sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2017 10:29 pm  #1

CRTC To Award 106.5 FM In Toronto This Week

Who will land the now vacant 106.5 FM spot in Toronto? The answer will be revealed at the CRTC this coming week, as the long awaited decision about who gets that valuable frequency is finally unveiled.

The only sure thing is that it will go to an Indigenous format to replace Aboriginal Voices Radio, which lost its licence after numerous run-ins with the Commission last year.

Of the two entities vying for the spot here, one is proposing a two-station network in Toronto and Ottawa, while the other is hoping to put back what was lost, by taking frequencies in Ontario, as well as Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

See all the candidates here.

Last edited by RadioActive (June 11, 2017 12:15 am)

June 11, 2017 12:10 am  #2

Re: CRTC To Award 106.5 FM In Toronto This Week

Anyone willing to take bets on how long it will be (granted, it could be years) from the time those stations sign-on to when we'll be able to hear WYRK over the air again?

June 11, 2017 6:08 am  #3

Don & Iain (not necessarily in that order) lost interest?

June 11, 2017 9:12 pm  #4

Peter the K wrote:

Anyone willing to take bets on how long it will be (granted, it could be years) from the time those stations sign-on to when we'll be able to hear WYRK over the air again?

The old AVR transmitters are still around, which means there may not be a lot of time lost getting things up and running again, since it would seem there's no issue with the technical side of things. So no matter who gets the nod, they may be on earlier than you think. 

Of course, I thought that about all oldies Grapevine Radio, which was supposed to use the old CHSC 1220 TX and facilities. They were granted the licence in April 2016 and still, no one's heard anything through the Grapevine. (To be fair, they have until April 2018 to sign on, but I've heard nothing about them at all for over a year.)

Could that happen to whoever gets the new 106.5? I guess we'll find out sometime soon. In the meantime, enjoy WYRK O-T-A as long as it lasts.