sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2017 7:27 pm  #1

CFRB Host’s Multiple F-Bombs On Live TV Leads To Calls For Firing

Desmond Cole, who hosts a Sunday afternoon talk show on CFRB, took to the mic on Thursday in a very different way, crashing a Toronto Police Services Board meeting, making a statement against retaining carding data, giving a classic 60s “black power” raised fist salute, and refusing to leave before later dropping at least three F-bombs live on CP24, which was covering the meeting.

“F*** the rules of procedure,” the activist repeatedly responded, when told he was out of order, had been allowed to have his say and was asked to sit down or leave. Eventually, the meeting was adjourned, preventing other deputants from speaking, with an angry Cole aghast that police had been called in to get him out.

Cole was well aware that he was live on Bell’s co-owned CP24, being repeatedly warned by its reporter as the string of profanities continued. And while city officials who were there refused to say much about the incident, there was no shortage of reaction on CFRB, the radio outlet Cole calls home every 7th day.

Some callers demanded his immediate dismissal, with Rush host Ryan Doyle agreeing it was inappropriate but that what happened wasn’t serous enough to merit getting the axe. But even CFRA morning show front man and former RB morning host Bill Carroll later expressed his opinion that what Cole did – for whatever reason – was grounds for firing from his weekly program, since he was well aware the mics and cameras were live. 

I never listen to Cole’s show. It's not that he doesn't make some good points at times. But I find his opinions are too predictable and his topics aren’t varied enough for me, with his endless insistence on talking only about race to the exclusion of almost all other equally important issues. But I’m curious to know if anyone here thinks what he did is grounds for losing his Sunday gig.

Carding protest derails Toronto police board meeting

April 20, 2017 8:11 pm  #2

Re: CFRB Host’s Multiple F-Bombs On Live TV Leads To Calls For Firing

I liked him at first, felt he made some good points when he was on air at Global. But yeah, much like Black Lives Matter, he's just become way too self-righteous and self-important.  He was basically holding the board meeting hostage today and refusing to leave until he got his way. Stupid, is doing more to hurt his cause than to help it.

April 20, 2017 11:18 pm  #3

I listened to Desmond Cole last Sunday for his entire hour. It is safe to say I found some of his comments inflamatory. He spent a good half hour pounding the piss out of Sean Spicer and his Hitler -- poison gas comment...over and over the same territory he went. And then he repeated it again. And while I am certain he is paid to be a somewhat controversial speaker at Newstalk1010 he seems to me to out of control and disrespectful. 

If you are asking me....he gone...

Last edited by unclefester (April 21, 2017 5:48 pm)

April 21, 2017 12:50 am  #4

Charlie wrote:

Cole is a race-hustler .. does nothing but further the divide between blacks and everybody else.  It's his meal ticket.  He does nothing to unify, only to create animosity that wasn't there to begin with ..

TomTV wrote:

.. he's just become way too self-righteous and self-important .. is doing more to hurt his cause than to help it.

Couldn't agree more.

Mr. Cole has his agenda & will badger his guests incessantly to attempt to get the guest to agree with him.  Way to rude, aggressive & self-righteous.  He hurts, not helps, his cause.

Last edited by g121 (April 21, 2017 12:50 am)

April 21, 2017 7:47 am  #5

As there has been considerable chatter in this forum over the years regarding news outlets (both broadcast + print) that have a definite left or right bias, it will be interesting to see who reports this.    

CFRB?  AM 640?   National Post will likely not be afraid to go with it.   Toronto Star is bound to be uncomfortable  

May 1, 2017 8:04 pm  #6

So, to summarise.

Elderly white men are outraged at a coloured's attempt to buck the system.

Got it, thanks.

May 1, 2017 9:52 pm  #7

Whoa now pardner.  I'm not outraged at all.  This shitstem needs some BIG  buckin'.  I'm with HIM.  Desmond Cole speaks for me.  There are good cops.  There are BAD cops.  When the good cops won't take care of their own 'problem' they all become BAD cops immediately.  No exceptions.  Not even one.

Last edited by Old Codger (May 1, 2017 9:55 pm)

May 4, 2017 9:25 am  #8

Desmond Cole has just announced on Facebook that he is leaving The Star.
https://www.facebook.com/desmond.cole.589/posts/10158584000290557

May 5, 2017 3:24 pm  #9

And now that he's gone, their Pubic Editor has this to say:

Journalists shouldn’t become the news

May 6, 2017 6:12 am  #10

Ms. English goes on to state that Cole was not fired by the Star and that he was a freelance columnist who chose to not continue (with the Star).       Can NOW Magazine be far behind?      

May 6, 2017 9:27 am  #11

Blatch:  "What is the state of journalism? Warning, this will take longer than a tweet"

"To me, it is Cole’s “I choose activism for black liberation” column on his blog. It says so much, both about the state of journalism and the world, that it is downright depressing."

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 6, 2017 1:03 pm  #12

ig wrote:

. . . says so much, both about the state of journalism and the world, that it is downright depressing 

Also downright depressing is that the Star will now revert back to focus on daily-dumping on Scarborough subway

May 6, 2017 2:18 pm  #13

ig wrote:

Blatch:  "It says so much, both about the state of journalism and the world, that it is downright depressing."

If it depresses Blatch it must be a flicker of hope for the world.