sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2016 9:43 am  #1

Toronto Radio Station To Air U.S. Presidential Debate

You can certainly understand why the Gong Show that is this year's American race for the White House would be considered a ratings or attention grabber. And so it is that the inevitable has happened - CFRB has announced it will be airing Monday's first showdown between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on its airwaves starting at 9 PM. It's certainly possible other news/talk radio stations across Canada will also pick up the feed. 

My question: has this ever happened before? Sure, many outlets have put on the Canadian leaders' debates, some even staging their own, often to middling ratings. But I can't quite recall ever hearing broadcasters in the Great White North picking up an entire 90 minutes of what is essentially American-only politics on this side of the border.

I guess it shows the interest this insanity has engendered and I can only wonder if there are fireworks at the first tete-a-tete, if they'll also air the debates that follow.  

September 22, 2016 10:15 am  #2

Re: Toronto Radio Station To Air U.S. Presidential Debate

I was expecting CFRB to cover this debate. It's an instant ratings winner.
AM 640 is too busy being that half way to third sports station for Toronto to bother with such a thing anyway, no doubt...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 22, 2016 10:50 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

You can certainly understand why the Gong Show that is this year's American race for the White House would be considered a ratings or attention grabber. And so it is that the inevitable has happened - CFRB has announced it will be airing Monday's first showdown between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on its airwaves starting at 9 PM. It's certainly possible other news/talk radio stations across Canada will also pick up the feed. 

My question: has this ever happened before? Sure, many outlets have put on the Canadian leaders' debates, some even staging their own, often to middling ratings. But I can't quite recall ever hearing broadcasters in the Great White North picking up an entire 90 minutes of what is essentially American-only politics on this side of the border.

I guess it shows the interest this insanity has engendered and I can only wonder if there are fireworks at the first tete-a-tete, if they'll also air the debates that follow.  

CBL carried the first Kennedy-Nixon debate on September 26, 1960 on a tape-delayed basis. The debate, which started at 9:30 p.m., was broadcast at 11 p.m. on CBL.

Don't know about other years.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 22, 2016 10:55 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 22, 2016 11:38 am  #4

Interesting article "State of the Debate" in the current New Yorker magazine states that after Kennedy/Nixon there was no presidential debate until Ford/Carter in '76

September 22, 2016 11:49 am  #5

I was actually thinking of commercial stations, rather than the CBC, but the Nixon-Kennedy debate certainly counts. That was also the first televised one, if memory serves, so it would have been a big curiosity in any event. Monday's tussle has the opportunity to be a train wreck. It will be interesting to see if the same phenomenon applies in this case, as it did back then, where radio listeners thought a sweaty, non-make-up laden Nixon won, while TV viewers gave the nod to the more attractive Kennedy.

By the way, the start time is actually 8:30 not 9. I'll be listening to see if any other Canuck stations pick this up. 

Still, the debate can't hold a candle to what you might call the "pre-debate moment" of the Fall - Jerry Agar getting Kathleen Wynne on his show on Friday at 11:45 in the morning. That one could well be a pay-per-view event!