sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2017 11:35 am  #1

Is AM 640’s Morning Drive Hurting The Shows That Follow It?

I admit this is total speculation and I could be completely wrong, but I think it’s a question worth asking: is the new AM 640 morning effort hurting Mike Stafford’s show, which follows it?

I wondered about this when I heard Stafford on Wednesday hinting (and in some cases coming right out and admitting) that he wasn’t getting very much phone action. This isn’t the first time since the newcomers arrived that I’ve heard him say this. In fact, over the past few months, during the time I’ve tuned in, he’s mentioned a lack of callers more often than before. But that never seemed to be as big an issue when Oakley was doing mornings.

Many here believe – myself included - that Stafford is the best host on 640. So does that mean the topics aren’t grabbing people, potential listeners are all at work, everyone was out enjoying a 28 degree day or they simply have nothing to say on what’s being discussed? My guess – and to repeat, it’s just that – is that perhaps  because the morning show may be causing tune-out, many just aren’t coming back once the less than dynamic duo in the AM slot are done for the day.

Fewer listeners to them might translate to fewer holdovers for Stafford and it could be hurting his show. I suppose we won’t know anything until the numbers finally come out. But if 640 slips below the average 2.0 it’s been getting (not that great to begin with) the powers that be at Corus will surely have some big decisions to make. The other question is how long will they wait?

I’m not too sure if he even wants it, but perhaps the answer would be to give Stafford the morning show (along with a commensurate boost in salary), which is likely what they should have done in the first place.

I know he occasionally visits here so I hope he understands I’m not disparaging his show, which I still enjoy, just wondering if the lead-in is proving a problem.

May 17, 2017 12:59 pm  #2

Re: Is AM 640’s Morning Drive Hurting The Shows That Follow It?

I admit I enjoy Stafford -- not so much the incessant interruptions of his teen interns and assortment of granola-crunching twinks.  BUT, their morning show is simply a disaster. The chemistry is forced and just doesn't work. They are far too serious and rarely let their guard down. And they always need to involve themselves with a topic.

That said, the old adage of the morning show sets up the rest of the broadcasting day might be relegated to the past. People can flip the channel at the touch of a button. I'm not seeing a home-locked senior, confined to a bed, incapable of turning the knob. But, then again, 640 isn't really targeting older people.

I doubt Stafford wants mornings and Oakley had his time. This has always been 640's trouble - they don't have on-air talent in the bullpen ready to go. Frankly, I'm surprised Corus is shelling out the bucks for such an expensive format when they can flip to an unattended jukebox.

May 17, 2017 1:23 pm  #3

Re: Is AM 640’s Morning Drive Hurting The Shows That Follow It?

cGrant wrote:

Frankly, I'm surprised Corus is shelling out the bucks for such an expensive format when they can flip to an unattended jukebox.

While a music format is indeed cheaper to run, just VT'ing everything won't work either.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.