sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2021 3:20 pm  #1

History Of The Sitcom

Ibelieve RA mentioned this documentary in another thread. At the time, the broadcast date was unknown. Now it is. CNN  will premiere the eight part series Sunday July 18th [presumably at 9PM]

June 6, 2021 3:49 pm  #2

Re: History Of The Sitcom

Thanks for the update. I'd been hoping to find out when this would air. I really enjoyed the Late Night documentary, which wraps up Sunday night with Part 6. Nice to see a local firm doing some great work.

July 5, 2021 1:26 pm  #3

Just a further clarification.  The series will star with part 1 and 2 airing Sunday July 11 at 9:00 P.M.

July 5, 2021 2:15 pm  #4

Thanks. DVR is set!

July 7, 2021 3:30 pm  #5

torontostan wrote:

My Bell guide is showing 8 and 9pm on the 18th! FYI. Not sure if that's accurate?

It is,  however the 9:00 pm slot is where the new episodes air.  When it comes to multi-week programming of a special series,  CNN often airs the previous week's show in the hour preceding the newest episode.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 7, 2021 5:58 pm)

July 7, 2021 3:31 pm  #6

torontostan wrote:

My Bell guide is showing 8 and 9pm on the 18th! FYI. Not sure if that's accurate?

Rogers Legacy cable guide has it listed July 11th at 9 and 10pm.

July 7, 2021 3:42 pm  #7

mace wrote:

torontostan wrote:

Rogers Legacy cable guide has it listed July 11th at 9 and 10pm.

Also correct.  As Peter the K noted,  CNN is starting the series with a double episode premiere this Sunday;  with Episodes 1 & 2 airing at 9:00 and 10:00 pm respectively.  Subsequent new episodes will debut Sundays at 9:00 pm,  (with a repeat of the previous week's show airing at 8:00 pm).

Last edited by Media Observer (July 7, 2021 3:43 pm)

July 7, 2021 3:43 pm  #8

Zap2it.com, which I generally find to be pretty accurate, also confirms July 11th as the premiere date. Of course, if there's a major breaking news story, all bets are off. Which is the one frustrating thing about watching a series on CNN.

July 7, 2021 3:56 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Zap2it.com, which I generally find to be pretty accurate, also confirms July 11th as the premiere date. Of course, if there's a major breaking news story, all bets are off. Which is the one frustrating thing about watching a series on CNN.

I also, highly recommend Zap2it. 

Given the "accuracy"  of Rogers TV Listings on many days,  I use this site daily to see not only what is of interest to me;  but to also verify airing times before programming a show for PVR purposes.  It provides a 2 week window that is very accurate.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 7, 2021 4:00 pm)

July 7, 2021 10:57 pm  #10

I wonder if any mention will be made of Amos & Andy which was not only one of the first TV sitcoms (if you watch it you'll recognize many gags and situations from later sitcoms) but the radio version was arguably the first sitcom. A comprehensive history of sitcoms can't not talk about Amos & Andy - but would also have to deal with its racism just as you can't talk about a history of US movies without talking about Birth of a Nation. 

July 9, 2021 3:37 pm  #11

This is a great article from Variety about the History of the Sitcom documentary series, including that it contains the very last interview ever given by the late Carl Reiner. (He did it with Dick van Dyke and Mel Brooks in the same session and you have to wonder how the interviewers ever got a word in edgewise.) 

It also explains how they figured out a way to lay out sitcom history, when it could have gone a thousand different ways.

But my favourite part is at the end, where's there's a list of little-known situation comedy facts that thankfully haven't been lost to history. 

‘History of the Sitcom’ Producers on Carl Reiner’s Last Interview, Tackling ‘The Cosby Show’ and What Makes a Comedy