sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2017 11:59 pm  #1

Sunrise to take 70 HMV locations

Yonge & Dundas is NOT one of the 70 locations Sunrise will take.
Source: http://globalnews.ca/news/3274299/hmv-locations-to-be-filled-with-sunrise-records/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 27, 2017 12:22 am  #2

Re: Sunrise to take 70 HMV locations

I thought Sunrise was gone already.  I know the Eastgate Mall location in East Hamilton disappeared.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 27, 2017 12:41 am  #3

A lot of stores closed but new owners in 2014 have led to expansion and now 70 new stores. Especially in areas with no locations before. Will be nice to see

February 27, 2017 2:04 am  #4

Jody Thornton wrote:

I thought Sunrise was gone already.  I know the Eastgate Mall location in East Hamilton disappeared.

Jody, the only reason why Sunrise @ Yonge & Dundas closed is because Malcom sold the business in 2014, but he owns that building.  
When Doug took over the Sunrise business they could not shake hands on what rent to pay Malcom, so he (Malcom) flushed out the Sunrise and put his own Jean Machine clearance there instead.
That particular closing has nothing to do with the potential success or failure of Sunrise itself.

There were still a few locations around, just few and far between. 
Taking over 70 HMV's and not having to compete with HMV...this will be interesting.
I hope they can pull it off. I wish them all the best and I look forward to doing some shopping there.

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 27, 2017 2:05 am)

February 28, 2017 7:43 pm  #5

We’re not worried. Our customers buy Duff for its robust taste, not its alcoholic content. I predict our alcohol-free Duff Zero will sell even better than its previous brand.

January 24, 2018 9:37 am  #6

This thread was originally posted in Feb. 2017, just about a year ago. Now here's the update. And for the guy who took a chance on what was supposed to be a dying retail space, it seemed to have worked very well.

Vinyl Is Spinning Huge Sales For Sunrise Records

January 24, 2018 9:56 am  #7

They are also succeeding with (relatively) inexpensive record players.  If you have boxes of vintage vinyl in your basement but no turntable, you don't need Bay/Bloor.     A portable unit in a pressed cardboard cabinet works fine on 1950/s, 60s, 70s vinyl.

January 24, 2018 10:17 am  #8

Ah, yes. Nothing like sanding down your mint condition Beatles collection with a 'Crosley'-branded portable. Or a mall-priced 180g reissue, for that matter.

January 24, 2018 10:29 am  #9

Chrisphen wrote:

Nothing like sanding down your mint condition Beatles collection with a 'Crosley'-branded portable

thousands of LPs show up at collector shows for which value is mainly in the artistry of the album cover, not the recording itself

January 24, 2018 10:36 am  #10

Sunrise is only doing well because they told the higher priced landlords to shove it.
(ie not opening in Toronto anywhere or even Scarborough for that matter...)

Once the HMV sublet leases come to an end I don't think Sunrise will be motivated to continue on with as many stores...then again, maybe there is enough success to pay higher rent, and hopefully without having to raise prices.

January 24, 2018 3:10 pm  #11

geo wrote:

They are also succeeding with (relatively) inexpensive record players.  If you have boxes of vintage vinyl in your basement but no turntable, you don't need Bay/Bloor.     A portable unit in a pressed cardboard cabinet works fine on 1950/s, 60s, 70s vinyl.

Also, don't forget that most, if not all of today's turntables now include a USB port. 

January 24, 2018 6:28 pm  #12

There is a Sunrise Record store running strong in Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke.  The problem I find with Sunrise is their inflated prices.   Why should I buy $10 and up USED records there when a flea market or a private vinyl store will sell for what its acutally worth in the same shape.  Same goes for the new copies.

February 26, 2018 8:31 pm  #13

Sunrise Scarborough town is now back in business.
It's a smaller store, but I'm still glad to see it back. 
(Just opened yesterday...)