) will get the even shorter end of the stick. 

IMHO - Bill C-10 should not and hopefully will not pass.

https://www.cigionline.org/articles/bill-c-10-and-the-future-of-internet-regulation-in-canada/?utm_source=google_ads&utm_medium=grant&gclid=CjwKCAjw87SHBhBiEiwAukSeUTuw4eWnb25S1t33buBJEVCcBGA11EoCO_Z_LzjarSyIX_OySHIKnhoC31YQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Marsden (July 14, 2021 2:25 am)

July 14, 2021 8:29 am  #18

When Ted Rogers was alive Rogers had vision and an eye on profitability.  Now Rogers just cares about quarter-to-quarter profits and what the analysts think.  They are followers to Bell.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (July 14, 2021 8:29 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio.