sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 5, 2017 7:48 pm  #1

CHFI Early Stereo Demo

A bit of a historical artifact. Have just uploaded a short clip when CHFI FM was testing their stereo broadcast in 1961 ( I think ). There's two short ads for CHCH and CFTO TV before the stereo demo. Plus I have a very short clip of the pre-rock WBEN FM and a clip of the late Joe Galuski on WGR AM from Sept 1984.

All uploaded to:
Radio Miscellany
The final clip in this section:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 6, 2017 10:03 am  #2

Re: CHFI Early Stereo Demo

I remember those demos. They were exciting at the time! Reminds me of a cartoon in (I think) Popular Electronics. The executives of a radio station, WXYZ-FM or something like that displayed up on the board room wall, sitting around having a meeting. The caption was..."OK, it's settled! As soon as our mono stylus wears out, we'll go stereo!" Big time radio in those days. Wish I could find that cartoon today. I think in my radio days in the 70s I experienced similar thinking, more than once.  Jax. 

June 6, 2017 9:36 pm  #3

After hearing the CHFI clip, I'm wondering if that isn't from a stereo test that CHFI did with CHCH.  I worked there in late 71 and was told that a demonstration of stereo was conducted by running one channel on CHFI and the other channel CHCH, while a camera was locked off on the record, playing on the turntable.  People were instructed to place the radio a few feet to one side of the tv.  The reason I'm thinking this is because I believe the voice that does the CHCH promo is the late Gerry Herbert. Gerry was still working there when i joined the station along with Todd Russell.  Their two first names became the name of Rick Moranis' character, Gerry Todd. Rick also worked there at that time.

June 6, 2017 10:25 pm  #4

Citypulse News 15 wrote:

After hearing the CHFI clip, I'm wondering if that isn't from a stereo test that CHFI did with CHCH.  I worked there in late 71 and was told that a demonstration of stereo was conducted by running one channel on CHFI and the other channel CHCH, while a camera was locked off on the record, playing on the turntable.  People were instructed to place the radio a few feet to one side of the tv.  The reason I'm thinking this is because I believe the voice that does the CHCH promo is the late Gerry Herbert. Gerry was still working there when i joined the station along with Todd Russell.  Their two first names became the name of Rick Moranis' character, Gerry Todd. Rick also worked there at that time.

I don't think so but I am not sure as I did not do the recording. I don't remember the source of the tape but I might have picked it up at a garage sale.  There's a short CHCH TV ad on the clip ( from the same tape) and it references a kids TV show called Randy Dandy which I just looked up and that show ran from 1962 to 66. The music sounds more 1962 than 1971 and only CHFI is mentioned during the demo.I just Shazam'd the music and it is is it "Baubles,Bangles and Beads" by Dean Elliot and His Orchestra which  according to the source I just checked has a release date of 1962.

Last edited by Fitz (June 6, 2017 10:30 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

June 7, 2017 7:48 am  #5

You know, the more I think about this, the more I remember a stereo demo in the late 50s where CHCH was one channel and an AM station was the other. Can't remember which AM station though. CHML perhaps? Anyone remember that?

June 7, 2017 8:50 am  #6

Citypulse News 15 wrote:

I don't believe you meant the demo was done in 1971 but the the fact is that CHCH TV was not mentioned during this demo.and it seems that a radio only stereo set up was ready by this time. There well may have been earlier tests.

Cool Airchecks and More: