sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2021 8:44 am  #1

Is This The Strangest TV Soundtrack Album Of All Time?

TV Guide once called it the greatest comedy ever made. That's arguable, but when you think of "Seinfeld," probably the last thing that comes to mind is the music in the series. 

So how then to explain why they're now releasing a soundtrack of the incidental music from that iconic sitcom? Outside of the tune that played under Jerry's stand-up in the opening, I can't really think of any music from the show. So how could they possibly put out an entire LP?

But now more than 30 years later, that's exactly what's coming. But would anyone buy this?

The man who composed all that background sound hopes so, and tells a great story about how he came up with the opening that has become synonymous with the show. 

‘Seinfeld’ Soundtrack Underscores Comedy Classic’s Funniest Moments

July 2, 2021 11:10 am  #2

Re: Is This The Strangest TV Soundtrack Album Of All Time?

I wasn't a fan of the tv series. Probably wouldn't like the LP either.

July 2, 2021 2:26 pm  #3

Going back to my childhood here... during that nearly 20-year run of "Inspector Gadget" most mornings on Global, the end credits mentioned the show's somewhat rare 1983 soundtrack, by Shuki Levy and Haim Saban, being available on Saban's record label... still one of my favourite TV animation soundtracks, up there with the pop-ish songs Lisa Lougheed (and maybe Luba as well) did for CBC's "The Raccoons".  The "Gadget" playlist on YouTube can be found below:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1PxYLX6sojMTsUxkfcoK9RgnbNet4gb

July 2, 2021 3:09 pm  #4

mace wrote:

It was a simple show, appealing to a simple audience.

July 2, 2021 9:33 pm  #5

Chrisphen wrote:

mace wrote:

All of the storylines intertwined, the characters weren't the cliche dumb character, sex crazed character, etc, and it added dozens of memorable phrases into pop culture.  It wasn't entirely highbrow but it wasn't a simple show at all.  It was easily one of the best sitcoms of all time.

July 2, 2021 11:58 pm  #6

One of my favourite soundtracks is from the 1963 cartoon "The Mighty Hercules".  No, I'm not talking about the Theme song recorded by Johnny Nash, although it stands alone.  I'm talking about the incidental music, almost all of which was "borrowed" (probably under license) from a movie entitled "The Black Shield of Falworth"

The most familiar parts from the cartoon can be found 4:02 and 5:57.

Last edited by Peter the K (July 3, 2021 9:24 am)

July 9, 2021 11:13 am  #7

What a great story this is - the composer of the Seinfeld theme offered to change it when NBC strongly objected. But creator Larry David got so mad at his willingness to compromise that he threw the tunesmith out of the meeting!

‘Seinfeld’ Composer Says Larry David Saved the Sitcom’s Theme Song After Network Called It “Odd and Weird”

July 9, 2021 2:45 pm  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

mace wrote:

All of the storylines intertwined, the characters weren't the cliche dumb character, sex crazed character, etc, and it added dozens of memorable phrases into pop culture.  It wasn't entirely highbrow but it wasn't a simple show at all.  It was easily one of the best sitcoms of all time.

It'll be interesting to see what they say about the "TV show about nothing," when CNN does its series on sitcoms,
starting Sunday night. The regular characters were all so strong and their timing was a joy to behold.
I'm with you, Tomas.

July 9, 2021 2:55 pm  #9

The episode called "The Contest" is one of the greatest 22 minutes of comedy in TV history. Brilliantly written, hilariously acted and a subject (masturbation) that TV has rarely, if ever, tackled. I remember the first time I ever saw it. I had a C-Band satellite dish in my backyard and the show fed at around 4:30 AM a day or two before it aired on the network. I got up to go to work and watched it that morning, and then immediately rewatched it, something I rarely do.  

I took the VCR tape into work with me and showed it to my boss, who watched it in his office, then immediately called in several staff members to show it to them. (You might say that on that day, he was Master of his Domain.)

An amazing bit of work and rightfully worthy of an Emmy. 

July 9, 2021 4:17 pm  #10

mike marshall wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what they say about the "TV show about nothing," when CNN does its series on sitcoms,
starting Sunday night. The regular characters were all so strong and their timing was a joy to behold.
I'm with you, Tomas.

👍👍

Last edited by Media Observer (July 9, 2021 4:18 pm)

July 9, 2021 4:18 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

The episode called "The Contest" is one of the greatest 22 minutes of comedy in TV history. Brilliantly written, hilariously acted and a subject (masturbation) that TV has rarely, if ever, tackled. I remember the first time I ever saw it. I had a C-Band satellite dish in my backyard and the show fed at around 4:30 AM a day or two before it aired on the network. I got up to go to work and watched it that morning, and then immediately rewatched it, something I rarely do.  

I took the VCR tape into work with me and showed it to my boss, who watched it in his office, then immediately called in several staff members to show it to them. (You might say that on that day, he was Master of his Domain.)

An amazing bit of work and rightfully worthy of an Emmy. 

👍👍

Last edited by Media Observer (July 9, 2021 4:19 pm)