sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2016 9:51 am  #1

How Not to Serve Your Viewers In An Unfolding Emergency

There is nothing funny about that terrible train crash in Hoboken. But I can't help noting this. A friend of mine with one of those grey market U.S. satellite dishes has been watching all the local coverage. He tells me every major station in the area, including WNBC, WABC, WCBS, WPIX and WNYW, has interrupted network or regular programming to cover the unfolding tragedy except one - WWOR, Channel 9, the only station actually licenced to the state of New Jersey,

What are they showing while all this is going on? The 700 Club. 

Way to serve your area of licence!

September 29, 2016 11:37 am  #2

Re: How Not to Serve Your Viewers In An Unfolding Emergency

Four years ago there was a serious derailment at Aldershot (Burlington).    Did people who were interested not turn to staffed news outlets such as 1010 CFRB or 680 news for details?   Or did they turn to AM740 which is located closer to the tragedy?   Hoboken is for all practical purposes suburban New York City.    Lots of pure news outlets (as you've correctly pointed out).    

September 29, 2016 11:56 am  #3

Yeah, but there's even less excuse in this case. Both WWOR and WNYW are owned by Fox - and the latter had live coverage. In a pinch, Channel 9 could certainly have picked up that feed, as they have done on other occasions when there's breaking news in the so-called Tri-State area. Instead, the viewers in Secaucus - one of the few actual stations in New Jersey - got The 700 Club. Let's at least hope they were "praying" for the victims. 

September 29, 2016 8:29 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Let's at least hope they were "praying" for the victims. 

Why?  The 'man in the sky' is listening?  That'll REALLY help.

September 29, 2016 8:50 pm  #5

Old Codger wrote:

The 'man in the sky' is listening?

Darryl's "stump the chump" segments were always entertaining regardless of traffic chaos

September 30, 2016 4:46 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

There is nothing funny about that terrible train crash in Hoboken. But I can't help noting this. A friend of mine with one of those grey market U.S. satellite dishes has been watching all the local coverage. He tells me every major station in the area, including WNBC, WABC, WCBS, WPIX and WNYW, has interrupted network or regular programming to cover the unfolding tragedy except one - WWOR, Channel 9, the only station actually licenced to the state of New Jersey,

What are they showing while all this is going on? The 700 Club. 

Way to serve your area of licence!

No surprise there. The problem has been going on for a few years now...

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/new-jersey-senate-hopeful-wants-fcc-to-revoke-wwors-license/97728

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.