sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2017 9:36 pm  #1

Blais Says Nay, Calls It A Day As CRTC Chair

The chair of the CRTC, Jean-Pierre Blais, says he's done and won't apply to be re-appointed when his term ends this Saturday.

Love him or hate him,  Blais definitely tried to change the stodgy old Commission and give it more of a consumer-friendly twist. Whether he will go down in a blaze of glory (or should that be Blais of glory?) history will tell. There's been no word on who might replace him. 

CRTC chairman says he did not reapply for position

June 12, 2017 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Blais Says Nay, Calls It A Day As CRTC Chair

No toadies need apply.  We need an even tougher guy running that boat-missing organization.  The fools have run the radio/TV thing into the ground between their greed and lack of talent, know how and programming ability.  Tiny talent Time was supposed to be a show...not a media-related job description...OR excuse.  They gave these clowns way too many chances and far too many outlets...and then protected them from real competition.

Toughen the CRTC up.  And then 'realistify' them.  WE, as Canadians, desrve way more than we're getting from the current license holders.  De-Lice-ense them.

I'll do it.  Justin...call me,

June 13, 2017 8:12 am  #3

Old Codger wrote:

WE, as Canadians, deserve way more than we're getting from the current license holders.  De-Lice-ense them.      I'll do it.  Justin...call me

Despite his baffling endorsement of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds album, Mr. Codger has exhibited unwavering enthusiasm for radio in this forum over the past number of years and would make an excellent chair-person, so let's all get behind his campaign . . . CODGER     CODGER  CODGER  CODGER  

Last edited by geo (June 13, 2017 8:13 am)

June 13, 2017 9:26 am  #4

OC Hang On to Your Ego as Frank Black sang on this Pet Sounds outtake:

Last edited by Fitz (June 13, 2017 9:26 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 13, 2017 9:44 am  #5

Can't speak for O.C., but my feeling about J-P Blais is that he at least made some attempt at making the CRTC more consumer friendly, as opposed to always kowtowing to the big broadcasters.

But as often happens, his efforts never went quite far enough, leaving loopholes you could drive a semi through and Rogers and Bell (especially the latter) took great delight in thwarting almost anything he tried to do on the public's side.

I think the worst mistake the CRTC ever made was to allow those who produce the programming almost sole control of its distribution, as well as the way that distribution is done (Internet, phone, cable, satellite etc.). So you get a few companies in charge of not only buying or making the shows, but having a tight reign of how it gets to that audience. That's as close to the definition of monopoly as you can get, and it doesn't take much to see why it might lead to abuses of their customer base.

I honestly don't believe whoever gets appointed will do a single thing to challenge the status quo, since many of these behind-the-scenes types waiting in the wings used to work for either Bell or Rogers. And they may owe a lot of their friends some favours. I hope I'm wrong, but history shows I'm probably not.    

June 14, 2017 8:42 pm  #6

Well, you gotta give him one thing - Blais went out with a bang. His last address as CRTC chair came at the Banff World Media Festival, where he gave it to the broadcasting behemoths of Canada with both guns firing.

My favourite parts from the story by veteran TV scribe (and former SOWNY contributor) Bill Brioux:

"Blais made a point of saying “CBC must be accountable to the public” and hinted the public broadcaster should look to the funds realized from their sale of their stake in Sirius XM — $58.8M by his estimation — next time they go looking for revenues."

And:

"Blais took a parting shot at Canadian media companies, accusing them of living inside their own “echo chambers.” He wondered what broadcasters had to show taxpayers and subscribers for the $20B in revenues raked in over the past five years."

I'm sure the assembled media multitude were less than thrilled by his words and that absolutely nothing will change when the next guy or gal comes in.

CRTC chair goes out with guns Blais-ing at Banff

June 15, 2017 9:17 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

the story by veteran TV scribe (and former SOWNY contributor) Bill Brioux    

Was the former SOWNY contributor not Toronto Star columnist Bill Burrill (or is name similarity a coincidence)?

June 15, 2017 1:05 pm  #8

Fitz wrote:

OC Hang On to Your Ego

Looks like I'll have to.  Justin hasn't called.  I'd roast these delinquent license holders and cable/Satellite providers to beyond 'well' done.  Thieves!!!  Misusing a license should be considered punishable by large fines and followed by the loss of any license violated a 2nd time.  We need more independent broadcasters and  FAR less 'big brother [as controlled by the electronic media] bullshit'.

Last edited by Old Codger (June 15, 2017 1:43 pm)