sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2016 11:22 am  #1

Would You Pay 200% More To Fund A Campus Radio Station?

That's the question students at the U. of T.'s Scarborough campus are being asked, as organizers there try to get its station, known as Fusion Radio, off its sole Internet feed and back over the air. 

Fusion Radio seeks 200 per cent levy increase in referendum

The article makes it clear those behind the idea think the station is a vital, necessary part of university life. But don't I keep reading that Millennials don't listen to over the air radio anymore? So why pay extra for something they won't use?

Last edited by RadioActive (September 19, 2016 11:24 am)

September 20, 2016 3:26 am  #2

Re: Would You Pay 200% More To Fund A Campus Radio Station?

RadioActive wrote:

The article makes it clear those behind the idea think the station is a vital, necessary part of university life. But don't I keep reading that Millennials don't listen to over the air radio anymore? So why pay extra for something they won't use?

The article is a bit misleading.
There are some people involved with Fusion radio who are not (current?) students there.
They maintain status as "Community members".

Something else is also not making sense here.
A year ago the same question was already asked.
I was led to believe that the fees have already increased to $12.85...
From 2015:
"Scarborough Campus Community Radio Inc. (SCCR, also known as Fusion Radio) is seeking consent from its members to increase its student fee. The proposed increase is for $8 per term, from $4.85 to $12.85."
"The increase would come into effect in the 2016 Fall academic session (for registered full-time undergraduate students"

https://www.reddit.com/r/UofT/comments/3vqjtp/utsc_fusion_radio_hosting_a_referendum_to/

In other Fusion news, here's their expense detail report...I hope it all adds up because I can tell you right now that the DJ host reward program is PURE B.S.!!
So far, they gave nothing to someone who has been there a long time (and rightfully deserves...something)
and they give a prize pool of money (can be up to $1000) to others who somehow deserve it.
I like to think that those who have been with the station a while deserve to get more than what they got (some got nothing)
Sorry, I really shouldn't turn this into such a rant, I just believe that the DJ reward program could have been much better managed, or that maybe they never should have offered any money at all if they're just going to throw it around the way they did, instead of trying harder to see that all their DJs at least got something for their efforts.

Fusion expense detail report, November 2015:
http://www.fusionradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Budget_Forecast.pdf

Also from the 2015 Referendum: http://www.fusionradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Referendum_Presentation.pdf

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 20, 2016 4:06 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 6, 2016 11:00 am  #3

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 6, 2016 12:35 pm  #4

"Would You Pay 200% More To Fund A Campus Radio Station?"

N O .

I wouldn't pay a dime...nor even a plug nickel or an obsolete penny...and when I attended college I didn't then either.  It wasn't required... ... ...or even suggested.    Campus radio is 'fine' if it's there to enhance a media/radio programme or course.  In that case the government/college should pay ALL of the bills.   It's just part of what it is they're supposed to offer in order to make their radio course truly VALID.

Otherwise?  It's either what used to be accurately described as "play radio" or it  IS, or it becomes, a community radio station.  At THAT point it's 100% up to the community to fund it.

When advertisers 'fund'  BAD private radio...do they find themselves being held accountable by the public for helping to support shyte?  They should.  Don't shop at businesses which give money to keep lousy, poop-laden programming afloat.  In fact call the business in question and TELL them WHY you're not coming to spend YOUR money at their little hole in the wall.  And don't supply ANY of your money to campus radio because it's not YOUR responsibility.  For community radio?  Support your favourite hosts and shows just as you would PBS.  Able-bodied freeloaders are NEVER to be respected.  You wouldn't let someone join your table at the bar and then just watch close-lipped as they fail to grab a round every time it's their turn. 

Does the N.I.B. or Career Academy still exist?  Of course now they don't need to.  Nowadays radio just up and  hires those potential 'students' to come 'work' for them.  All too often it sure does sound like it.  And...It fits the 'budget'.

Last edited by Old Codger (November 6, 2016 12:47 pm)