sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2016 1:00 pm  #1

New Radio Station For Grimsby-Beamsville Could Be Coming

The CRTC has determined that a station in Grimsby-Beamsville could be viable, even though there are a plethora of stations currently serving the Hamilton-Niagara-St. Catharines market. It follows an application by Dufferin Communications for a potential new FM outlet there. 

I love the immediate reaction. In its official release, the Commission notes interventions from Bell, Rogers, Durham Radio, and Corus - which all operate stations in the local DMA - saying they already cover the existing terrain and under no circumstances should a new station get the go-ahead. Translation: we don't want any more competition. 

But the CRTC, in its wisdom, has determined a new low power station wouldn't take business away from any of them, so now they're opening up the field with a call for applications. It will be interesting to see if Bell, Rogers or Corus try to grab yet another frequency for themselves, after insisting there's no room in the market.

Which brings up another issue - with the dial already so crowded, where in the world would they put a potential newcomer?

CRTC Call For Applications

November 10, 2016 1:12 pm  #2

Re: New Radio Station For Grimsby-Beamsville Could Be Coming

just a slight correction, it's not low-power.  Limited signal, yes.  Dufferin had applied for 88.5FM with an ERP of 2,000 watts.

The CRTC shut down Bell Corus, and Rogers with a big FU by saying "...most of the stations in the markets of Hamilton and St. Catharines-Niagara are operated by large, well-experienced broadcasters that provide multiple services in the area and are in a position to sustain any additional competition that a service in Grimsby and Beamsville could introduce in the market. "

Could be an interesting bun fight.

November 10, 2016 1:16 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Which brings up another issue - with the dial already so crowded, where in the world would they put a potential newcomer?

88.5 FM. Keep on mind also, that as long as a radio station in Canada does not interfere with American soil, they can block out an American station without hassle.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 10, 2016 1:35 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

88.5 FM. Keep on mind also, that as long as a radio station in Canada does not interfere with American soil, they can block out an American station without hassle.

i think that only applies to FM though, yes?

November 10, 2016 4:51 pm  #5

LOL.  Again, classic CRTC rationale.   So, Grimbsy can support a station, but Burlington can not?   That makes zero sense.     A small signal / station in Burlington would hurt Bell, Corus and Durham Radio but a bigger signal / station in Grimsby won't hurt Bell, Vista, Corus?

Errrrrr..... Ok.

November 10, 2016 5:31 pm  #6

Quite sad really that Fred C. Dobbs, the self proclaimed sage of Beamsville didn't live long enough to see this happen...

November 10, 2016 5:46 pm  #7

unclefester wrote:

Quite sad really that Fred C. Dobbs, the self proclaimed sage of Beamsville didn't live long enough to see this happen... 

He used to say that Beamsville was Grimsby's liquor store.

November 10, 2016 6:10 pm  #8

RadioQuiz wrote:

LOL. Again, classic CRTC rationale. So, Grimbsy can support a station, but Burlington can not? That makes zero sense. A small signal / station in Burlington would hurt Bell, Corus and Durham Radio but a bigger signal / station in Grimsby won't hurt Bell, Vista, Corus?

Errrrrr..... Ok.

Format is also something to ponder though...

November 10, 2016 7:07 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

unclefester wrote:

He was a funny old bastard...

R.I.P.

November 10, 2016 9:07 pm  #10

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioQuiz wrote:

LOL. Again, classic CRTC rationale. So, Grimbsy can support a station, but Burlington can not? That makes zero sense. A small signal / station in Burlington would hurt Bell, Corus and Durham Radio but a bigger signal / station in Grimsby won't hurt Bell, Vista, Corus?

Errrrrr..... Ok.

Format is also something to ponder though...

format is still unknown... but educated guess suggests Dufferin will install another Jewel format.

November 10, 2016 11:46 pm  #11

splunge wrote:

format is still unknown... but educated guess suggests Dufferin will install another Jewel format.

...and that's exactly a good point. It may very well be that all the "complaints" are halted based on the opinion that it's a station targeting an age group that "they" all don't wish to bother with.

Now, if Zoomer were to desire a station out that way...

November 10, 2016 11:56 pm  #12

unclefester wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

unclefester wrote:

He was a funny old bastard...

R.I.P.

Michael Magee was a genius and a very funny man. I had the pleasure of working with him, but just once. A nicer guy you'd never want to meet.

He once did a segment on his old TVO show, Magee & Co., that satirized Reach for the Top. It was called "Reach for the Bottom" and featured him doing at least nine of his characters sitting on the panel, all at the same time. At one point, one of them screams out, "This is as stupid as Party Game!" 

The show aired in the early 70s, but all these years later, I still remember that episode. I've been searching for it for years, but I think they erased everything or else it's hiding in some OECTA vault somewhere, never to be seen again. 

As it turns out, I have an extensive collection of the erstwhile "Mr. Dobbs" appearing on Keith Rich's show on CKEY in the 70s, and I've  uploaded two of my favourites if you'd like to hear how brilliant he was. The link goes to a segment in which he rails on and on about how terrible the CBC was in covering a big news story. It still makes me laugh. Hope it does for you, too, Unc. I can add more if you'd like to hear them. 

Fred C Dobbs on EY: The Bank Hostage Taking & The CBC  

November 11, 2016 12:25 am  #13

I've spent too much time over the years wondering who would have won arm wrestling...

Fred C. Dobbs vs. Charlie Farquharson....

November 11, 2016 4:03 am  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

splunge wrote:

...and that's exactly a good point. It may very well be that all the "complaints" are halted based on the opinion that it's a station targeting an age group that "they" all don't wish to bother with.

Now, if Zoomer were to desire a station out that way...

interesting idea... Byrnes was shut down in Burlington... but showed intrest here... maybe theCRTC is sending a message?

August 8, 2019 8:49 pm  #15

just over a year after Durham Radio was granted a licence for Grimsby, and have yet to go on-air, they submitted a new technical application to expand their coverage area in the 3mV/m contour from approx 38,000 to nearly 90,000 people, toward Hamilton.

Go figure.