sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2017 3:44 pm  #1

Why Antenna Users Need To Rescan To Get Buffalo’s Channel 4 (Pt. II)

I just spoke to John Carroll, the chief engineer for WIVB-TV. He had some interesting things to say about the coming changes discussed in a previous thread

First and most important for those who watch Channel 4 over the air, when the station moves its signal onto the WNLO stick, he predicts reception in Toronto will almost certainly improve. Channel 23's antenna is a lot farther north in Buffalo, one of the reasons the CW affiliate is one of the most reliable signals into the GTA. And since there won't be any power reduction as a result of the move, he figures those of us in the Great White North will almost certainly see the signal less likely to fade out during bad weather and other atmospheric issues. 

Despite having two HD signals coming off the stick, there are no plans to remove the SD feed of Bounce TV from channel 23.2. 

As to when this is going to happen, he's not quite so sure. They have to wait until the money they got for agreeing to give up their current frequency in the unpacking changes hands, and then there are two three month safeguards built in to ensure everything works before the plug is pulled. But he predicts it should happen within the next year, which could mean for those of us with antennas, the new CBS season that starts in September will come in here a lot better. 

He couldn't speak for when the other affected Buffalo stations will make their moves, but he says they likely won't all go at once. Which means you'll have to do a number of re-scans on your tuner as each one shifts to a new assigned frequency. But he says beyond that, it's a small price to pay for what should be vastly improved reception.  

All in all, good news and I hope it happens sooner than later. I appreciate Mr. Carroll giving me a few minutes of his valuable time.  

May 12, 2017 4:44 pm  #2

Re: Why Antenna Users Need To Rescan To Get Buffalo’s Channel 4 (Pt. II)

Interesting but will both WIVB and WNLO be in 1080p on 23?  Can they do that with ATSC 1?

May 12, 2017 5:03 pm  #3

Re: Why Antenna Users Need To Rescan To Get Buffalo’s Channel 4 (Pt. II)

I didn't get around to asking him that specifically, but he did say you shouldn't notice any difference in quality when the switch is made. I did wonder about signal loss with two HD signals coming off of one antenna, but he was adamant that technology has improved so much that it won't be an issue.

Don't know if that answers your question but that's what he said.