sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2017 12:12 pm  #1

And The Winner Of 106.5 FM In Toronto Is...

First Peoples Radio, which won the right to take over the frequency here, while also getting the licence for Ottawa.

The format is designed to serve the Indigenous community.

But in an unusual decision, the applicant actually wanted a cross country radio network, like the old AVR, the former occupant, had. But they gave the stations in Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver to others. The reason seems to be the CRTC wants to encourage more local programming and giving each one a market of their own to serve would presumably give them that result.

From the decision:

"The Commission is mindful that approval of FPR’s applications in Ottawa and Toronto falls short of what the applicant was seeking. However, being authorized to operate new radio stations to serve the urban Indigenous communities in these cities brings with it certain advantages and benefits...As noted by the applicant in its projections, these two radio markets are the two most profitable markets in Canada."

Now all they have to do is make it work. The newcomer (returnee?) at 106.5 will wind up with 2,600 watts, enough to block out WYRK here but likely not enough to interfere with the signal in Buffalo.

Also worthy of note is that the Indigenous community came out en masse supporting rival Wawatay Communications. But the Commission decided their business plan wasn't viable and despite all that support, they rejected their application. 

So now it's up to FPR to do what AVR couldn't. And if you think 30% CanCon is hard, consider this: the new entities must play at least 25% of their music by Indigenous artists. I admit my ignorance when I say I'm not sure how much of that type of music is available or what will count toward that number.

CRTC Gives 106.5 To First Peoples Radio

June 14, 2017 3:53 pm  #2

Re: And The Winner Of 106.5 FM In Toronto Is...

Their projected 2-share to eventually achieve profitability is certainly, we'll say....optimistic.

June 14, 2017 4:05 pm  #3

Don wrote:

Their projected 2-share to eventually achieve profitability is certainly, we'll say....optimistic.

Well, set the bar high and try to tie AM640's numbers. 

June 15, 2017 8:45 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's about time the white man stopped polluting the airwaves

cultural appropriation

June 16, 2017 8:14 pm  #5

This CBC article about the new stations focuses mostly on Ottawa, but since First Peoples is running both, I imagine there will be a lot of duplication. In any event, it contains one interesting bit of info for WYRK-FM fans and saves it for the very end of the story:  

"FPR plans to be broadcasting in Ottawa in eight to 10 months."

I would imagine the same timeline applies to the Toronto outlet.

New radio station promising broad programming for Indigenous community

June 18, 2017 5:44 am  #6

Who operated it (other than Don & Iain) the first time around?      Does anyone else harbor reservations (pun unintended) that this will succeed? 

June 18, 2017 9:06 am  #7

The first time around, what was then called CKAV was run across the country by Aboriginal Voices Radio, and it turned into something of a disaster. AVR was repeatedly cited by the CRTC for non-compliance of licence conditions and in some cases they were completely ridiculous. Its Ottawa station went off the air in 2014, and there was no apparent effort to get it back on. It was found not to be serving the Indigenous community, which was the only point of the stations themselves. And there were numerous other violations.

Eventually fed up with endless excuses, the Commission pulled all the licences, leading to a court appeal that temporarily stayed that order. But in the end, AVR lost the fight to hang on and the network went dark, leading to a call for new licencees to serve Canada's Indigenous population. Thus the decision last Wednesday. 

As to whether it will work financially or commercially, I'm not sure it matters. I doubt there's a big enough audience that will actually tune it in to make it viable. That, of course, doesn't matter to the CRTC, which I suspect wants to be seen as doing the right thing and they'll be happy as long as the newcomers are seen to be "serving the community." Whatever that means.