sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2015 1:37 pm  #1

CBC's Robert Fisher retires after 49 years in broadcasting

(Via CBC)

CBC's Robert Fisher will retire today after 49 years, bringing to an end a remarkable career in broadcasting distinguished by his outstanding coverage of Ontario politics over a period that spanned eight premiers.

Today Fisher concludes a journalism career that began in 1967 at a 1,000-watt radio station in Oakville, Ont. From there Fisher would go on to work in both radio and television at the CBC and eventually earn a job as Global's Queen's Park correspondent.

"There is no one more knowledgeable when it comes to Queen's Park politics than Robert Fisher," said Metro Morning host Matt Galloway in an interview Thursday looking back on Fisher's career. "He is one of the classiest people in broadcasting."

A versatile journalist distinguished by his humble approach, rapier wit and flair for the written word, Fisher's work spanned radio, television and column writing for CBC.ca. His insight played a pivotal role in CBC's political coverage of Queen's Park.

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 26, 2015 12:29 am  #2

Re: CBC's Robert Fisher retires after 49 years in broadcasting

A quick dissenting opinion on how classy Robert Fisher is, based admittedly on one incident.  Way back in the early 90's I was organizing Toronto events for the CAJ.  We invited Robert Fisher to be on one of our panels.  He never showed up, never called, never apologized.  I don't respect anyone who pulls stunts like that.  But again, perhaps this was a very isolated incident.

July 26, 2015 8:02 am  #3

who or what is a CAJ, please

July 26, 2015 10:41 am  #4

I worked with Robert; back in the 70's; when he was at CJAD; in Montreal. A wonderful guy and very professional. Regarding dieter's post.  A few times in my career I had people either not show up; or worse; not even call in for a phone interview.  Two of them were respected Toronto celebrities.  One was the leader of a huge 60's group and the other didn't call three times in a row; but she is now deceased and I won't mention her name.

It happens and you never forget. In my case especially the two highly thought of Toronto celebrities. In artists defense it is often the fault of their management who haven't even informed them.

July 26, 2015 10:45 am  #5

I thought the same thing about their management.  Often they never know what they're agreeing to and what they aren't.  

Or they're like me, file it to 'get back to it later' and end up aplogizing for forgetting all about it 10 years later when I find out someone thinks I'm an asshole.    (Inevitable discovery, but why expedite it.)

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 26, 2015 10:45 am  #6

Kilgore: CAJ = The Canadian Association of Journalists.  Bearsville: Yes, you don't forget things like this.