sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2015 9:38 am  #1

CBC Slammed Over Pan Am Coverage

Canada's national broadcaster is being publicly lambasted everywhere - including by comments on its own website - for the coverage of the Pan Am games. Or rather, the lack of it. Viewers are complaining en masse that most of the major marquee events, including the ones where Canada is doing well, are barely being shown, if at all. And the Corp's endless boasts about streaming everything is falling far short of reality. 

In some cases, viewers have been forced to tune into otherwise semi-obscure channels just to see some of the events, like a soccer match shown only on Telelatino. For its part, the CBC explains it's being restricted from what it can show, a rather odd claim considering they're the exclusive host broadcaster in the host country.

I'm not a fan of the games or the almost mind boggling amount of taxpayer money spent on them, so it doesn't really affect me. But if this was on my "must see TV" list, I'd be as pissed off as those who eat, drink and breathe this stuff. HOV lanes, poor marketing, "stay out of Toronto" warnings from organizers, excessive spending, a "don't link to our Pan Am site under threat of a huge fine" warning (now dropped, but the PR damage has been done), a "you-can't-sell-tickets-you-can't-use" online edict and now this. If incompetence was a Pan Am event and criticism of coverage was included, both the organizers of this thing and the CBC would easily take the gold.

Pan Am fans pan CBC’s TV coverage

July 14, 2015 10:06 am  #2

Re: CBC Slammed Over Pan Am Coverage

I would have used the headline "CBC Panned over Pan Am Games"...but that's just me.  

But it's true.  While 'Canada's National Broadcaster' was airing Calgary Stampede events over the weekend, my girlfriend and I had to skip down to TeleLatinNo to watch diving highlights.  

Last edited by Doug Thompson (July 14, 2015 10:08 am)

July 14, 2015 10:52 pm  #3

I watched a little bit this afternoon.  Beach volleyball.  It was OK.  If it had been men playing...I wouldn't have watched it for more than 2 seconds.

Really?  It's the athletes who will make it work.  Dwight suggesting, afterwards as he headed into weather, that it had been "raining gold medals" was good during the newscast which followed.

Toronto organizers look like they've really blown it though.  At least so far.

July 15, 2015 9:25 am  #4

You Pan-Am trolls sound really down about the whole thing.  You're certainly not as bad as everyone's old friend John Kato, but a lot of us are enjoying the Games.  The problems you're talking about have been pretty minor.  Get out and enjoy!

July 15, 2015 3:47 pm  #5

Of the 41 participating countries in these "games", only 7 broadcasters have purchased the rights for their respective country. The largest being CBC/SRC, and ESPN / ESPN DEPORTES in the USA. . 

For the games officials, it looks like the revenue from broadcast rights may be a tad on the shy side....   but CBC still has to plan and mount coverage for all of the sanctioned sports.  

CBC brass have stated on previous occasions that live television sports will play a increasingly lessor role in their programming.

When the broadcast rights for T.O. 2015 were being shopped around, both Rogers and Bell took a pass...  Even Bell which enjoyed success, prestige, and revenue from the Vancouver 2010 Winters Olympics opted out of bidding for the Sochi 2014 games...  The Pan Ams are three rungs down from the Olympics...   (the Common Wealth Games are even above the Pan Ams in ranking).  When two private broadcasters do not want to entertain a bid for  the Pan Am Games, well...  what does that tell you

When Bell or Rogers chose not to be involved, I'm sure the CBC was "encouraged" to step up and bid.

It seems like the CBC is damned if they do, and damned if they don`t.

-----------------------
update -  CBC announced this afternoon that they are expanding their coverage of Pan Am 2015.  They will incrrease coverage by 12 hours  which will be 1 additional hour per day Mon - Fri and the balance on weekends,

Last edited by Glen Warren (July 15, 2015 8:18 pm)

July 15, 2015 8:33 pm  #6

Cuppla comments...Dieter...We're talkin' the games on TV primarily.  It's not at all about "gettin' out' and catchin' 'em live.  Glen...CTV was not interested in the Rissian winter Olympics because there was a question as to whether or not the Canadians were going to ice a team.  CTV wanted to pay the IOC XX if Team Canada was going to participate and x if they wouldn't be there.  The IOC in it's infinite wisdom said "no",  It's a one price only system you see.

Bell is smarter than THAT.  It could have been a LOSE/LOSE situation.  They didn't chance it.  If the proposal had been accepted by the IOC Bell would have teamed up with CBC to make it happen as Rogers was out no matter what happened.  As for the Pan Am games CBC was bidding against the CBC.  They chose to spend WAY too much time on that horse killing stampede and not enough time on the once every 4 years games.  Damed if they did...'cause they didn't.

All that's left for them to do now is do a decent job.  THAT seems to be a challenge.  Setting new/higher broadcast bars for the future is so far out of their reach that we'd be fools to expect it.

July 15, 2015 10:41 pm  #7

dieter wrote:

You Pan-Am trolls sound really down about the whole thing.  You're certainly not as bad as everyone's old friend John Kato, but a lot of us are enjoying the Games.  The problems you're talking about have been pretty minor.  Get out and enjoy!

I'm glad you're enjoying the games. At least someone is getting something out of them.

That doesn't mean everyone has to join in the rah-rah party that, as predicted, has led to mindless cheerleading amongst the Toronto media. In addition to all the disruptions for those who don't care about this bloated event, it's hard to take some of the so-called sports seriously. I mean handball is a medalled competition? Roller figure skating? Sounds like a satire SCTV might have attempted. Water polo? What's next, Hide and Seek, Hopscotch and Tag?

And I wouldn't call the $2.5 billion (with a "b") spent on this ego trip for politicians "pretty minor." There's a very good chance it will be a lot higher than that when all is said and done, and you, your children and their kids will still be paying the bill for all this a long time after it's forgotten who won the gold in handball.

That doesn't make me a troll, a Kato-sound-a-like or a spoilsport. Just a fed-up taxpayer whose only medal event is trying to have enough money at the end of the month to pay what he owes. And believe me, there's no gold in that.

July 17, 2015 12:07 pm  #8

for the past 8 days i worked at a panam venue that featured several matches being sold out. it was also a sport (badminton) that canada was expected to win medals (including gold) and the athletes didn't disappoint. plus the gold medal match, for women's singles, featured canadian vs canadian. the action was fast, the place was packed, and the fans were extremly animated . as word got out, cbc decided to send several camera people to document the action (albeit for very breif "highlites"). i know "badminton" gets a bad rap, in north america, but it is the fastest of all raquet sports plus it's been reported to be the #2 most popular sport in the world (soccer being #1).

July 17, 2015 5:35 pm  #9

where else can one sit under a $12,000 umbrella on a beach named for a sugar refinery and watch international sailing competition (out there, somewhere) free of charge?

July 17, 2015 7:42 pm  #10

That Hank guy is full of moose poop.  Look here..."but it is the fastest of all raquet sports plus it's been reported to be the #2 most popular sport in the world (soccer being #1)."

What a dink.  AND...I used to work with him and thought that HE was an HONORABLE gentleman...  WRONGO.

Hank...THE fastest fourhand game IN THE WORLD is...when 'it' slips out.

July 18, 2015 10:12 am  #11

Old Codger wrote:

That Hank guy is full of moose poop

Is it possible you have the original hank confused with Hank II who was also into racketeering, but not badminton    

July 18, 2015 4:19 pm  #12

The info comes directly from Rocket J. Squirrel.  An expert on the subject if there there was one.

July 18, 2015 8:19 pm  #13

me thinks you might be sniffing the tale end of mr. peabody. 

July 18, 2015 8:53 pm  #14

obviously, at one time, i came across as boris badenov to a certain aging codger (and a former fellow pelmorex network employee) mmm...  i've ticked off more than a few people over the years but nobody at robert speck parkway... that    i    know of...  help me out with this one billy boy (naw, it couldn't be t.t., he wouldn't want to know).  is this about me stating i wasn't a fan of a certain morning show? gawd, that was over 10 years ago, but i do know an ego was bruised for several years after that (sorry 'bout that... it was nothing personal). as far as the flying squirrell coment,  hey, aint we all to some degree?  this IS a broadcasting board. well, if i'm that dis-honorable perhaps i should run for office.... yeh... that's the ticket!

Last edited by the original hank (July 18, 2015 8:54 pm)

July 18, 2015 10:39 pm  #15

Hank...We're ALL good...It was just the forehand/fourhand thing/joke.  And Pelmorex was aces.

Oh...and...Rocket J.  would be an expert on Mooses you see...'cause he and Bullwinkle were like best buds etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by Old Codger (July 18, 2015 10:43 pm)

July 18, 2015 10:50 pm  #16

no problem... but you did have me wonderin'.

July 18, 2015 11:01 pm  #17

I needed to add winks and shyte.  Sorry.