sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2017 11:57 am  #1

Magnificent Radio Aircheck Site Now Free On The Web

I just noticed that one of the original and best radio aircheck sites on the web, reelradio.com, is now offering up its astounding line-up of vintage rock radio recordings for free - although you do have to register before you can access anything. Reelradio is one of the first places I went to way back in the 90s when I got my first desktop and since 1991, it's been showcasing the very best talent that ever turned on a microphone. 

It had been subscription based for many years but has now removed those restrictions, albeit in the hope users will make a minimum $10 donation to help cover the costs. But there's no money needed to listen. 

This isn't to take anything away from its equally absolutely incredible Canadian counterpart, rockradioscrapbook.ca. SOWNY originator Dale R. Patterson has been running that site since 1996 and he's also got hundreds of amazing checks archived there. His site has always been free, and Dale has been shouldering the cost for keeping it going all these years because it's a labour of love. And it shows in the work he puts in. 

It's nice to have both back on the free side of things and there's a lot of good listening on both of them. 

reelradio.com

rockradioscrapbook.ca 

April 30, 2017 12:07 pm  #2

Re: Magnificent Radio Aircheck Site Now Free On The Web

Good!  The way it should have been all along.  I'm not a big proponent of paywalls.  So I'm glad they finally came around.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

April 30, 2017 8:18 pm  #3

Re: Magnificent Radio Aircheck Site Now Free On The Web

Thanks for the heads up. I have registered and am listening right now to an air check of WVBF FM ( from a suburb of Boston) from 1974.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/