sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2019 2:00 pm  #61

Re: CKNT

Usually takes the CRTC 2 years to "catch" up with Mr. Pannu.  The saga of Mr. Pannu's "license exempt" stations in Surrey, was one where the licenced broadcasters got virtually no cooperation from the CRTC over the course of about a year or more.   Incidentally,  960 can broadcast up to 15% ethnic programming without any special authorization from the CRTC.   That programming could run 6 am to Midnight.  That's about 18 hours a week. Typically stations that sell airtime to ethnic brokers, sell that time on weekends, when the brokers do local remotes, which is the high-paying cash cow for ethnic operators.  Don't be surprised if Sauga960 broadcasts wall-to-wall ethnic programming on weekends. 

Pellpropco went way over 15% - before and after he was turned down for an amendment to increase programming to around 40%.

February 17, 2019 2:06 am  #62

No former employees paid on Friday when due.  Peter Whitaker says to call the labour board.  Building owner (AJ Lamba) refuses to pay or return emails or calls.  Etobicoke owners  (Pannu's)will not clear the debt.  at least five or six former employees no way to get paid and let go with no notice.  They are playing with peoples livelihoods.  very disgusting all around.  they don't deserve to be in business.  Scammers.

February 17, 2019 8:13 am  #63

voiceoverexpress wrote:

They are playing with peoples livelihoods.  very disgusting all around.  they don't deserve to be in business.  Scammers.

That's the way to the top these days. See November 8, 2016 for reference.

February 17, 2019 9:08 am  #64

voiceoverexpress wrote:

No former employees paid on Friday when due.  Peter Whitaker says to call the labour board.  Building owner (AJ Lamba) refuses to pay or return emails or calls.  Etobicoke owners  (Pannu's)will not clear the debt.  at least five or six former employees no way to get paid and let go with no notice.  They are playing with peoples livelihoods.  very disgusting all around.  they don't deserve to be in business.  Scammers.

Where is Elliott Kerr in all of this? He is still the principal or controlling interest in CKNT, is he not?

Are these the four owners (Kerr, Whitaker, Pannu, and Lamba) or are there more?

February 17, 2019 10:05 am  #65

If any of the allegations outlined in this thread are true, then it seems to me this isn't a matter for the CRTC, but the police or the Labour Relations Board. Either way, things are not sounding good both figuratively or literally for CKNT. 

If this continues, who's going to want to work for them and where will they get the programming to fill a 24/7 schedule?

February 17, 2019 1:52 pm  #66

It would be interesting to know when the additional owners/partners became involved with Kerr.

My hunch is that one of the part owners is involved solely to see this thing run straight to the ground, then wrestle full control of it, and change the format to ethnic. He could then "back door" his way into Brampton.

Pannu lost his bid for a Brampton AM at 1350 khz to Radio Humsafar in October 2015.

Lamba is just a small time commercial space landlord.   He has no background in broadcasting, and has probably rented the "new" studio space in Port Credit at a reduced rate, with a small percentage of "ownership" being given in exchange for the difference between the market rate for prime storefront office/retail and what he is actually getting.

(Lamba's Whitehill Realty office was originally in the unit where the CKNT 960 studio is (or was).  Next door to this was a dry cleaner which either moved or closed down.  Lamba renovated that space into a new office for his real estate dealings, and then rents his former office space next door to to CKNT).

I highly doubt if Kerr or Whitaker have had any previous experience with working in or managing a broadcast radio outlet at any level.

February 17, 2019 5:31 pm  #67

Chuck99 wrote:

Its beginning to sound a lot like 1220 CHSC under the last few years of Pellpropco ownership. 

Do whatever it takes to stay on the air, even if you are locked out of your studio and are unable to pay your bills.

Except they don't have ancient equipment worth walking away from, lol 
CHSC at least was most likely glad to just walk away from the lease, leaving behind junk that was most likely worth less than the rent demanded.

AM 960, OTOH, might have newer broadcast equipment worth more than a month's rent...(?) 
I honestly don't know...I am merely guessing...

February 17, 2019 9:36 pm  #68

This is the second station that has been the darling of this board that has gone down in flames.  Roundhouse Radio was the other.  High priced talent, limited advertising, and no voice tracking doesn't make for a successful radio station in 2019 the way it did in 1969.

February 18, 2019 9:27 am  #69

You'll never guess who Marc Patrone had on to talk about the Trudeau-SNC Lavalin scandal.

Senator Mike Duffy, who of course was at the centre of his own scandal with the Harper Conservatives.

I'm not sure anyone else would have made that choice for a guest on this issue, although it could be argued he knows what it's like to be in the centre of a huge storm. I'm also not sure given the damage to Duffy's reputation, any other station would allow him to come on. 

February 18, 2019 11:16 am  #70

Chuck99 wrote:

I sometimes wonder if the owners plan on introducing multi-lingual programming.

I thought this too, and if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. They already have a lot of people from India on the station, some with very thick accents, all of whom speak English. But I'm sure they're fluent in other languages as well and it wouldn't take much to change to the new format with a ready-made staff. 

But there may be a few things standing in the way of such a change.

Consider: Brampton already has (or will have) two ethnic stations. CIAO -oops! Sorry, CHLO at 530 is foreign language programming. The eventual debut of Radio Humsafar at 1350 AM will bring yet another voice to the community. Then there's CJMR, which is also licenced to Mississauga and is an all ethnic station. 

Add in three nearby CHIN outlets, CJSA, the station at 101.3 FM and a few other low power broadcasters on that band, and all the X-band outlets beyond 1600 (including CINA, which is all Indian and whose slogan on its website is "More Music, Less Talk," which for some reason I find very bizarre) and the competitors could easily be intervenors in a complaint to the CRTC about an already saturated market if CKNT tried to make the move.

Frankly, I don't really see any way out for the powers behind Sauga 960, which picked the most expensive and difficult format when Eliott Kerr applied for the licence. I think they may be stuck with it for a while.

February 18, 2019 2:18 pm  #71

Bullard is tweeting again so it appears his health is better, but hasn't said anything about his apparent departure from CKNT. 

February 18, 2019 2:57 pm  #72

CKNT definitely seems to be moving back towards it's ethnic roots. 

February 19, 2019 5:13 pm  #73

It just keeps getting worse and worse. Or maybe I should say this is one sad Sauga saga.

With the loss of Bullard and company, their afternoon show on Tuesday is being hosted by Marc Patrone. The fact that he hosts the 9-11:30 AM segment is bad enough, but they're actually airing a reroll of that show as their afternoon drive program! I know because I monitored some of it this morning and it's the same broadcast. 

No mention is being made of the fact that it's a rerun. 

They went for months after sign-on without a morning drive show. Now it appears they have nothing to put on in the key hours between 4-6, either. 

February 19, 2019 5:29 pm  #74

RadioActive wrote:

Now it appears they have nothing to put on in the key hours between 4-6, either. 

If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is there, does it make a sound?

February 19, 2019 5:31 pm  #75

I dont know why they are bothering - nobody in the GTA besides being on this board knows, about CKNT 960.  There hasnt been ONE highway billboard or commercial about the station.  Who in the world of Spotify is going to tune in to some crappy AM station?

Last edited by markow202 (February 19, 2019 5:32 pm)

February 19, 2019 7:03 pm  #76

Chuck99 wrote:

I believe if the station was located on an FM frequency, more people would be paying attention to the strange programming.

IF they could pick up the signal...

February 19, 2019 7:07 pm  #77

darcyh wrote:

Didn't the former CHSC 1220 get in hot water for broadcasting from a remote studio too?

Yes, I actually worked for CHSC through the Domenic years.   Several times I had bounced cheques.   Was paid up eventually but didn’t get my last $1,000.   Was a good station but poorly managed unfortunately.   Sorry that Sauga 960 is suffering already.   Hope they can recover.     CHSC did broadcast from a studio in Woodbridge just above a restaurant that Domenic owned.  He was a shady character.   Others weren’t paid as well.

February 19, 2019 7:28 pm  #78

Will CKNT meet the 100 replies count.  Perhaps set a new record?  Stay tuned.

February 19, 2019 7:38 pm  #79

For the Love of God Stop!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kc143SgLQY

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 19, 2019 8:44 pm  #80

AMFM wrote:

Will CKNT meet the 100 replies count.  Perhaps set a new record?  Stay tuned.

superfluous reply to jack the count.

February 20, 2019 7:11 am  #81

Mike Richards' show is pretty polished but the rest of the station needs some help.

February 20, 2019 7:27 am  #82

grilled.cheese wrote:

Mike Richards' show is pretty polished but the rest of the station needs some help.

I don't agree with that at all. There are some great people doing great talk radio on CKNT.
Tune in around 7PM and see if you still feel that way. 

Norm Murray is also doing a good job in his shift.  

February 20, 2019 7:48 am  #83

Radiowiz wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I don't agree with that at all. There are some great people doing great talk radio on CKNT.
Tune in around 7PM and see if you still feel that way. 

Norm Murray is also doing a good job in his shift.  

Baseball commentary at 7?

I'll pass. 

February 20, 2019 9:48 am  #84

Grilled Cheese made it to post # 100 I think

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 20, 2019 10:33 am  #85

grilled.cheese does a terrific job keeping CKNT front-of-mind

February 20, 2019 3:51 pm  #86

But very soon, the time slot Barry Davis occupies (7 PM) will be competing against real Blue Jay games on the Fan. Which one is more likely to win an audience - play-by-play of a game or someone talking about the team and the sport in general? (Although if the Jays are as bad this year as experts suggest, Barry could just win!)

February 20, 2019 4:39 pm  #87

Another reroll of Patrone's Wednesday morning show in drivetime. If they don't have enough people to program an entire day, maybe they should put him on live at the far more important 4 PM hour than rerunning what happened at 11 in the morning. Interestingly, at one point he gave the weather and referred to it being -5C "outside our Etobicoke studios." 

So much for serving your Mississauga audience.  

February 27, 2019 8:50 am  #88

Raw Michael Richards keeps on trucking.  Still no update on the website for the shows between 2 and 7.  I've tuned in around 3:30 lately to hear an Indian fellow speaking but I'm not sure if he's permanent or not. 

February 27, 2019 9:23 am  #89

Barry Davis said on Twitter/Facebook a while ago he is going to be the drive-time guy starting in early March. There's a co-host I've never heard of.

February 27, 2019 2:37 pm  #90

wrote:

wrote:

The major drawback to the move is the stiff competition from other sports talk shows in that time slot, such as Prime Time Sports on The Fan and Overdrive on TSN 1050.  Ideally, a news/talk format would be preferable, but the station has no money to hire a person capable enough to host such a show in that time period. 

In no way should CKNT try to compete with the likes of 640, 1010 or the sports stations, or any commercial music stations. Just do their own thing, and be local and community minded. They are the radio version of the Mississauga News... 

Last edited by Saul (February 27, 2019 2:38 pm)