sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2021 11:01 pm  #1

When Will 1220 CFAJ St. Catharines Finally Debut?

I used to joke about CKNT, aka Sauga 960, taking seven years to get on the air. But at least when they finally did get a test signal up and running, the station actually began programming not long after. 

You can't say that about CFAJ, the not-so-new anymore oldies outlet at 1220 in St. Catharines. The first notice of this station was on a post here put up on Feb. 11, 2020. We're less than a month away from it being a full year since that date, and they're still testing. One Facebook page hasn't been updated since early last year while another hasn't seen anything new since November. (Which one is the official page anyway?)

Their "Coming Soon" website has nothing on it, and as far as I can tell, they haven't had a single spot on the air since their test launch.

How long can this go on and does anyone know if and when they finally plan to flip the switch on becoming a real honest-to-goodness radio station? Even with COVID getting in the way, this seems like an inordinately long delay.

January 14, 2021 12:55 am  #2

Re: When Will 1220 CFAJ St. Catharines Finally Debut?

As I was saying/asking a while back, how much does it cost to be in "test" mode?
What is paying for it? (Where is the money coming from to keep the test mode on the air?)
It must cost an awful lot of money to run, even with no on air staff.
The tower alone must be rather costly...especially since we're talking about AM, not FM... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 14, 2021 10:50 am  #3

Tardis wrote:

Are they still on the air? I haven't heard them in Cobourg since the start of the year!

And the answer appears to be no, they're not. I tried them for the first time in months on Thursday. Nothing on 1220 but static. What do you suppose that means? 

January 14, 2021 5:40 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Tardis wrote:

Are they still on the air? I haven't heard them in Cobourg since the start of the year!

And the answer appears to be no, they're not. I tried them for the first time in months on Thursday. Nothing on 1220 but static. What do you suppose that means? 

Maybe they're testing on low(er) power, just strong enough to be heard in St. Catharines? 
Too bad Peter Borbely doesn't post here so he can chime in and let us know what's going on... 
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/peter-borbely-crm-90928952

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 14, 2021 7:50 pm  #5

In Hamilton here, static on 1220.......

January 20, 2021 9:34 pm  #6

They're back this evening. Almost equal to Cleveland. Wonder what happened. No new logs in last few days while at my DX site but I did honest to #$%$ing goodness trip out to WLSD in Big Stone Gap Virginia.