sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2016 11:24 am  #2

Re: CHCH sells building

Some details about the sale of CHCH, courtesy of Paul Wilson in The Hamilton Spectator.

The building will be owned by a company called Television City Inc. Wilson says the deal will close next week, with the purchase price being $7 Million. I thought details were hidden under a confidentiality agreement. 

CHCH will rent half the building for the next two and a half years.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/6952247-paul-wilson-history-on-the-hill-rolls-on-goodbye-chch-hello-television-city/

November 8, 2016 6:26 pm  #3

How much did they get for the people who were in it?

May 26, 2021 6:52 pm  #4

This is the last week CHCH will broadcast from their current and longtime location on Jackson St in Hamilton. They won't be moving into their new location on Innovation Drive until the fall, but I guess the new owner is ready to move on. CHCH already tweeted that the weekend news will be broadcast from Niagara Falls this weekend while they move.

On tonight's Evening News, they showed some mock ups of the new set in a story looking back at the station. Looks like they are ditching the virtual set. They were the first station in Canada to use a virtual set when they became ONtv. Now Global is really the only one that uses them.

They said for the time being, they will be broadcasting from a temporary location starting next week. Theiw new place is still very much under construction.

I've attached some screen grabs of the new set from their livestream on Youtube. As a side note, I find it funny they are using the old Channel 11 logo in the mock ups. And on what appears to be a dedicated sports set, looking like the gates to Tim Hortons field, the number 11 in on the side. They also appear to have an on-set weather centre to the right of the anchor desk, with the sports set beside the weather centre.

secret link maker

May 26, 2021 7:11 pm  #5

The question is, are these "mock ups" of a physical set, or is this just the mock up design of the new virtual set? Haha. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still using a virtual one and this is just something to show off. 

Do they still have an office in Niagara Falls? That's where I assume the evening news will be done until the fall?

May 26, 2021 7:40 pm  #6

torontostan wrote:

The question is, are these "mock ups" of a physical set, or is this just the mock up design of the new virtual set? Haha. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still using a virtual one and this is just something to show off. 

Do they still have an office in Niagara Falls? That's where I assume the evening news will be done until the fall?

Yes, design renderings for a new physical set.  The virtual look will be used in current and temporary space until they move into the new building later in the year.

The temporary space is supposedly across the street from the new building location in Dundas or Waterdown.

May 27, 2021 8:11 am  #7

Brad wrote:

Some details about the sale of CHCH, courtesy of Paul Wilson in The Hamilton Spectator.

The building will be owned by a company called Television City Inc. Wilson says the deal will close next week, with the purchase price being $7 Million. I thought details were hidden under a confidentiality agreement. 

CHCH will rent half the building for the next two and a half years.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/6952247-paul-wilson-history-on-the-hill-rolls-on-goodbye-chch-hello-television-city/

I loved the historical photos of 163 Jackson St. Especially the sign for the long ago silent CJSH FM.

May 29, 2021 11:06 pm  #8

Watching the 11pm news, and the anchor is indeed outside with the falls in the background. Surprised they can filter the noise out! 

May 30, 2021 4:45 am  #9

torontostan wrote:

Watching the 11pm news, and the anchor is indeed outside with the falls in the background. Surprised they can filter the noise out! 

They mentioned (numerous times) that they are inside at the Marriott overlooking the falls...

May 30, 2021 4:22 pm  #10

Glen Warren wrote:

torontostan wrote:

They mentioned (numerous times) that they are inside at the Marriott overlooking the falls...

The 11pm was actually outside, but yes, at the Marriott nonetheless 

May 30, 2021 4:50 pm  #11

Apparently, there's another heritage television building in Ontario that's about to undergo a big change. 

End Of An Era For Timmins TV Employees

May 30, 2021 9:31 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Apparently, there's another heritage television building in Ontario that's about to undergo a big change. 

End Of An Era For Timmins TV Employees

I’ve heard Bell is doing the same thing with their North Bay CTV Northern Ontario station, and CTV Atlantic in Moncton.

May 31, 2021 6:01 pm  #13

From Morning Live. A final look at their Jackson St location, and a preview of their new building. Summer camp will be the next few months for the station. The new owner of Jackson St didn't want to renew the lease, so they had to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRH4LnbHQ9U

March 29, 2022 5:21 pm  #14

Looks like today is the day. Phil Perkins posted a video on Twitter a few hours ago of Taz and him presumably rehearing. Saying no more green screen, it's a real set. I don't know if the morning show was still on the virtual set this morning.

March 29, 2022 6:18 pm  #15

Brad wrote:

Looks like today is the day. Phil Perkins posted a video on Twitter a few hours ago of Taz and him presumably rehearing. Saying no more green screen, it's a real set. I don't know if the morning show was still on the virtual set this morning.

"presumably rehearing" (sic) does not mean go for launch...  it is just a blocking/rehearsal...

a friend in the inside tells me that the launch date is set for April 11th...