sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2016 6:18 pm  #1

Must-not-hear radio ads

This is not a new topic, but what radio ads make you automatically change the station? My current 2 are Alpine Credit ("approved") and the Kars for Kids jingle.  Both nauseating.

October 4, 2016 6:45 pm  #2

Re: Must-not-hear radio ads

I know I'm in the minority but the apploved one makes me smile. I want that on a t shirt.

I can't stand the kars 4 kids one but I didn't realize how widespread that hatred is till I saw the John Oliver bit.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

October 4, 2016 10:19 pm  #3

In house 'supplied' ads which call for random people to advertise when the station is already sold out with an additional 2 remotes running simultaneously anyway.

THAT'll work.

Last edited by Old Codger (October 4, 2016 10:19 pm)

October 4, 2016 10:57 pm  #4

The cars for kids thing has been shilled in the US media for years. I can't help but be very suspicious of a charity that has such a robust marketing budget.

October 4, 2016 11:48 pm  #5

JERRY AGAR ADVERTISING  FOR FRANK LEO. OH GOD, THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY.

October 5, 2016 8:23 am  #6

Subaru "i'm going go barf"  and the employment lawyer - Aaron Waxman who's voice cracks....twice in the commercial...worst recording session ever!

October 5, 2016 8:31 am  #7

If you hate Kars 4 Kids, check this one out - Guns 4 Kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmFEhS1u-Bg

October 5, 2016 4:42 pm  #8

Northwood Mortgage....SING IT!  No thanks...I hit the off button...

October 5, 2016 6:31 pm  #9

Ad people will of course bloviate that a remembered ad is a successful ad. They are, of course, woefully wrong. A terrible ad, if remembered, will cause the discerning listener to think much less of the product, the talent involved in making it, and the station that airs it. 

Some may forgive, but many will not.

October 5, 2016 7:18 pm  #10

tvguy wrote:

Subaru "i'm going go barf"  and the employment lawyer - Aaron Waxman who's voice cracks....twice in the commercial...worst recording session ever!

and you should ALWAYS (yelling) remember, that there are no bad questions, just stupid questions.
and we ONLY(again with the damn yelling) get paid, when you get paid. Sheesh.

I am Here, just not all there.

October 7, 2016 10:04 am  #11

in most (if not all) the foregoing examples, is not the main problem for listeners, incessant repetition?

I repeat . . . is incessant repetition not the main problem for listeners?

Once again, is not the main problem for listeners, incessant repetition?

K.

October 7, 2016 10:47 am  #12

I find the 1-800-Got-Junk ad really annoying.  The couple, who are over the top excited, point at their junk and see it disappear.  They both should be given a sedative.  When I hear that commercial, I change the station.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 7, 2016 10:59 pm  #13

Some great answers here. Thanks to everyone. I haven't heard some of the ads mentioned (the Subaru Korry's ads), and I guess I should be grateful.  I forgot about Jerry Agar's shilling for Frank Leo, which also gets me to change the station.  In the meantime, I found this story on Kars 4 Kids. Who knew much of their money goes to a Jewish charity for school tuition, camps and other such programs?

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/188797/kars-4-kids-rakes-in-the-buckz

Last edited by dieter (October 7, 2016 11:00 pm)

October 8, 2016 4:38 am  #14

Any and all of the Rogers ads that are played ad nauseum.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 13, 2016 1:55 pm  #15

I am getting a kick out of the Sears mattress ads that are running right now.  They are taking a swipe at Sleep Country.  The woman sounds remarkably like Christine Magee and they use the slogan, "There's no reason to buy a mattress anywhere else".   Go get 'em Sears!  I didn't even know you still had stores.

October 13, 2016 3:52 pm  #16

Any ad that has one of the voice actors chomping their food or talking while their mouth is full of food. So rude and gross. There's nothing worse than hearing someone chomp through your speakers. It happens a lot. 

October 13, 2016 5:17 pm  #17

I have two least favourites these days and if you listen to the Jays broadcasts, you'll hear them both over and over ad (you should pardon the expression) nauseam.  

The first is that execrable series of spots touting a hair salon chain, that starts with a woman saying "it's OK to take a look," and the other with a guy expounding similar nonsense. It's only at the end of the ad that you discover they're talking about themselves and how wonderful they look. Damn narcissistic egotists. Who do they think they are - Donald Trump?

The other is any commercial for that awful beef jerky, a product I've never tried and never will. But God are they idiotic, especially the version where some jackass cries tears at the end because the stuff supposedly tastes "so good." An insult to the intelligence every time they come on. Jerky, indeed. And that's my beef.

October 14, 2016 1:14 pm  #18

Alpine Credit. Seriously make me physically ill.

October 14, 2016 1:26 pm  #19

Apploved !!!!!   

Seriously, every time I hear it I smile.  I couldn't have told you the name of the company till you wrote it though, so I'm not sure how effective it is.  I was talking about it with someone a few days ago and I thought it was Butler.

DenPas wrote:

Alpine Credit. Seriously make me physically ill.

October 14, 2016 11:25 pm  #20

As the thread originator, I've got one more which I should have remembered.  I awake to the 7:30 news on CFRB but as soon as the sports is over, I'm told it's sponsored by Tom's Place.  As soon as John Moore starts to say that, my radio goes off to spare me the daily nonsense from Tom Mahalek.  As annoying as Russell Oliver, Jack Berkowitz and (another one) that Spence Jewellers' scream.  And speaking of Spence, their claim that a jeweller can't tell the difference between designer diamonds and the real ones from the ground has got to be ridiculous.  Surely any trained jeweller would know, wouldn't they?

October 15, 2016 6:03 am  #21

SCOREBOARD               ANNOY        ENJOY

kars 4 kids                          3                 0
alpine credit                         2                 2   *
korrys                                 2                 1
aaron waxman                     2                 0
frank leo                              1                 0
latte                                    1                 0
northwood                           1                 0
1 800 gotjunk                      1                 0
tom's place                         1                 0
sears                                 0                 1
spence "diamonds"             1                 0

*  voter fraud (insider stuffing ballot box) currently under investigation

Last edited by Kilgore (October 15, 2016 6:08 am)

October 15, 2016 10:46 am  #22

I'm not sure where you heard that I voted for Alpine credit twice, or once for that matter.  It's simply not true and you and the rest of the media are liars.  There's no proof and I don't know what you're talking about.   As my good friend Shaggy taught me, It wasn't me !!  Now I'm off to grab some kittens.  

Aploooooved !!!

October 15, 2016 1:18 pm  #23

This matter requires investigation by experts.     As they say on 1010 CFRB "Ask the Experts"  

October 17, 2016 11:00 am  #24

My wife asked that I add Alexanian's to the tally.  That VOICE!!

October 17, 2016 1:14 pm  #25

dwelsman wrote:

My wife asked that I add Alexanian's to the tally.  That VOICE!!

Am voting with your wife; that's two in the annoy column for Shelley ("Nasal") Alexanian

October 17, 2016 4:22 pm  #26

Charlie wrote:

I love your comments. 

​Grilled.Cheese w/o ketchup is like News/Talk 1010 w/o mike bullard

October 17, 2016 4:31 pm  #27

I wish to sumit a supporting vote for Spence Diamonds as most unlistenable adverts on air right now. I lunge for the kill switch as soon as I hear that goof.

October 17, 2016 8:58 pm  #28

Doug Thomson wrote:

...a supporting vote for Spence Diamonds as most unlistenable adverts on air right now....

They deserve a fleeting trace-level of respect. Like the stations that air their ads, they've identified their water-headed imbecile market accurately and are exploiting them with gleeful abandon.

I do agree, though, Spence and their enablers do awful things to radio. Stuff that's not fit for the most hateful mangy disgrace of a dog.