sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2016 9:54 pm  #1

I’ve Got A Secret: To Tell The Truth, It’s What’s My Line

I love vintage TV, when lots of shows were live and less slick, with mistakes making it to air. Which is why I was so surprised to learn, thanks to television journalist Bill Brioux’s site, that some old, rarely seen black and white game shows are back on the air in Canada – and they come without cutting out some of the classic old commercials.

Yes TV, the former CTS, which airs on cable systems across the country and also over the air here on channel 36, is rounding out their middle-of-the-night sked with original Goodson-Todman black and white classics, “What’s My Line,” “I’ve Got A Secret” (created by Allan Sherman, the guy who recorded “Hello Mudda Hello Faddah” back in the 60s and had a couple of wonderful novelty albums), and my personal favourite, “To Tell The Truth,” which was revived for ABC this past summer and will return again next year.

The source is actually BuzzrTV, a subcarrier all-game show network meant for OTA stations in the States, that doesn't air in Buffalo. 

But if you want to watch these rarely-seen specimens from the vault, you’ll almost certainly need a DVR. They air here Monday-Saturday from 1-4 AM.

It’s kind of like a channel surf. But in this case, it’s more like Bennett Cerf.

November 3, 2016 11:48 pm  #2

Re: I’ve Got A Secret: To Tell The Truth, It’s What’s My Line

Good enough for Yes TV, but not good enough for Game TV Canada? Hmmm...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 4, 2016 7:12 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I love vintage TV, when lots of shows were live and less slick, with mistakes making it to air. Which is why I was so surprised to learn, thanks to television journalist Bill Brioux’s site, that some old, rarely seen black and white game shows are back on the air in Canada – and they come without cutting out some of the classic old commercials.

Yes TV, the former CTS, which airs on cable systems across the country and also over the air here on channel 36, is rounding out their middle-of-the-night sked with original Goodson-Todman black and white classics, “What’s My Line,” “I’ve Got A Secret” (created by Allan Sherman, the guy who recorded “Hello Mudda Hello Faddah” back in the 60s and had a couple of wonderful novelty albums), and my personal favourite, “To Tell The Truth,” which was revived for ABC this past summer and will return again next year.

The source is actually BuzzrTV, a subcarrier all-game show network meant for OTA stations in the States, that doesn't air in Buffalo. 

But if you want to watch these rarely-seen specimens from the vault, you’ll almost certainly need a DVR. They air here Monday-Saturday from 1-4 AM.

It’s kind of like a channel surf. But in this case, it’s more like Bennett Cerf.

Thanks!  That's was quite the Soupy Sales job. ;)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 6, 2016 9:13 pm  #4

I've been actively PVR'ing them!  Love the old game shows!

Incidentally, a few years back when GSN was showing old B&W reruns of What's My Line, they had an episode of with a lady from Elmira, Ontario on.  I had taped the show on VHS (yes, it was that long ago.)
I looked up the last name in the local phone book and called the first one listed.
I explained that I had taped this episode from 1956 with a Mrs. Wydmyer and asked if this was her... there was a long pause and she said "Yes, that was me"
I sent the tape to her to share with her family and she was extremely grateful!

On a pleasant side note, I visited Mr & Mrs. Wydmyer at their invitation where we watched that What's My Line episode.  The guest star that episode was Jack Lemon.  
Mr. Wydmyer said to watch Jack Lemon as his wife walked past the panel.   He was a little miffed that Jack Lemon was checking out his wife's ass.  LOL

Davester.

P.S.  Mrs. Wydmyer was a female baseball umpire.

Last edited by Davester (November 6, 2016 9:14 pm)