sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2017 3:25 pm  #1

Next-gen DVR for cord cutters

Nuvyyo, the makers of the Tablo DVR for cord cutters who want to record free, over-the-air TV programming from their digital antennas, is today launching their next-generation device, the Tablo DUAL. As you might guess by the name, the new DVR supports two tuners, so you can record from two TV channels at the same time. The new hardware is also housed in a 20 percent smaller form factor than its predecessor, and adds 64 GB (or roughly 40 hours) of onboard HD recording storage.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/31/tablo-launches-its-next-gen-dvr-for-cord-cutters-the-more-compact-tablo-dual/

June 1, 2017 5:11 pm  #2

Re: Next-gen DVR for cord cutters

Nothing beats a Nextbox 3.0 with Rogers. Nothing. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 1, 2017 8:49 pm  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

Nothing beats a Nextbox 3.0 with Rogers. Nothing. 

Yay! I just won a bet. 

June 1, 2017 10:26 pm  #4

Johnny B wrote:

Nuvyyo, the makers of the Tablo DVR for cord cutters who want to record free, over-the-air TV programming from their digital antennas, is today launching their next-generation device, the Tablo DUAL. As you might guess by the name, the new DVR supports two tuners, so you can record from two TV channels at the same time. The new hardware is also housed in a 20 percent smaller form factor than its predecessor, and adds 64 GB (or roughly 40 hours) of onboard HD recording storage.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/31/tablo-launches-its-next-gen-dvr-for-cord-cutters-the-more-compact-tablo-dual/

The Tablo looks interesting, but there's at least one other OTA DVR on the market and while it doesn't have the streaming capabilities, it's a marvelous machine for those who just want antenna TV recordings. It's the ultra compact DVR+, (aka the DVR Plus) made by Channel Master. The thing is the size of about a large dinner plate, but it does an incredible amount. 

DVR+

There are obvious differences between the two machines, but one thing I like about the CM model is that the guide, which is used to set the recordings for the shows, is completely and totally free in perpetuity, with no added $5 a month charge. In fact, once you buy the unit (and likely the 1TB hard drive that comes with it or can be purchased at any computer store and the web dongle) that's it. There are no other charges. Ever.

I have two of them and they're terrific. Customer support has been excellent as well, which is certainly a bonus. And no, I have no connection with Channel Master besides being a customer.