sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 18, 2017 10:16 am  #1

Who's the bigger fool ?

The buffoons in management that got the most trusted name in Canadian broadcast news, now apparently shilling for CFRB, to utter the freaking ridiculous phrase "An I Heart Radio Station", or said broadcaster for actually succumbing to such stupidity?

If I was Lloyd Robertson I'd have been telling someone to go piss up a rope. Just saying.

June 18, 2017 10:34 am  #2

Re: Who's the bigger fool ?

verger wrote:

The buffoons in management that got the most trusted name in Canadian broadcast news, now apparently shilling for CFRB, to utter the freaking ridiculous phrase "An I Heart Radio Station", or said broadcaster for actually succumbing to such stupidity?

If I was Lloyd Robertson I'd have been telling someone to go piss up a rope. Just saying.

In my opinion, I don't consider it "shilling" per se. For me, to be an actual shill, Lloyd would have to identify himself, which he doesn't. Also, he is stating a fact, as opposed to a personalized endorsement of a product or service.

June 18, 2017 10:47 am  #3

I have no problem with it...

But I would be curious (and we'll never know) how many listeners actually know who that is...

June 18, 2017 3:09 pm  #4

Would you prefer he said "a CTV radio station"?  If Iheartradio does indeed go under, it's easily edited out.

No.  This isn't shilling in the slightest.  In fact, as Unclefester pointed out, it's up to the listener to know who the person is behind those sonorous pipes.  To me, it's well produced and sounds great.

June 18, 2017 6:02 pm  #5

The easiest solution?  Don't listen.  I certainly don't.  Haven't since the early 60s when Bill Deegan was talkin' to "mom in the kitchen" and Gordon Sinclair was embarrassing me when he'd let go with a "damn" or a "hell" while I was listening with my parents inconveniently by my side.  [like I'd ever listen to 'RB  by myself.  Not then.  Not now.  NO way.]

An "i-heart radio station"?  What heart?

Lloyd, by the way, is a great fella.  [but I'm still not gonna tune in...likely ever.]

June 26, 2017 4:47 pm  #6

He's mentioning a made-up and nonsensical brand name. Therefore, he's shilling.

Ask yourself this: if he was on TV, doing a similar thing, and CTV News Channel was part of the I Heart brand, wouldn't it look kinda silly?

Easy to say "don't listen", there Codger. If I had a freaking dime for every time someone said that to me here, especially in my more cantankerous past, I'd have... a lot of freaking dimes.

I just detest the brandification of everything in media these day. Urgh.

June 26, 2017 6:00 pm  #7

iHeart Radio is no more nonsensical and made up that an arbitrary four letter combination that was sort a an acronym sometime in the past.

June 27, 2017 12:26 pm  #8

The only thing easier than saying "don't listen" is to simply not listen.  It's as asy as pie.  I don't mean don't listen to my suggestion.  Don't be a slave to the dial position.  Crap is crap.  Consumption of same?  Unnecessary.  I used to love CHUM FM.  But I haven't listened to it for about 40 years.  You know...around the time it began to suck.  Nowadays?  It is 101% unlistenable.  I've saved myself 40 years of self inflicted air pollution.  Why would anyone listen to shyte?

Makes no sense to me.

Ownership/Programming...ie:  The 'DUH!!!!' twins.  [not doh!!!...duh!!!]

June 27, 2017 1:50 pm  #9

As my American broadcaster friends have labelled it:  IHateRadio.

June 27, 2017 2:05 pm  #10

Or, for the many people they've let go over the years, "i No Longer Work In Radio."

June 27, 2017 10:27 pm  #11

Old Codger wrote:

The only thing easier than saying "don't listen" is to simply not listen.  It's as asy as pie.  I don't mean don't listen to my suggestion.  Don't be a slave to the dial position.  Crap is crap.  Consumption of same?  Unnecessary.  I used to love CHUM FM.  But I haven't listened to it for about 40 years.  You know...around the time it began to suck.  Nowadays?  It is 101% unlistenable.  I've saved myself 40 years of self inflicted air pollution.  Why would anyone listen to shyte?

Makes no sense to me.

Ownership/Programming...ie:  The 'DUH!!!!' twins.  [not doh!!!...duh!!!]

Sorry you got old. I'm on my way too. They're doing better than ever.

June 28, 2017 6:45 am  #12

Old Codger wrote:

I used to love CHUM FM.  But I haven't listened to it for about 40 years.  You know...around the time it began to suck  

2017 - 40 = 1977.     Death of Elvis.     I share your pain O.C. --  still not over it

June 28, 2017 7:53 am  #13

Don wrote:

iHeart Radio is no more nonsensical and made up that an arbitrary four letter combination that was sort a an acronym sometime in the past.

The CFRB call letters actually have a "commercial" element, as the "RB" stands for "Rogers Batteryless", a then-revolutionary radio receiver publicly unveiled at the CNE in 1925 (the CFRB calls were instituted two years later). So the the last two letters of the call letters are in fact shilling "Rogers Batteryless Radio Receiving Sets." As the ad says, "Just Plug In. Then Tune In!"

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 28, 2017 11:57 am  #14

Sorry Don...Doin' better doesn't mean sounding better.  The music is just completely not worth listening to.

June 30, 2017 3:37 pm  #15

I'm sure McDonalds "doing better" doesn't make them the first choice of those who actually prefer a great steak.  I guess I'm entirely more discerning than ...say...YOU...for example.