sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2015 12:06 am  #1

Viewer Alert: How TV Covered The Most Famous Shooting In History

This actually aired last November, but WNED in Buffalo is showing it on Tuesday night at 8 PM. It's a fascinating documentary called "JFK: One PM Central Standard Time"  and it's about how TV - and most especially CBS's Walter Cronkite - covered the minute-by-minute developments in the assassination of President Kennedy and the split second choices he had to make on air during coverage of an event that brought TV news into the modern era.

There are a number of things we've all seen before, along with some new revelations I didn't know about - including the amazing reason why the first bulletin aired on CBS-TV was audio only. There are also stories about the competitive pressures to be first (and right), and the whirlwind uncertainty about what had really happened in the initial hour after the shots rang out in Dallas.

I well remember being in a TV newsroom on 9/11 and how crazy it was - and we had the benefit of modern technology. I can only imagine what it was like back then, in the pre-cell phone, pre-Internet days, although the show manages to paint that picture very well. Interviews include vets like Marvin Kalb, Bob Schieffer and of course, Dan Rather. It's narrated by George Clooney.

This story has been told a zillion times, but I can't recall it ever being recounted from quite this angle. If you're a fan of TV history or the inside baseball on one of broadcast journalism's finest moments, this is a great hour.  It can also be seen online right now on the PBS website (I assume you need a VPN to watch it in Canada) at this link.

August 4, 2015 8:52 am  #2

Re: Viewer Alert: How TV Covered The Most Famous Shooting In History

RadioActive wrote:

- including the amazing reason why the first bulletin aired on CBS-TV was audio only.

Up to this point, CBS did not have a dedicated studio crew and facilities for The CBS Evening News until something like 5pm...  Keep in mind, that at this time the majority of daytime TV was live... the afternoon soaps like "Search for Tomorrow", "Edge of Night" and "As the World Turns"  etc.  were still produced live to air in the early 60s. It was not until later on around 67 or 68 that the shows would be pre-recorded on videotape.... (despite the fact that videotape was available as a viable broadcasting tool for the previous 10 years after the introduction of the Ampex Qaud analog tape format). 

CBS scrambled to get facilities and crew organized...   the camera had to be moved from one of the production studios to the CBS newsroom....  One of the soaps was live and was eventually interuppted for the coverage.

The Kennedy assasination ended up being the driving impetus at CBS for dedicated technical facilities and crew for Cronkite's Evening News.The cameras and facilites were always available for future news bulletins.

August 4, 2015 9:07 am  #3

The special notes one other problem - the bulky and decidely not really portable cameras they had back then had vacuum tubes in them and they took a while to warm up and sync everything with the control room. The reason CBS went with a "Bulletin" card only on screen was apparently because, even after they got the camera in place, it simply wasn't ready to go when the newspeople were. Yet they were trying desperately to beat NBC and ABC to the news, so Cronkite went into the radio booth to deliver his now infamous first report about 'shots being fired at the motorcade in Dallas.' But no one actually saw him do it.

Given our technology now, it's hard to fathom how truly clunky things were back then. 

August 4, 2015 11:40 am  #4

I had an appointment to see Dave Sennett, PD at WKBW Radio, the afternoon Kennedy was shot. 'KB ran their first bulletin as I was getting ready to go. Instead, the next three or four days were spent glued to the TV set. The coverage on all three American networks was fascinating. Thanks for this tip, RA.

August 4, 2015 1:17 pm  #5

It's amazing the effect this one tragedy had on all kinds of things you wouldn't normally think about, including another incident involving CBS. In "The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book" by Vince Waldron (a must read for fans of that classic show) there's a revelatory tale about the day Kennedy was shot and the outcome it had on the episode being filmed that week.

For those familiar with the show, generally acclaimed as one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, it's the one about Rob and Laura Petrie holding a birthday party for their son, Ritchie, in their house and how it spirals out of control with all the invited kids trashing the place. It was 78th episode, called "Happy Birthday and Too Many More." The Kennedy nightmare began just as they were starting dress rehearsals, and Waldron draws the eerie scene of the cast sitting around with party hats and noisemakers, while they're watching coverage of the shooting on set over a TV screen. They had to get the thing filmed that week, but as you can imagine, no one felt like doing anything, let alone trying to be funny. Still, the show must go on as the old cliche goes, and they somehow muddled through it.

"We just sat around all week in a stupor," Van Dyke is quoted as saying.  It was the only episode of the show that used canned laughter, something creator Carl Reiner absolutely abhorred, but he knew there was no point in trying to get laughs out of a stunned and grief-stricken live studio audience. To this day, the surviving cast and crew call it the worst episode of the Dick Van Dyke show ever made and most refuse to even talk about it.

And all because JFK had been shot a very long way away in Dallas, leading to a fallout in Hollywood that most of us would never even know about until many years later.

Last edited by RadioActive (August 4, 2015 1:19 pm)

August 4, 2015 3:18 pm  #6

The JFK assassination also had an effect on another sitcom, Gilligan's Island:

http://dying.about.com/b/2013/11/26/jfks-connection-to-gilligans-island.htm

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 4, 2015 9:30 pm  #7

And you can see the news bulletin here:
It happens at the 10:00 minute mark.

Last edited by Peter the K (August 4, 2015 9:31 pm)

August 4, 2015 9:47 pm  #8

Not sure if this story was in the doc but I remember reading the story of what happened between AP and UPI.  The 2 wire service reporters were riding in the motorcade and when they heard the shots, the reporter who was closest to the car phone dialed his office and started dictating a bulletin.  Then instead of handing over the phone to his rival, he asked the desk to read it back to him.  The other guy, who was likely in the back seat, went nuts and started hitting him on the head and demanding the phone.  That's how 1 service beat the other on the bulletin.  The good old days of competitive media...

August 4, 2015 11:49 pm  #9

@dieter They actually dramatized that moment in the doc, although they just showed the other reporter grabbing for the phone. I don't recall any physical violence being depicted. Still, that shows the competitive spirit of news wire reporters back in the day. 

@Dale Patterson Thanks for that link. I'd never heard that story before and as you know, I love that kind of inside TV history stuff.

@Peter the K That footage is fascinating for a number of reasons. But my favourite is that, after breathlessly announcing that someone had just shot at the President of the United States, they went back to regular programming - not once, but twice! That's simply unimaginable today, when every network would stay on air waiting for a single morsel of information to update the story. Can you imagine, "Someone just bombed the White House, wounding the president. More when we know how bad it is. Now back to America's Got Talent!" I suppose that's how things were done back in the days when live TV wasn't quite as easy to put on, but it just seems unthinkable in the age of 24 hour news.