sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2017 12:25 am  #1

Fast Talking on the Radio

While I generally pride myself with having a thick skin, not being bothered by a lot of the things folks here complain about, there is one recent trend in radio spots that is really becoming annoying...

...excessively fast announcing of legal information

You know, stuff like the disclaimer at the end of an ad that is read rapidly.  That's somewhat tolerable if it's actually read at that speed.

But now, I'm hearing a lot of digitally sped-up speech taken to such extremes that it becomes unintelligible as a person talking.  One example is a home-lottery spot with what sounds like a chirp at the start.  The chirp is actually the licence number of the lottery being "read."

I know the advertiser wants to cram all they can in the time they are allotted, but shouldn't the talking be at least intelligible to humans?

June 14, 2017 1:53 am  #2

Re: Fast Talking on the Radio

Normally I would fight to make fast talking illegal, but maybe in this day and age the solution would be to force these companies to add a website to their radio ads where we can visit and read the "fast talk" print...and NOT in fine print either. 
Also, force these companies to refrain from fast talking the website address. 
Besides, don't these businesses WANT us to visit their websites anyway? 
A win win...no?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 14, 2017 2:20 am  #3

I've noticed that too.  It's nearly incomprehensible, much like all the small print seen in car ads on tv.  It's a CYA issue, so the consumer can't have a valid defense for not knowing the details.

interestingly, that leads me to american television.  after commercials promoting ambulance chasing for 28 seconds, the same voice needs to say "not a lawyer, paid spokesperson"  I never understood that either. 

June 14, 2017 6:22 am  #4

splunge wrote:

I've noticed that too.  It's nearly incomprehensible, much like all the small print seen in car ads on tv.  It's a CYA issue, so the consumer can't have a valid defense for not knowing the details.

interestingly, that leads me to american television.  after commercials promoting ambulance chasing for 28 seconds, the same voice needs to say "not a lawyer, paid spokesperson"  I never understood that either. 

I've wondered about that too. Did a search and found some info about FTC rules that were enacted in 2009 that may explain why this is being done. 
http://communications-media.lawyers.com/telecommunications-law/celebrity-ads-be-careful-what-you-say-and-tweet.html