sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2017 12:37 pm  #1

The Last Thing You'd Expect To Hear On CFRB: A Salute To The Big 8

The last place you'd expect to hear a CKLW shotgun jingle ring out is over the airwaves of CFRB. But there it was on Friday, after Jerry Agar welcomed pop culture historian Ed Conroy (of Retrontario fame) to talk about Canada's influence on Motown. 

There was nothing really new for those of us who know the story about the legendary Big 8, Rosalie Trombley and that amazing 'LW signal, although the audio from the teen dance show "Swinging Time" on what was once called CKLW-TV's Channel 9 was fun to hear.

It's rare to find any radio station pay much attention to its own past, let alone that of anyone else. But if you ever wondered what those great jingles might sound like on 1010, Friday around 11:38 AM was probably your only chance to find out. 

The Classic CKLW Page

May 26, 2017 12:54 pm  #2

Re: The Last Thing You'd Expect To Hear On CFRB: A Salute To The Big 8

Speaking of radio history, I just noticed that tomorrow, May 27th, is the 60th anniversary of the day Elvis Presley's "All Shook Up" launched CHUM-AM into the rock and roll era.

It would be nice if say, RB's Ted Woloshyn were to do a segment on his Saturday afternoon show marking the occasion, but Bell has spent a lot of time trying to distance itself from the Goliath that was the Allan Waters-owned station, and I'm guessing they're more likely to ignore it. 

May 26, 2017 3:40 pm  #3

Sort of..  but the Sunday PM show I do with Howard is simulcast on CKLW so I do Id's for them all the time, as well as the other stations.  

RadioActive wrote:

The last place you'd expect to hear a CKLW shotgun jingle ring out is over the airwaves of CFRB. But there it was on Friday, after Jerry Agar welcomed pop culture historian Ed Conroy (of Retrontario fame) to talk about Canada's influence on Motown. 

There was nothing really new for those of us who know the story about the legendary Big 8, Rosalie Trombley and that amazing 'LW signal, although the audio from the teen dance show "Swinging Time" on what was once called CKLW-TV's Channel 9 was fun to hear.

It's rare to find any radio station pay much attention to its own past, let alone that of anyone else. But if you ever wondered what those great jingles might sound like on 1010, Friday around 11:38 AM was probably your only chance to find out. 

The Classic CKLW Page

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 26, 2017 4:38 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of radio history, I just noticed that tomorrow, May 27th, is the 60th anniversary of the day Elvis Presley's "All Shook Up" launched CHUM-AM into the rock and roll era.

It would be nice if say, RB's Ted Woloshyn were to do a segment on his Saturday afternoon show marking the occasion, but Bell has spent a lot of time trying to distance itself from the Goliath that was the Allan Waters-owned station, and I'm guessing they're more likely to ignore it. 

Just noticed this from sometime SOWNY poster Doug Thompson on the CHUM anniversary:

CHUM Radio Rocked The Nation... 60 Years Ago This Week