sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2019 11:16 am  #1


Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

It's still early for most people to be thinking about Remembrance Day, and getting a poppy. Though that's not stopping the Royal Canadian Legion from using Twitter to get the word out that this year's campaign is under way.

Over the weekend I saw a couple of West coast media personalities tweeting out their poppy wearing photos. Considering that every year, a good number of Toronto's radio personalities bemoan the fact that fewer people are buying poppies, a photo tweet from John Moore, John Derringer, Bryan Hayes, Scott MacArthur etc. wearing a poppy could go a heck of a long way to encouraging other Canadians to step up. With radio stations now on Twitter AND Instagram, poppies and Remembrance Day provide fresh content. Even broadcasting the locations where people can pick up a poppy helps. Looking good while doing good is good radio.

A couple of years ago, a veteran showed me a trick to securing the poppy, just double the pin through the coat's material twice and it should remain until after Remembrance Day. It could even be a radio news story. "How to secure your poppy!"

It would be terrific if this could be the year radio makes the most of it's platform, and brings Remembrance Day home to the listener.

 

October 28, 2019 12:32 pm  #2


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

Television certainly does a great job of promoting wearing of the poppy with on air hosts, reporters, and  even people being interviewed.  Most stations offer a poppy to guests when they are interviewed on morning shows or for a news report.

I have noticed many people tend to put their poppy on right after Halloween on November 1st, with the poppy worn until around noon on November 11th, after the Remembrance Day Service.

 

October 28, 2019 12:48 pm  #3


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

https://i.ibb.co/mDSBvvw/puppies.jpg

 

October 28, 2019 6:58 pm  #4


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

betaylored wrote:

It's still early for most people to be thinking about Remembrance Day, and getting a poppy. Though that's not stopping the Royal Canadian Legion from using Twitter to get the word out that this year's campaign is under way.

Not to early at all;  starting (officially) on the last Friday of October.

https://www.legion.ca/remembrance/the-poppy/how-to-wear-a-poppy
 

 

October 28, 2019 7:14 pm  #5


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

Love him or hate him, Don Cherry also does a good job recalling those that died and served our great country...

 


The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...
 

October 28, 2019 7:43 pm  #6


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

How many people actually care about the cause versus how many feel peer-pressured (read "bullied") into wearing one?

 

October 28, 2019 8:20 pm  #7


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

TheConsultant wrote:

How many people actually care about the cause versus how many feel peer-pressured (read "bullied") into wearing one?

"Peer pressured"?  "Bullied"?

I wear one proudly to recognize those who paid the ultimate price to give us a free society;  that allows all (even stupid and insulting) opinions to be voiced and published!
 

Last edited by Media Observer (October 28, 2019 9:46 pm)

 

October 28, 2019 9:42 pm  #8


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

Bullied and peer pressured, that is a little hard to believe!  Most people do care about the cause, and remember and understand why.  If you are ever in Ottawa, make sure to reserve most of a day to tour the Canadian War Museum. Well worth the time, and you will leave a little different than when you entered. 

 

October 29, 2019 8:40 am  #9


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

Anyone who enjoys the freedom of living in Canada should be wearing one....native born Canadians and Immigrants alike .

 

October 29, 2019 9:13 am  #10


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

For better or worse, the poppy often acted as a politically correct "prop" at the TV newsroom I worked in. It was just part of the uniform, like a shirt and tie on the male anchor. Sounds almost like an afterthought, but you wouldn't believe how important it was. 

One day, our lead anchor was in a hurry, changed his suit jacket, forgot to put the poppy on and went on the air without it. The phone calls and emails of outrage that followed ensured it never happened again, and after the first commercial break, it was back.

It continually amazes me what people pay close attention to when they watch the news. There can be all kinds of horrible headlines about shootings, political scandals, terrible disasters and the like. But people text or email that they don't like the female anchor's new hairstyle or the dress she's wearing. 

 

October 29, 2019 10:07 am  #11


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

RadioActive wrote:

For better or worse, the poppy often acted as a politically correct "prop" at the TV newsroom I worked in. It was just part of the uniform, like a shirt and tie on the male anchor. Sounds almost like an afterthought, but you wouldn't believe how important it was. 

One day, our lead anchor was in a hurry, changed his suit jacket, forgot to put the poppy on and went on the air without it. The phone calls and emails of outrage that followed ensured it never happened again, and after the first commercial break, it was back.

It continually amazes me what people pay close attention to when they watch the news. There can be all kinds of horrible headlines about shootings, political scandals, terrible disasters and the like. But people text or email that they don't like the female anchor's new hairstyle or the dress she's wearing. 

I understand your point about image details being a priority in a broadcast environment;  but one's feelings about our Veterans' sacrifices are pretty obvious if you are feeling "peer pressured" & "bullied" to wear a poppy.
 

 

October 29, 2019 11:09 am  #12


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

RadioActive wrote:

the poppy often acted as a politically correct "prop" at the TV newsroom I worked in. It was just part of the uniform

EXACTLY my point. It IS a "politically correct prop". That's my point to a tee. People feel pressured into wearing one, regardless of their intrinsic beliefs.

Even here, several posters jumped on my original post with their opposing viewpoints labeling me somehow anti-military, anti-veteran, anti-sacrificing, etc. Those people made my point for me and I thank them. 

One shouldn't feel the obligation to wear one simply because it is the societal convention.  Beyond that, I find it truly ironic that several posters have expressed that the Great Wars were, in part, fought so people can openly express their opinions. Yet, when I do, I am summarily critiqued and peer-pressured and bullied into silencing my views.
 

 

October 29, 2019 12:04 pm  #13


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

TheConsultant wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

the poppy often acted as a politically correct "prop" at the TV newsroom I worked in. It was just part of the uniform

EXACTLY my point. It IS a "politically correct prop". That's my point to a tee. People feel pressured into wearing one, regardless of their intrinsic beliefs.

Even here, several posters jumped on my original post with their opposing viewpoints labeling me somehow anti-military, anti-veteran, anti-sacrificing, etc. Those people made my point for me and I thank them. 

One shouldn't feel the obligation to wear one simply because it is the societal convention.  Beyond that, I find it truly ironic that several posters have expressed that the Great Wars were, in part, fought so people can openly express their opinions. Yet, when I do, I am summarily critiqued and peer-pressured and bullied into silencing my views.
 

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing here. Are you referring to the average person being pressured to wear a poppy, or as RA seems to be talking about people on air? These are two different things.

On air, it pretty much comes with the job. Same as wearing a tie or a dress shirt for a man on TV.   Bullied is a bit harsh and exaggerated, it is basically expected for a week or so on air people will wear a poppy. Not really a big deal.

The average person on the street peer-pressured or bullied? Hardly, most people choose not to wear a poppy. Nobody said you were anti-military, anti-veteran, etc. But you did bring it on yourself when you actually questioned if people even cared. This would be insulting to many that do wear a poppy every year for all of the "right" reasons. 

Did you actually think that some on the forum would not say anything about your comment which was somewhat provocative and whether intentional or not, somewhat insulting? And to say that your viewpoint has been silenced, again is exaggerated. If you believe what you said then you should be prepared to defend it, prove your point and not be surprised when others don't agree.

When anyone expresses their opinion, part of the deal in a democracy is that you could be asked to justify what was said. That is what happened with your original comment, you questioning if people wearing a poppy really cared. And yes, that is what part of the Great Wars were about, the freedom to express your opinion, but it is always a two way street.



 

 

October 29, 2019 12:17 pm  #14


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

I have a hard time accepting the notion that the "average" person on the street wearing a poppy truly appreciates the great sacrifice that our veterans did. I also don't believe they stop at 1100 on the 11th and take a moment to remember. Much like the professional on TV, the poppy has become "part of the uniform" that people wear. However, its symbolism is grossly lost on the vast majority of people. People wear it because not wearing it may get them some kind of backlash. That said, just because they are wearing one, in no way, indicates their appreciation, understanding and sympathy towards the cause. In effect, it's an empty gesture. Do you honestly believe all the people wearing one really appreciates its symbolic gesture? Really?

 

October 29, 2019 1:03 pm  #15


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

TheConsultant wrote:

That said, just because they are wearing one, in no way, indicates their appreciation, understanding and sympathy towards the cause. In effect, it's an empty gesture.its symbolic gesture? Really?

I was raised to stand for a moment's silence at the 11th hour and have done so since I was a child.

My parents, relatives and others who all came out of the War years in England encouraged me to learn and make up my own mind as I entered adolescence. I served in the Army (peacetime, no deployment) for 6 years in the 70s/80s and have always honored those who died, both on Parade and on my own time;  including ceremonial moments for those returning for the Final Time from Afghanistan.

I do not ask or expect everyone to assume my beliefs or loyalties, but do not presume to assume and tell me that "I "DON'T UNDERSTAND"!
 

Last edited by Media Observer (October 29, 2019 3:59 pm)

 

October 29, 2019 1:21 pm  #16


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

I never said anything about all the people wearing a poppy really appreciating it's symbolic gesture. Did everyone who voted a week ago understand the symbolic gesture of casting a vote?  Not likely, and that isn't the point. 

How much people understand or appreciate, will vary, but millions and millions do.  Over 20 millions poppies were sold last year. Anyone who takes the time to buy a poppy and wear it is sending out a big message.  Remembrance. Very simple.

I believe that Remembrance Day is actually a bigger deal now than when I was in school. The services seem to be larger than I remember in my home town, and the lead up to Remembrance Day has more exposure than it used to. Things like commemorative coins, stamps are more prevalent now, and I would even say that young people in my opinion have a better knowledge of Canada's war efforts than I did at their age.

The new Canadian War Museum in Ottawa is really impressive, and last year when I toured the building it was full of pubic and high school students.

Anyway, getting back to the average person, I still don't see the peer pressure that was mentioned. People are free to wear a poppy or not, and most don't, but millions and millions do. And most do care. 

 

October 29, 2019 1:57 pm  #17


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

@patterson1,

No need for me to reprint all that you have taken the time to post,  however I would be remiss if I did not say Thank You for your comments not only on the poppy, what it represents etc.  but your concise summations regarding the validity and expectations of different opinions being published on this (or any other) topic.. 

Providing alternate viewpoints is one of the strengths of this site and its' current and past Moderators are to be commended for the quality of their work in providing such a resource.

Last edited by Media Observer (October 29, 2019 1:58 pm)

 

October 29, 2019 3:55 pm  #18


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

Media Observer, thanks for your comments as well and your thoughtful response. Differing viewpoints, opinion, debate and exchange of ideas, that's what life is all about.  A good discussion, and I thank you for your time and your point of view . Cheers.

 

 

October 30, 2019 8:13 am  #19


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

All of the companies that have employed me over the years, have had a moment of silence at 11AM on Nov 11th. I do remember. My grandfather was a medic during World War I.

 

October 30, 2019 11:39 am  #20


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

mace wrote:

All of the companies that have employed me over the years, have had a moment of silence at 11AM on Nov 11th. I do remember. My grandfather was a medic during World War I.

Mine also served and (like far too many) lived out his remaining decades suffering from the effects of Gas attacks.

Lest We Forget.
 

 

November 8, 2019 9:41 pm  #21


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

Had lunch with a friend today, and I noticed he was wearing a poppy. Past years he usually didn't. I mentioned to him that this year, it seems that more people are showing a poppy. He agreed with me and he said even more young people than usual as well.  

After lunch on the way home, I was listening to CHML in Hamilton, and I believe it was Scott Thompson who said the same thing.  He wondered if it was because there are very few veterans from the Second World War still alive. Even the youngest are now in their mid 90's. He felt it was a show of respect, and the realization that these heroes will not be with us much longer. 

Also the media does a better job now promoting Remembrance Day, especially after our involvement in Afghanistan and the Middle East. This week I have seen a lot of promos on CTV,CBC, CP24 and Global promoting Monday's service, and  ads for the new $2 D-Day coin. Even the local Sobeys where I buy groceries has for the first time I can recall a Remembrance Day display in the store as you come in. 

 

November 9, 2019 1:07 am  #22


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

A couple of days ago, the National Post had a winner of an article on 7 ways to keep your poppy securely pinned to your coat, blazer, etc.

I also read on Twitter that the Legion has numerous corporate sponsors including Shoppers Drug Mart and the Source that have the poppies for sale, so there's multiple locations, including Sobeys as paterson1 has mentioned, to find a way to show our appreciation.

Several years ago, the veteran I was picking up my poppy from asked me if I would like them to pin it on. I smiled and said yes, please. I still remember the funny feeling it gave me as I stood there, a bit of a lump in my throat, as they carefully and firmly pinned the poppy on.

Last edited by betaylored (November 9, 2019 1:44 am)

     Thread Starter
 

November 9, 2019 11:47 am  #23


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

I keep a poppy on the visor of my car year round.  It's in plain sight and every day I'm reminded of those who sacrificed everything, and those who serve to keep us safe.

They deserve more consideration than one minute one day a year.
 

 

November 9, 2019 12:47 pm  #24


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

betaylored wrote:

Several years ago, the veteran I was picking up my poppy from asked me if I would like them to pin it on. I smiled and said yes, please. I still remember the funny feeling it gave me as I stood there, a bit of a lump in my throat, as they carefully and firmly pinned the poppy on.

You are not alone.  I still get emotional when talking to veterans and also when seeing the poor treatment too many of them have received from politicians of all stripes.
 

Last edited by Media Observer (November 9, 2019 12:54 pm)

 

November 9, 2019 3:11 pm  #25


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

bullied (in other words "forced") into wearing a poppy? just when i thought i've heard it all. ok, i get the whole "follow the leader or else" thing, but c'mon. if you go out of your way to refrain from wearing a (remembrance) poppy because you choose not to conform, you (imho) have issues that go far beyond poppy wearing. meanwhile, if you're trying to connect with the public (in your job, etc.) choosing to display such a stance is (in my opinion) more than a little wacky... it's setting yourself up to fail.

Last edited by the original hank (November 9, 2019 3:12 pm)

 

November 9, 2019 4:46 pm  #26


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

the original hank wrote:

bullied (in other words "forced") into wearing a poppy? just when i thought i've heard it all. ok, i get the whole "follow the leader or else" thing, but c'mon. if you go out of your way to refrain from wearing a (remembrance) poppy because you choose not to conform, you (imho) have issues that go far beyond poppy wearing. meanwhile, if you're trying to connect with the public (in your job, etc.) choosing to display such a stance is (in my opinion) more than a little wacky... it's setting yourself up to fail.

Perfect examples of my point, thank you. A perfect illustration of my original point. "Following the leader" or being looked-down on due to not wearing a poppy IS an illustration of being bullied into wearing one. "Connecting with the public" is another example.

Pretty darn ironic because weren't the wars fought for our freedom? The freedom to not wear a poppy? Anything else is... bullying.
 

 

November 9, 2019 8:21 pm  #27


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

lol. i understand. anyone who questions your (in my opinion) unconventional publicly made statements can be accused of bullying. geez, i didn't know i was so influential. if you really want to take this a notch up on the nutty scale, your comments could be construed as bullying too. ok, i'm spitting out your hook. to each his/her own. btw, could i interest you in a poppy? oops, sorry... man, i gotta stop wearing this black leather legion motorcycle jacket.

Last edited by the original hank (November 9, 2019 8:24 pm)

 

November 9, 2019 8:41 pm  #28


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

the original hank wrote:

lol. i understand. anyone who questions your (in my opinion) unconventional publicly made statements can be accused of bullying. geez, i didn't know i was so influential. if you really want to take this a notch up on the nutty scale, your comments could be construed as bullying too. ok, i'm spitting out your hook. to each his/her own. btw, could i interest you in a poppy? oops, sorry... man, i gotta stop wearing this black leather legion motorcycle jacket.

Exactly....welcome to the Snowflake Rulebook:  submit a comment you know will generate responses;  and then claim you are a victim of bullying when those responses come in!

PS...wear the leather jacket proudly, the original hank!!!!!
 

Last edited by Media Observer (November 11, 2019 11:26 am)

 

November 10, 2019 12:45 am  #29


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

Media Observer wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Several years ago, the veteran I was picking up my poppy from asked me if I would like them to pin it on. I smiled and said yes, please. I still remember the funny feeling it gave me as I stood there, a bit of a lump in my throat, as they carefully and firmly pinned the poppy on.

You are not alone.  I still get emotional when talking to veterans and also when seeing the poor treatment too many of them have received from politicians of all stripes.
 

You and Peter the K both make excellent points, more than a minute or a day is needed, and there's much to do before Canada can say we truly support our veterans the way they deserve to be supported.

And then on HNIC Saturday night we had Sour Grapes himself Don Cherry berating new Canadians for not wearing a poppy. He could have had such a positive response if he'd encouraged new Canadians to buy and wear one.

     Thread Starter
 

November 10, 2019 2:50 am  #30


Re: Unforgettable Radio Opportunity? Yes and....

betaylored wrote:

And then on HNIC Saturday night we had Sour Grapes himself Don Cherry berating new Canadians for not wearing a poppy

Gotta love when other people make my point for me.