sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2019 11:48 am  #181

Re: CKNT

I believe there are some who think the same plot could be in the works for the new 1220 AM in St. Catharines, Grapevine Radio, which is supposed to be an oldies station. They have yet to make it to air (and some here think it may never happen.) But that's how the old CHSC got into trouble and lost its licence.

But how much is too much?

If you count the three CHINs (1540, 100.7 and 91.9), CIRV (88.9), CJSA (aka CMR) (101.3), CJRK (102.7), CHLO (530 AM), CJMR (1320 AM), CIRF (1350 AM not yet on air), CHKT (1430 AM), CHHA (1610 AM), CINA (1650 AM) and CHTO (1690 AM), not to mention WTOR (770 AM) from across the border but aimed straight at Toronto, the question has to be asked: how many ethnic stations does the GTA need?

July 23, 2019 11:59 am  #182

Ms. Danielle May-Cuconato left the CRTC two years ago.  not even with the government any more.  hmmm.....

regardless, considering the pushback radio humsfar got from intervenors recently, the only hope CKNT has is if humsfar forfeits their licence and 'NT positions itself to fill the gap.

July 23, 2019 12:35 pm  #183

A couple of points.  The Region 105.9 is completely legit.  They took on an obligation to serve ethnic listeners from the get-go and have stringent binding conditions of licence.  
[list=1]
[*]In each broadcast week, the licensee shall provide programming directed to a minimum of five ethnic groups in a minimum of nine languages. 
[*]As an exception to section 7(3) of the Radio Regulations, 1986, the licensee may devote a maximum of 36.9% of its programming to third-language programming.
[/list]
On the other hand, many ethnic stations "broker" their airtime. They don't control the content, don't even monitor to ensure the public is being served with quality programming.  The typical scenario is Station A sells airtime at $500 per hour to Broker B.  Broker B sells up to 45 minutes of spots per hour.  Yeh, you heard correctly - 45 mins of spots, at literally a few bucks per spot.  This devalues airtime of stations who actually produce quality programming - because the cost per spot is hideously low.  The broker recovers his/her costs - but at the end of the day - what went on air? 15 minutes of "programming"?  How's the community really served in that scenario.   I suspect there is a main "broker" behind the CKNT application.
While brokerage is probably a good business plan in communities who have no access to ethnic programming, allowing one more into the marketplace, isn't a good idea.  When you look at the number of stations & brokers chasing the same ethnic group(s) - S. Asians - it becomes absurd, for the size of the population.  I very much doubt that Latin Americans are going to get quality programming from CKNT.  Besides, there is a station already available in the GTA - 1610 KHz - San Lorenzo radio that super-serves the relatively small Latin American population.   CKNT has provided no evidence of economic need, much less any compelling data that would suggest that Mississauga, Brampton, and Etobicoke residents (where the signal reaches) are in need of more ethnic programs.  The application is simply a sham.

July 26, 2019 8:29 am  #184

Marc Patrone's mid-morning show has been a rerun the past two days. On Thursday, they ran a very dated repeat, and then made it worse on Friday by rolling the exact same one as the day before. You'd think they'd have enough in the bank to at least air some other reroll. 

Given the history of the place and the way they've treated other "personalities" in the past, I wonder if he's still there. Monday morning should tell the tale.

Unless they choose to run this same show a third time. 

August 20, 2019 10:22 am  #185

tvguy wrote:

CKNT wants 22% ethnic programming.  The CRTC application lists Peet Pannu - a Mississauga Lawyer as the regulatory counsel.  Any relation to "Pannu" the ethnic broadcaster?

I notice the deadline for submissions on this application has been extended to Sept. 11th. Not sure if there's any significance to that, but I'm betting there are a number of interventions, especially given their original conditions of licence and what they promised

(Say, I wonder what happened to all those Mississauga City Hall meetings they told the CRTC they were going to broadcast? Or the news they were going to provide about the region? As far as I can tell, they no longer have a newsroom or a single newscaster.) 

August 20, 2019 10:31 am  #186

I haven't listened to the mighty 'NT in a while, but from what I remember, they do not have a newscaster.  

August 20, 2019 10:33 am  #187

By the way, I notice that a week ago, the CRTC sent CKNT a letter asking them about exactly what they're looking to do. The Commission's questions:

1) Please provide a schedule when the periods of English-language ethnic programming and third language ethnic programming will be broadcast during the broadcast week on CKNT.

2 )Please identify what percentage of the broadcast week schedule is currently devoted to third-language ethnic programming.

3) In light of your request to devote more than 15% (i.e.: 22%) of the broadcast week to third-language ethnic programming, please indicate the language(s) in which the proposed third-language ethnic programming would be provided and the ethnic groups to which this programming would be devoted.

4) 
Please clarify whether the licensee is requesting the addition of a condition of licence to dedicate 22% of its programming in a broadcast week to third-language ethnic programming (as defined above). Please provide your proposed wording for this condition of licence. Please note that this wording must indicate whether the programming is ethnic programming, English language ethnic programming, or third language ethnic programming.

They've also ordered CKNT to advise more of their potential competitors to the request, presumably so they can have their say, as well. It's due by August 27th, which could explain the new deadline. 

"Commission staff is of the view that CJMR Mississauga, licensed to Trafalgar Broadcasting Limited, and CINA Mississauga, licensed to 1760791 Ontario Inc. could be considered “adverse in interest.” In light of the above facts related to the application, you are required to serve the application on CJMR and CINA."

How could a station licenced to Mississauga not have thought it was appropriate to inform the only other station in that city - CJMR, which is already all ethnic - about these plans? 

Broadcasting Procedural Letter addressed to Preet Pannu

August 20, 2019 10:35 am  #188

grilled.cheese wrote:

I haven't listened to the mighty 'NT in a while, but from what I remember, they do not have a newscaster.  

In this case, no news is not good news. They haven't had a single newscast on for weeks, if not months, and thus no need for a newscaster position.

Odd, for a station that boasts a "News/Talk" format

August 20, 2019 1:34 pm  #189

I tried listening recently at top of hour for a newscast and nadda.    They should have hourly newscasts alongside their talk shows.    This should be the go-to station for Mississauga residents to get local news.

August 20, 2019 2:39 pm  #190

That'd never work financially. The only way they can be in the black is 78% automated music, 22% brokered 3rd language programming.

August 21, 2019 9:03 am  #191

Their newly designed and revamped website is up, and while the splash page is pretty, it doesn't tell you a whole lot and it's filled with bugs. The "On-Air Hosts" page takes you to a long list of all their talent, but when you click on any of them, you get a "404 Not Found" response for every one of them. They need to fix that. (It does work from the Shows page, however.)

Their "Listen Live" feature is only on the home page, which means if you navigate anywhere else within the site, it stops playing. 

Their section called "Our Story" features this prose:

"Our flagship programs –[i] The Raw Mike Richards Show and The Spin with Barry Davis[/i] – are scheduled in accordance to the morning and evening commute. Our exclusive report, Traffic on the 5’s, delivers the best GTA west-end traffic update to our listeners."

Two sports-oriented shows are the flagship shows on a News/Talk station? Hmmm. Also, calling traffic "exclusive," no matter when it runs, would seem to be more than an exaggeration.  

I also note that their long promised video feed, which was on their previous site, is nowhere to be seen. Instead they vow that podcasts are "coming soon." They have an area labelled "Let's Get Social" which I presume is designed to link to some kind of social media area. But there's no link and there's nothing there.

Well, at least it sort of looks nicer than their old one. 

One good thing about it is their propagation map, which purports to show how far their signal travels. You can see it below. 

New Sauga960 website 

https://sauga960am.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/x_Map.png

August 21, 2019 9:15 am  #192

RadioActive wrote:

It'll reach that far east on a good day with a very strong westerly.

August 21, 2019 9:27 am  #193

Website doesnt even work 

August 21, 2019 4:19 pm  #194

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

It'll reach that far east on a good day with a very strong westerly.

That's being polite.  I live in a condo in Brooklin facing west with no buildings next to me;  and I still cannot receive the signal from either my second floor balcony or in my car driving west on Highway 7.  That map is a crock!

Last edited by Media Observer (August 21, 2019 7:02 pm)

August 22, 2019 3:41 am  #195

The daytime signal is good in Whitby [401-Brock] Nighttime signal nonexistent until 401-McCowan, Listenable signal 401-Avenue Rd.