sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2016 4:49 pm  #1

Legendary Radio Pirate Applies For Legit Licence

Radio Caroline wants to be back on air for the 50th anniversary of its first broadcast. It's a legendary pirate station in Britain, made famous again in a recent movie, that's been operating from offshore on the Internet for years. Although why they'd want an AM signal is beyond me. 

Pirate radio station Radio Caroline aims to rock the waves again with AM signal licence application

December 3, 2016 7:56 am  #2

Re: Legendary Radio Pirate Applies For Legit Licence

Cool. Y'know, a few of us DXers periodically travel to coastal Newfoundland, set up antennas, hoist a mickey of screech, and spend the week listening for distant AM signals. We've heard as far away as South Africa, Japan and India. But we've also heard some pretty low-power signals - AM pirates from Serbia, Greece and the Netherlands.  I once e-mailed a call-in program on Radio Napoleon - as one AM pirate was called - and they mentioned us on-air. Also have heard some fairly low-power commercial broadcasters from the U.K.  Radio Caroline would be entirely possible! Haven't been to Nfld for this in a new years, maybe next year...

December 3, 2016 10:34 am  #3

In approx 1982 Nelson Skalbania was running around Vancouver waving an option to acquire all rights to Radio Carolina and was seeking financial backing to bring it alive.     This was after his usual sources of funding had backed him & lost with the Indianapolis Racers of the WHA and then the Montreal Alouettes/Montreal Concorde CFL fiasco

Sorry Nelson.    Go back to Skalbania

K.

December 4, 2016 1:35 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Although why they'd want an AM signal is beyond me. 

If the intent is to continue playing music from that time, the answer is obvious.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 4, 2016 2:28 pm  #5

well yes and no in terms of AM. Don't forget that by the early 70's Top 40 was expanding to FM in the US particularly. Also remember the AM stereo of the 80's ( ok so it was not exactly an unqualified success). Increasingly after 1969 singles were actually released in stereo. The oldies format as it took off in the 80's played stereo versions of many songs when available and to my ears they sounded great.

Yes there's the mono purists but give me stereo any time. An example below is the garage/frat Billboard hit by The Swinging Medallions. I'll take the stereo version of this and their other Billboard classic "Double Shot of My Baby's Love"

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/