sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2017 11:30 pm  #1

Scott Pelley Out As CBS News Anchor

A U.S. TV network news anchorman job doesn't have the same cachet as it did in the days of Walter Cronkite, but it's still one of the most prestigious positions in broadcasting, primarily because there's only three real slots - and they rarely come open. (I well recall how disappointed John "J.D." Roberts was when he didn't get the gig.)

But now one of the big three has been ousted in a PR nightmare for CBS, which wanted to keep the entire thing under wraps. Scott Pelley, its longtime 6:30 PM anchor, has been suddenly fired, although he'll continue to be a mainstay at 60 Minutes. The question about who will replace him has several candidates in the running, possibly including a still-under-contract-at-CNN Anderson Cooper. 

While it's highly unusual for a network to change anchors in mid-stream, the Eye Network has been last in the ratings for years. And it's ironic that the news division that gave us Uncle Walter and Edward R. Murrow is throwing out the only anchor that didn't subscribe to the "entertainment" oriented type news the other two seem committed to. A sign of the times, I suppose, as the once stalwart nightly network news shows age in demos and sink in the ratings.  

It's believed Pelley may be allowed back for a short stint to say his goodbyes, but he'll be gone not long after. 

June 2, 2017 8:03 am  #2

Re: Scott Pelley Out As CBS News Anchor

They should give it to Roger Mudd. Anybody but that damned Dan Rather. If CBS hadn't forced me out in '81 I'd still be in the anchor chair!

Walter Cronkite

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 2, 2017 8:25 am  #3

I was reading some of the names to be considered.  For my money the most credible CNN host; who would make a GREAT anchor for CBS, is Jake Tapper.  He never pulls back. He is not afraid to take anyone on and tells it like it is; in an interview situation.

Last edited by John D (June 2, 2017 8:26 am)

June 2, 2017 8:34 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

A U.S. TV network news anchorman job doesn't have the same cachet as it did in the days of Walter Cronkite, but it's still one of the most prestigious positions in broadcasting, primarily because there's only three real slots - and they rarely come open. (I well recall how disappointed John "J.D." Roberts was when he didn't get the gig.)

But now one of the big three has been ousted in a PR nightmare for CBS, which wanted to keep the entire thing under wraps. Scott Pelley, its longtime 6:30 PM anchor, has been suddenly fired, although he'll continue to be a mainstay at 60 Minutes. The question about who will replace him has several candidates in the running, possibly including a still-under-contract-at-CNN Anderson Cooper. 

While it's highly unusual for a network to change anchors in mid-stream, the Eye Network has been last in the ratings for years. And it's ironic that the news division that gave us Uncle Walter and Edward R. Murrow is throwing out the only anchor that didn't subscribe to the "entertainment" oriented type news the other two seem committed to. A sign of the times, I suppose, as the once stalwart nightly network news shows age in demos and sink in the ratings.  

It's believed Pelley may be allowed back for a short stint to say his goodbyes, but he'll be gone not long after. 

Sorry to see Pelley go. He had an old-style, dignified approach, just reporting the news and not relying on sensationalism. I tend to watch Lester Holt when I tune in to the evening news but I've been an NBC man since the days of John Chancellor.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (June 2, 2017 8:34 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 2, 2017 6:18 pm  #5

John D wrote:

I was reading some of the names to be considered.  For my money the most credible CNN host; who would make a GREAT anchor for CBS, is Jake Tapper.  He never pulls back. He is not afraid to take anyone on and tells it like it is; in an interview situation.

Possibly.  I tend to agree that Jake has grown a pair SINCE the whole election process began to wind down.  It was sadly...sorry THEY...were sadly missing a year ago.  I don't think Jake thinks well on his feet.  He's still a writer who needs time to create his best efforts.  I also find that he misses the next obvious question by NOT listening to the person he's talking to.  I think he needs more time in the trenches...learning the craft John.

June 16, 2017 7:52 pm  #6

Friday night (June 16th) was Pelley's final broadcast as anchor of the CBS Evening News. Here's how he signed off, ending with a takeoff from former CBS legend Edward R. Murrow: "Goodbye and Good Luck."

You can watch it here:

Scott Pelley signs off from the "CBS Evening News"

Scott Pelley Signs Off ‘CBS Evening News: ‘Goodbye, and – Good Luck’

May 26, 2019 9:31 pm  #7

Well, well, well. Two years after his sudden departure, Scott Pelley reveals why he really was let go as anchor of The CBS Evening News. (However he couldn't have burned too many bridges - he's still on the network's "60 Minutes.")

CBS News' Scott Pelley: I Was Fired For Complaining About 'Hostile' Workplace

May 27, 2019 9:24 pm  #8

When I saw this thread pop back up again, I thought, "Wait, what? They fired him again?