sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2016 12:28 am  #1

STAR 102.5 HO HO HO

Not a huge surprise, but as of yesterday, WTSS-FM has gone all Christmas. Who is really ready this early to listen to back to back Christmas music, or am I being naive?

November 10, 2016 1:50 am  #2

Re: STAR 102.5 HO HO HO

RADIOFREAK wrote:

Not a huge surprise, but as of yesterday, WTSS-FM has gone all Christmas. Who is really ready this early to listen to back to back Christmas music, or am I being naive?

Buffalo is a completely different market than Toronto. There are two stations at war with each other, simply trying to be the first to do the whole Christmas music thing.

Here in Toronto, CHFI can relax and wait until after November 11th, knowing that there is no other station intending to go all Christmas in Toronto...unless a format change somewhere on the dial is about to happen, but I highly doubt it.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 10, 2016 7:18 am  #3

In the past they've had a Scrooge button on their website that you could click for an alternate stream of non-Christmas music.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

November 21, 2016 4:45 pm  #4

Paul Jeffries wrote:

In the past they've had a Scrooge button on their website that you could click for an alternate stream of non-Christmas music.

PJ

And they have that option once again.

Star just exchanged one form of torture(the U.S. election)for another(an early start to Christmas music).

November 21, 2016 5:08 pm  #5

ckg927 wrote:

Star just exchanged one form of torture(the U.S. election)for another(an early start to Christmas music).

Apparently you're not the only one thinking that way. This is from Alan Pergament in The Buffalo News on Friday:

"If there is anything as aggravating as how early a presidential campaign starts, it is probably how early holiday-themed music is played on the radio.

A day or so after Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election, I turned on Star 102.5 to hear “Jingle Bells” and other holiday classics.

I immediately put it up for an unofficial vote whether it was too early. The returns were too close to call. Some people thought radio stations should wait until after Thanksgiving. Others thought it was nice to hear some joyful music after the nasty election campaign was over.

I was on the side of those who thought it was too early."

Alan Pergament's column