sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2016 5:12 pm  #1

Shomi to fade to black...

Video streaming service Shomi says it will shut down as of Nov. 30

The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Video streaming service Shomi announced Monday it will shut down at the end of November, two years after it launched.

"The business climate and online video marketplace have changed markedly in the last few years," David Asch, senior vice-president and general manager for Shomi, said in a statement.

"Combined with the fact that the business is more challenging to operate than we expected, we've decided to wind down our operations.

"Asch said the company remains proud of the service it launched and the role it play in evolving video landscape in Canada.

Shomi was launched by Rogers (TSX:RCI.B) and Shaw (TSX:SJR.B) in November 2014 in an effort to grab the attention of a growing number of people watching TV and movies online.

It was seen as a competitor to Netflix and other similar web streaming services.

"We tried something new, and customers who used Shomi loved it," Melani Griffith, senior vice-president of content at Rogers, said in another statement.

"It's like a great cult favourite with a fantastic core audience that unfortunately just isn't big enough to be renewed for another season.

"Rogers said it expects to incur a loss on investment of approximately $100 million to $140 million in its third quarter, which ends Friday.

http://www.thecanadianpress.com/english/online/OnlineFullStory.aspx?filename=DOR-MNN-CP.f3feccd603414a9681e00021da54b17b.CPKEY2008111300&newsitemid=38900792&languageid=1

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 26, 2016 5:16 pm)

September 26, 2016 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Shomi to fade to black...

What's interesting is that if you go to the shomi website, there's no notice of this yet. Instead, it urges you to subscribe and get a month free. In this case, it might be worth it - after this month, there won't be anything to pay.

I'm guessing that offer will be as short-lived as the service and will be removed soon.

Try shomi free for 30 days

Shomi had a number of Canadian exclusives, including the Emmy award winning Transparent, The Man In The High Castle, and Mozart in the Jungle, all from Amazon's streaming service. What happens to those series and where Canadians will be able to legally subscribe to them remains to be seen. 

Last edited by RadioActive (September 26, 2016 5:29 pm)

September 26, 2016 6:04 pm  #3

I should have known something was up the second I started seeing ads for Rogers Netflix deals...
(On public transit, as early as a few months ago...)

Also online:

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 26, 2016 6:05 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 26, 2016 6:20 pm  #4

Rogers maade this Breaking news... lol

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 26, 2016 6:23 pm)

September 26, 2016 6:44 pm  #5

Its probably just a ploy to get new and existing subs to opt for a higher tier broadband service and with that higher cost (profit for Rogers). Or they will just charge subs an overage charge for exceeding their download cap. each month. 

They will have no doubt swung some sort of deal with Netflix Canada to get the service at a discount. After the year is up, it is a new account for Netflix. 

btw... has anyone here subscribed to the Rogers 4K offering?

September 27, 2016 8:11 am  #6

Can't say I am surprised.  I'm with Rogers and they kept on giving me Shomi for free as part of a bundle arrangement.  I would have paid for it. 

There are a couple of Amazon titles I like.  I wonder where they will end up.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

September 27, 2016 12:28 pm  #7

Leslieville Bill wrote:

Can't say I am surprised.  I'm with Rogers and they kept on giving me Shomi for free as part of a bundle arrangement.  I would have paid for it. 

Shomi to me was an excuse to add more to my cable bill.
I did not want to pay $8.99 so I took a package that included Shomi free for two years.
Now I am expecting to get Netflix for free until my 2 year deal ends.

I would have kept renting my older modem for less if It weren't for Shomi.
Now my rental fee is $12 a month instead of the $7 I was paying before. 
The $5 difference was supposed to be a welcome thing, since I wouldn't be paying $8.99, and (possibly) I'd have a newer, better modem.

September 28, 2016 2:01 am  #8

Poor imitation of Netflix.
Failure looks good on Shaw and Robbers.

October 7, 2016 6:52 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

What's interesting is that if you go to the shomi website, there's no notice of this yet. Instead, it urges you to subscribe and get a month free. In this case, it might be worth it - after this month, there won't be anything to pay.

I'm guessing that offer will be as short-lived as the service and will be removed soon.

Try shomi free for 30 days

Shomi had a number of Canadian exclusives, including the Emmy award winning Transparent, The Man In The High Castle, and Mozart in the Jungle, all from Amazon's streaming service. What happens to those series and where Canadians will be able to legally subscribe to them remains to be seen. 

Okay, they fixed that link to now read that Shomi is no longer available for ordering.
My question is,
What will happen to the Amazon content??
http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/rogers-shaw-sign-deal-to-stream-original-amazon-video-content-on-shomi